Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The not so great coffee mystery
    Every morning I wake up and make coffee....I fill my coffee to 12 cups insert my coffee and wait around 5 minutes. When I reach my coffee pot to fill my first cup of morning joy I look at the pot and it has in it 9 cups. So I open to see inside the water resevoir nothing. I look at the fresh grounds and they seem not to be holding my extra water captive.
    Later on that night my mother makes coffee. I watch as she pours in 12 cups of water, and adds the exact same amount of grounds. and then 5 minutes later 12 cups of fresh coffee appears in the coffee pot. Is this a coffee conspiracy???? Is water walking off the job? Does this happen to anyone else?
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Coffee beans use the same tracking software as CJ and Linkshare. Sometimes you get a full pot, sometimes you do not.

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Coffee beans use the same tracking software as CJ and Linkshare. Sometimes you get a full pot, sometimes you do not.
    Exactly!
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

When you turn your back, your mother sneaks in & pours herself a cup of coffee...

TrialPay diverts the water by offering it a month's free DVD rental if it agrees to water their plants instead of make you coffee.

Look behind the dryer...

X

Coffee taxes due? Wookalars? OneCause?

I'd install video surveillance

ABW Ambassador
    Do you shake when you are pouring the water?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Leak! It has to be a leak

Is it linked to another coffee maker? Are there PPC ads on the side?

Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I have wasted 3 pots of coffee this morning staring at them as they brew... same thing 12 cups of water=9 cups of coffee. not spilling a drip of water else where?
    I checked behind the dryer and all I found was 2 pennies and a lint ball. I am current with my coffee tax. Could be a leak? I did purchase the coffee pot on via a Linkshare advertiser......

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood
    Coffee taxes due? Wookalars? OneCause?

I'd install video surveillance
    Definitely Wookalars. Video surveillance is good, but you might want to contact Dr. Tart. He's an expert on Wookalars. Be sure to tell him to bring his time gun!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Jodyq go get yourself a one cup brewer you will sleep better at night. I struggled with the same thing for years and now I can finally sleep.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

the coffee pot is taking a commision up front & hiding it in the grinds

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Guesses:
    1) You're not waiting long enough for all 12 cups to process. The other 3 aren't actually done making their way completely through the machine. The laws of physics work as expected with my coffee maker, but it would not be done with 12 cups in any 5 minutes. That's about what it takes to do 4 or 5 (8-ounce) cups.

2) Different sized cups for measuring than for drinking? 12 small ones in = 9 bigger ones out.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Mr. coffee is hoarding the 3 cups to making you go to Starbucks where a tall is a small and a grande is actually medium.

Break the out of the conspiracy --- get an espresso machine and make cafe americano, VIVA la revolution!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I believe you said the reservoir was empty, so assume you have a regular drip type maker?? I run a BUNN that keeps the tank full of hot water all the time and brews a pot in three minutes. There are reasons for short pots in my type of brewer, but I can't think of any reason other than those Leader mentioned for a standard drip maker to brew a short pot.

Do you fill the reservoir from the carafe or some other way? Try filling from the carafe and compare the output. Also, test a pot without any coffee in the basket.

X

And don't trust anyone named Mr. Coffee!

X

I too am a victim of the "coffee mystery" - but believe I have it solved.

It's one of my cats!!! Unlike Nero who sleeps 25 hours a day, Mary only sleeps 23 hours. Obviously she has developed a caffeine addiction that keeps her wide awake, unable to sleep. I'm sure she sneaks a cup or two while I'm in the shower
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

Aha I too have a cat..... and my coffee maker that I am using is named MR. Coffee who is.....I think I should get a esspresso maker and/or a single cup operator, my only fear is that one day I will have to move my computer to the kitchen or vice versa to satisfy my love for a fresh brewed cup of coffee.

Hey...there's a market for us Internet Junkies.

Invent a computer that you power up first thing in the morning, all bleary eyed, and go off to do whatever else you do first thing in the morning.

By the time it's booted it's brewed a nice cup of coffee.

I was thinking Smart Pot. A USB peripheral that detects when you need a cup and automatically brews it. It will either work through bio feedback or monitoring cam or both. It monitors your drooping eyes, or when your head crashes into the keyboard. Also blood pressure and heart rate...

X

I've noticed a problem sometimes when I drink a beer. It seems to absorb through my hand. I can go through several beers without hardly taking a drink. Maybe try using rubber gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Be sure to tell him to bring his time gun!
    Ah Hahaha, the time gun! I forgot about that thing. I need to watch that movie again soon.

My neighbor said it was steam evaporating so i just brewed a pot and placed a plastic bag over the top of it to see if it were passing on and going to the other side. I have determined that it is not evaporating 3 cups of water...... and plastic bags melt under pressure weaklings.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood
    I've noticed a problem sometimes when I drink a beer. It seems to absorb through my hand. I can go through several beers without hardly taking a drink. Maybe try using rubber gloves?
    Yes! Isn't it strange, the rate that beer evaporates from the glass?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    ...I think I should get a esspresso maker and/or a single cup operator, my only fear is that one day I will have to move my computer to the kitchen or vice versa to satisfy my love for a fresh brewed cup of coffee.
    My wife got me a coffee maker for Christmas - for my desk. Now she has the one in the kitchen and I have fresh coffee at my desk.

Question: Are you filling the carafe up to the 12 cup mark and when you poor it into the reservoir, where does the water line up with the 12 cup mark on the reservoir?

When our (err, HER) kitchen coffee maker's reservoir is filled to the 12 cup mark, and it goes thru it's brew cycle - the end result in the carafe is ALWAYS lower; often by about 2 cups. However, If I fill the carafe to the 12 cup mark and poor it into the reservoir it shows MORE than 12 cups in the reservoir and nets out right at 12 cups of finished coffee in the carafe.

Personally, I think there is a conspiracy - now to find a coffee forum to do some more testing...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast