Everyone,

I need some advice. I have a site that pushes products for a company with its own affiliate program. I'm their #1 affiliate, so I've been told. I get paid by the quarter, but I still haven't received my third quarter payment.

The company president, who manages the affiliates, says that they are having bookkeeping problems after switching from a manual to automatic process. Every week, she has told me that full payment will be made the following week. It's been over 8 weeks of this.

I call or send e-mails but she keeps saying the same thing: "We're almost there." What do I do? I do want to stay with this company because they pay the most.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Accept no excuses.

A good and trustworthy merchant should automatically take part of the sale you made for them and put it in a seperate account that is to be used for paying the afiliates.

THAT MONEY SHOULD ALREADY BE THERE TO BE SENT TO YOU.

Drop them and replace them with another merchant.

Also, if they do something like this, the chances may be that they don't report all sales. It isn't a sure thing, but it usually goes hand in hand.

It's the same with merchants not returning e-mail.

Some affiliates may say that they do well with them, so they don't really care if they return e-mail. One thing they don't know is that many times, NOT ALL the time, when a merchant doesn't return e-mail, they usually don't report all sales either. It goes hand in hand.

You're terribly sorry, but you are forced to remove all links to their site immediately, until payment is actually in your hand.

(I hope you have a replacement merchant)

I think if you remove the links they will somehow find a way to pay you. And if they don't, you shouldn't be linking to them anyhow.

That's why you usually try to stay away from merchants who run their own affiliate program and are not with one of the major networks.

The problem is not whether they are in-house or stick with a networks.

You need to find merchant that understand affiliate marketing and main part of their business rely on affiliate marketing.

I have also get cheated by a merchant for $1500+ which I make in 4 months. I just kick him away and look for somebody else.

Absolutely, if there's an alternate merchant then change the links to them. When they see their top affiliate walking away, it will probably get a response.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    >The problem is not whether they are in-house or with a network.
    Correct

The problem is that they don't understand the position they are in.
    Being #1, you hold all the cards.

Give them 48 hours to FedEx or wire transfer the average amount they pay you per quarter + 2/3 for this quarter or you will pull all their links. They can adjust the quarterly payment when they get their $h!t together.

In that they are going to an automated system you can also demand monthly payments in the future.

imho

[typo]

[This message was edited by Adam Ward on December 17, 2003 at 05:24 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Tell them you'll expose them on the biggest affiliate marketing forum, or tell them "pay me now" or you'll proceed with legal action for monies owed.

I work in lounge pants

I think you've given them plenty of time to pay you. Send them a message and CC your lawyer, and in it state again the problem, the delays, what they've told you, and the time frame. Advise them that they have 24 hours to FedEx the Q3 payment to you, or you'll let your attorney deal with them from that point on, as well as pull their links and promote their competition.

I would also send this message to them in hard copy, return receipt, so they know you mean business. Obviously, they don't care if you are paid in a timely manner or not, Q4 is almost over, and they still haven't paid you for Q3...wonder when they plan to pay you for Q4? August 2004?

You might also call their attention to this thread, and let them know they will be exposed if you aren't paid. Merchants that pull this shouldn't be allowed free rein to do this to other affiliates.

Andy

Thanks everyone for the comments. This is a very tough decision for me. The company is very small 4-person biz. Even though I'm their no. 1 affiliate, they still get most of their business through Goggle AdWords advertising. So I'm not sure if threatening to drop them will have as much weight. I agree with all of you this is unacceptable. I don't have a lawyer so that option is out. I guess what would really help me is some language for an e-mail I can send them. This language would be a bit stronger than the usual "Hey, where's my payment?". Can anyone offer up some words or phrases I could use that might get some action or reaction from them?

ABW Ambassador
    "Hello and therefore . Hope to hear from you soon

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter."

You could refer to their TOS, or whatever agreement they have with you regarding their program. In your message to them, refer to the specific terms they are violating. Tell them, that by way of this message, you are demanding your past due payment from them. Put them on notice that they are in violation of their agreement with you. Tell them you've done your part, now they must do theirs.

Are they members of the Better Business Bureau? If so, file a complaint with them as well.

I believe I'd start looking for a replacement, too. They won't enjoy seeing their competition take their place. Sometimes, this is the strongest message you can send to a merchant.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    BBB is a joke (example: eBates)

Zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!

ABW Ambassador
    Being their #1 affiliate may not be enough motive for them to appease you; they have already demonstrated this.

Yes, BBB is a joke, but Attorney General is not.

Best bet is to go to your friendly neighborhood lawyer and pay him to "write a letter". If you don't want to swing the $$$ for this (which would not be much) you can file a complaint on your own with the Attorney General's office in the state that the weasel company is in.

Then just check your mail in a few days. Unless the weasel is dead broke and on the run, you can pretty well count on seeing a check SOON.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

Don't wait to start pulling links either. Keep the old pages in case you need to "roll back", but you need to let 'em know that you have started to pull links already to rack the pressure up. That will usually get a response.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

First, send them an actual official looking bill.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    Got a bat~??

Brian
    aka Cyclone

I'm addicted to placebos.
    I'd quit but would it matter?

ABW Ambassador
    We are currently having a similar issue with a merchant as well. We are in the process of having our lawyer draft a letter. Hopefully this will get their attention as they have never returned an email or phone call.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread