Affiliate promotion of ugg australia products on affiliate sites is now prohibited
    Big news for Ugg affiliates:
    Affiliate Promotion and Marketing of Ugg Australia Products on affiliate sites is now Prohibited. Ugg Australia has implemented the following policy, effective immediately: The use of websites other than a retailer's own specifically authorized site – and use of affiliates of any kind - are specifically prohibited in the marketing and selling of Ugg Australia Products. This is a directive that has been sent to all authorized retailers of Ugg Products and not specific to Shoes.com. We appreciate your compliance with this policy.
    I wonder when all authorized retailers will send out a similar message. I haven't seen any yet. I think is gonna be the end for UGG if this is true. Without affiliates who promotes their products they will loose so much money.

We received the same from Shoes.com. I also wonder if Shoes.com and the other merchants plan to drop UGG from their data feeds so we don't have access to UGGs or just leave UGGs in and deny us commissions when a customer purchases UGGs?
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Hmm, I'm sure they will delete their Ugg products from the data feeds. Still wonder if this is just has an impact for shoes.com. I have a lot of other big Ugg merchants and none of them has talked about this Ugg issue.

Affiliate Manager
    Just wanted to drop you all a quick note to clear up a few things on this:
    1) This indeed was a directive we got from UGG Australia and our complying with, and we were told it does apply to all authorized retailers, so if you haven't heard from other merchants yet, my guess is that you likely will.
    2) Affiliates will still be rewarded commissions if the traffic they drive to the site converts and in fact buys UGG, you won't have to worry about that.
    3) We should have all UGG product removed from the datafeed within another day or two.
    Let me know if you have any other questions or need anything else.

Kevin Smith
    Affiliate Manager, shoes.com
    ksmith@brownshoe.com

Ok, so let's say your promoting sheepskin boots on your site, will that also be forbidden? Can you tell more specific how the rules will be for not promoting Ugg products?

Affiliate Manager
    I guess you can get as "creative" as you want, but the bottom line is UGG Australia as asked their "brand" not be promoted in the affiliate/third party space.
    As mentioned above, I honestly wonder what this will do to their overall business.
    I do know they are trying to get a better grip on how their product is promoted and displayed compared to knock-offs and imitations.

and now I receive an e-mail from another shoe merchant on GAN :

Comfortable, cozy, and versatile, you're customers are going to love the latest styles that have just arrived -- Like the colorful UGG Classic Cardy and the UGG Wallingford, just to name a few.

Wanting me to promote UGG. Doesn't make sense.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Ok. This morning in my e-mail from Becker Surfboard - Please note that the use the word "UGG" or any other wordage/likeness of UGG boots for affiliate marketing purposes or the use of websites other than a retailer’s own specifically authorized site – and use of affiliates of any kind - are specifically prohibited.

Affiliates who do not comply with this policy will be removed from the Affiliate program immediately.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

I got the same email, checked my Ugg link and it was deactivated. Two day later I see an Ugg link on the log-in page on comcast.net. Theirs works, what's up?
    ~Ernie

Got this today from another merchant:
    "Comfortable, cozy, and versatile, you're customers are going to love the latest styles that have just arrived -- Like the colorful UGG Classic Cardy and the UGG Wallingford, just to name a few. "
    This is really crazy.

I checked my feeds from PopShops this morning and I had 19 merchants offering UGGs including Becker Surfboards who told me to remove UGGs. What is going on with this!
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Affiliate Manager
    I can't speak for other, but my guess is that we were probably on the front end of those notify affiliates (probably because we had UGG on site last week and they notified us of this).
    If you haven't heard it yet it is probably because the merchant doesn't know yet or they are willing to take the chance. My guess is in another few weeks UGG will start to monitor who has their links out there and come down on them. Just a guess on my part.

Kevin Smith

They should be banned forever (Ugg) from google and yahoo and all affiliate networks. There are many people make living form ugg boots. They should be thankfull because affiliates helped them to archive such big success.
    So they decided to ban they.It is a shame.
    Ugg suck.Also i think their boots are ugly.Others like them.

Also i will continue to use any words i want on my site including UGG ...

Yeah I just did some searching on "ugg trademark" and found some rather interesting info. I didn't even realize that ugg was a generic term, at least originally it was, before Deckers Corp. decided to register it as their trademark in some 25 countries. They even got them to change the definition of ugg in the Australian dictionary. As the post above me stated as well, many people are losing their livelihoods due to this trademark battle. There are/were a bunch of aussie family-owned businesses that had been making ugg type boots since the mid-early 1900's and now they are told to remove all references to it in their company name, website, products, everything.

What next, is Nike or some other big corp. gonna come out and say we now own the word "sneaker" or "shoe" and any variations, everyone must remove this trademark from everything! LOL

Looks like the people won, at least in Australia... (lots of old info out there about it I guess.)

[After legal action, the Australian Trade Marks Registry removed Deckers' Australian trademark. This removal allowed the terms "Ugg, Ugh, and Ug" to be generic terms, rather than trade names, of these popular sheepskin boots. Deckers still maintains that trademark to market boots in Europe and the US as "UGG Australia".]

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes.com
    I guess you can get as "creative" as you want, but the bottom line is UGG Australia as asked their "brand" not be promoted in the affiliate/third party space.
    Can you explain this creative?

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager
    the creative may be for clearance. lol

No, it's not!

... Kevin?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Will The Real Ugg Australia Please Stand Up?
    I was very disturbed when I received emails from affiliate networks about the Ugg Australia statement. Alright I will remove all of the links and I guarantee you, Ugg Australia (not made in Australia by the way) will lose over $100,000 a year from me. I am going to promote Australian Uggs and make sure all of my readers know exactly why. I am sure they will want the Uggs made in Australia once I tell them where UGG Australia really has their Uggs made. It's amazing that they want the name so badly but they don't care about whether they are made in Australia. They just want people to assume they are made there.

So I will go to all of the trouble of editing over a hundred pages and believe me, I will remember when they figure out how much they are losing and want everyone back! They won't get over to my side of this river, they burnt the bridge!

Goodbye FAKE Uggs!

Onlineshoes.com still has lots of Ugg products in their goldencan feeds. I wonder how long til they remove them.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread