Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    After research and working with a couple of super affiliates I drafted this article. I know there are many super affiliates that call ABW home, so what better place to ask for a critique. If you would take a few moments and look over this and let me know if I've missed anything I would be forever grateful.
    http://marketing.about.com/cs/intern...affsecrets.htm

Laura Schneider
    Marketing Editor for About
    http://marketing.about.com
    All ABOUT Marketing

I really don't think the first paragraph works as a lead in - it's merchant not affiliate centric.

I'd highly suggest a full explanation of the "traits" as opposed to only listing them as they are more important than some of the overviewed "secrets".

"Secret" #6 really is more of a definition of "trait" 2.

The main problem with writing an article like this is that it can easily be made into a multi-page dissertation, getting enough info into it in a single page effort you sacrifice many important issues.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    It needs some more meat to it. Some examples or some knowledge one can sink his/her teeth into and use to achieve the super-affiliate status.

Those are basically the same stratagies that a mid-tier affiliate has. Does a super-affiliate just go to greater lengths to develop the 6 stratageies or did they keep the real secrets to themselves?

ABW Ambassador
    Not having reached "Super-Affiliate" status yet, I'll let the others talk about those details. However, you need to run it through a grammar checker as well.

Couple of examples:

Only use pay-per-click engines if you know what your (you're) doing,

or their products do not convert well the affects (effects) on your business will be minimal

ABW Ambassador
    >Does a super-affiliate just go to greater lengths to develop the 6 strategies or did they keep the real secrets to themselves?

A little of both - imho

2) Search Engine Marketing
    Here is where many super affiliates shine.
    They are not looking at some gross income number to define themselves.
    It's the net income they track and SEO costs less in the long run.

Many SEO persons, semi-retired SEO persons and fully-retired SEOers are super affiliates.
    They take the knowledge learned from working for clients and develop a diversified portfolio of income producing sites for themselves.

So they will tell you SE optimization [optimisation in the UK] to get organic ranking is their secret to success.
    But they will keep their SEO methodology to themselves.

Many tend to seek out "easy to rank" programs when choosing a merchant.

What jimbo2002 said-
    However I think we all know it is impossible to get into details with a single page.

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

Thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate it. Remember this article contains the basics and is just a lead-in not a how-to book

Laura Schneider
    All ABOUT Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarketPro:
    Thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate it. Remember this article contains the basics and is just a lead-in not a how-to book

Laura Schneider
    All ABOUT Marketing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Laura,

I like marketing.about.com. Overall it has many good resources and information.

About your article;
    "Affiliate marketing is a low-cost way for merchants to build awareness and showcase their products and services."

This is not an accurate description of affiliate marketing. It's more of direct marketing approach - selling the product, right now - than brand awareness, especially for affiliates. I think that's why Haiko thought it was a merchant-centric description.

The listed items sounds to me more like cliches than secrets. But, yes most of the article is new info for people outside of the industry.

A link to ABW would be nice, if you're not restricted by About.com, for people who want to learn more.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Someone needs to look up the dictionary definition of "secret".

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

Sam, thank you for the feedback. Yes I plan to list ABW as well as other resources. As for low-cost marketing compared to traditional marketing paying on a commission or performance basis costs much less than running a traditional marketing campaign.

Drew as far as secrets, the reason it is named that is for SEO purposes. Affiliate Secrets is searched for more than tactics or strategies

Laura Schneider
    All ABOUT Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As for low-cost marketing compared to traditional marketing paying on a commission or performance basis costs much less than running a traditional marketing campaign. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the point SamBay and Haiko were getting at is that affiliate marketing is about performance (driving sales). But your article says that it is about brand awareness and showcasing.

We don't get paid for brand awareness.

Your definition was merchant-centric (they love free brand awareness). But the 'secrets' and the article are aimed at affiliates.

You are right that tends to cause some confusion, I'm going to try revise it. Thanks guys

Laura Schneider
    All ABOUT Marketing

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Laura the "super affiliates" leverage 2 routes to affiliate riches. They either employ every spammy gorilla mass marketing scheme devised and endorsed by the DMA/IAM membership ...or they target the secret list of merchants proven to convert targeted traffic.

The big mystery you advertising industry spin artists need to uncover is... how can Untargeted general advertising traffic convert better then the results reported by the major affiliate merchant networks. Affiliates like me place pre-sell qualifying advertisments with very targeted landing pages to sites who average 1 sale per every 70 visitors. By the time our traffic gets filtered and reported we only get paid on 1 sale per 500 targeted visitors sent to the same merchant.

Truthful articles on how merchants set about cheating affiliates will uncover the tactics of the super affiliates. They overcome these well laid out diversion tactics by mass reach, rather then well laid out niche' bookmarketable shopping sites, or hijacking traffic at the SE's source and the point of sale to set their cookies.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Being the pp stirer I am, I can't help but say you're missing a couple of key points..

1) Merchant selection is as important as choosing a niche product. PP merchants do not convert at the levels of dedicated merchants with anti parasite policies (at least thats my experience on a very broad level). 1-800 numbers plastered across every page, low cookie durations, limits on the number of transactions, parasitic partners, the customers emailing policy (and if they overwrite affiliate cookies), and even if they allow ppc ads all play a huge part in the affiliates ability to succeed with a merchant. It's definately not just branding and showcasing a niche product - paying attention to the terms, practices and policies of a merchant play a critical role in an affiliates ability to really succeed. Wasting time with dog merchants leads to dog results.

2) Most super affiliates very likely have additional technical skills regarding databases, web server operating systems and scripting languages that allows them to more efficiently provide an attractive interface and offerings that customers return to again and again. Customer retention is as important for affiliates as it is for a merchant "or it should be". Having these skills enables quick development and effective presentation of web offerings much more easily. PPC allows sites that aren't in the top results to fairly easily attract visitors. Knowing when there enough interested parties in a niche product and you having the ability to sell them and retain them is what really counts.

3) I totally concur with what Jimbo said above. You title, intro and the underlying content provides mixed signals at who the article is even aimed at IMO.

Their are only a small number of super affiliates because a job decription would look something like:

Looking for someone with good marketing skills, good time managment skills, good programming, scripting, and database skills with various operating systems and languages. Knowledge of grafics software and ability to create quality grahics is a plus.

Knowledge of effective search engines to market in as well as their submission procedures, various ways to compete seo wise and the ability to blend an attractive interface and pages that compete is prefered. Additonal understanding of ppc advertising and being able to develop practices and procedures for when and what terms where ppc support is needed is a plus.

Must have and utilize resources that enable you to detect and spot changes occuring that effect online sales and be able to make quick decisions as to proper reactions to remain competitive. Spotting trends quickly and being able to seize advantages or avoid disasters is a must.

All applicants please apply at: abc.com

There is a reason why so many affiliates fail and most are completely inneffective! I truely believe thats why "branding" is what most merchants think of when you mention an affiliate program. Mentioning branding "positively" in an article regarding how to become a super affiliate is way off mark.

===================================
    Great News - we can now support ebates and pp merchants - they are cleaning up their act and I'll bet it'll be a long time before we see another clip of ebates overwriting affiliate links.
    ===================================

Most of what you're writing about seems to apply more towards getting started in affiliate marketing rather than becoming a super affiliate.

Also, there are far more than "thousands" of affiliates and I suspect than it's actually less than 1% that meet your definition of super affiliates.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarketPro:
    Drew as far as secrets, the reason it is named that is for SEO purposes. Affiliate Secrets is searched for more than tactics or strategies
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohh. Then for SEO puposes, you may also consider changing the page name from superaffsecrets.htm to affiliate_secrets.htm

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    When you uncover the Super affiliates they really are naked and appear like the rest of us. They are just masters of disguise or cross dressers. Success for affiliate riches parallels the career of Chris Owens in New Orleans http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search ....you must be able to fool the majority of shoppers into thinking your a real merchant.

Not bad for a 71 year old man

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I know many super affiliates who don't do any search engine marketing such as pay per click. I am assuming you consider a super affiliiate as someone who earns a living off of being an affiliate (?) Everyone has different ideas.

To be a real "super" affiliate, you should have traffic that comes to you while you are sleeping, without paying for it... If you develop a good site and people want to come back, they will remember you and return.

I value everyone's input, including those who sent me emails rather than reply here. I revised some of the article, but the majority I left the same simply because I also work as an affiliate manager, so much of the information came from the super affiliates that are involved in the program that I manage. I've seen the components that it takes for people to make over 5 figures monthly in that program and that is what I based the article on. Thanks guys.

Laura Schneider
    All ABOUT Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you aren't going to change the name, how 'bout including some actual secrets?

Zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!

I'd be happy to, give me one of your secrets and I'll put it in there

Laura Schneider
    All ABOUT Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I'd be happy to, give me one of your secrets and I'll put it in there
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

why? you claim to have at least six, but I haven't seen a single one...

Zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!

They are not secrets to you because you are involved in affiliate marketing. These are strategies that many super affiliates use, I've seen it first hand and I know they are super affiliates because I write their checks.

Many of you need to keep in mind that this article is not based on a prime secret to assist super affiliates in become bigger affiliates. This is an article designed for those trying their hand in affiliate marketing. Where do they start, what tactics or strategies do successful affiliates use? That is the question this article answers.

Now as for the six secrets listed - you may not consider them secrets but if I told you that you could get the attention of a mailing list by handwriting the envelope or by adding a 1.00 bill in the sales letter, would that be a secret to you? If you were not familiar with marketing and hadn't done those things, yes it probably would be.

Laura Schneider
    All ABOUT Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celicaphile:
    why? you claim to have at least six, but I haven't seen a single one...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree

This article like every other on this subject is all bun and no meat. It's fine as far as article go but it is no where near being valuable insight.

I'm open to publishing a rebuttal of my article if anyone cares to write one

Laura Schneider
    All ABOUT Marketing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast