Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Extract coupon codes from deal description?
    I noticed that some networks like CJ (if I remember correctly) aren't including coupon codes as a separate datafeed field, but I noticed some merchants including the coupon code in the deal description.

How do you extract that code from the description for use as a variable ?

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I parse the description field looking for certain text. When I find that text, I can then parse out the actual coupon code by using strpos and substr functions.

I am looking for strings like "coupon code: " or "promo code ", etc.

Thank you

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Each time the script runs and finds a string that I do not have, I then identify that in the script and then go back and modify the script to add the new string in. At this point, I have about 30 else statements looking for various forms of "coupon code", "promo code", "w/code", "use code", "with code". There are a lot of variations.

But, as you say, having a separate field for the code would certainly make things easier.

Another way to go is to check if a word is all caps and contains at least 4 or more characters. Those are likely candidates for a coupon code. Probably need to use this in conjunction with Butts' idea though.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

strpos to determine where to start if it isn't false and substr to get whatever follows which should contain the code, right?

Is explode using space a good way to separate the code from whatever follows it?

Help
    I am also looking for the solution for the same. Is there any other suggestion anyone of you would like to give?

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Each time the script runs and finds a string that I do not have, I then identify that in the script and then go back and modify the script to add the new string in. At this point, I have about 30 else statements looking for various forms of "coupon code", "promo code", "w/code", "use code", "with code". There are a lot of variations.

But, as you say, having a separate field for the code would certainly make things easier.
    Does it works in all cases?

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts

Hi Seymour,

I am extracting CouponCode using different technique almost same what you specified. Can you provide me all the combination you are using.

Second MOST IMPORTANT, Can you please let me know how you are cleaning the description of Products to display as Title of Coupons.

Because normally Description have everything written, I just wanted to display 20% off on all order how it is displayed at CouponCabin. Its very hard for me to make a logic which runs for every product description and make it more readable and attractive. Can you please guide me what to do.

Please help.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread