Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Newbie stuart.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    16
    Post Business Model - Opinions Appreciated Pls
    So here is the overview, which I would be greatly appreciative getting some feedback.

    I am seeking to figure how this business model bodes to people here on the forum, as I can see there are a lot of keen internet marketers here, with a lot more experience than I.

    I'll try not to waffle on too much.

    The site I am completing is a review site. The review will be of affiliate products from CJ and other affiliate networks. Aiming for high quality products only, dont want to sell junk just to make money. Dont want to rip people off either, want be build a reliable reputation and provide useful content to my visitors.

    The products will be predominately digital. The site has a wordpress backend, with a fully customized theme (outsourced and had that written for me), kind of based off cnet.com in terms of style.

    The reviews will give both factual information about the product, and a little added personal opinion too to keep it fresh and interesting.

    Emphasis will be focused on screencast content to accompany the text review of the product(s). This is will show what the product actually does, how it looks and responds, I use screen capture software to show this so its like a proper screencast with audio and video edit effects to enhance it. The initial screencasts will only be a few seconds, and will hopefully encourage the visitor to sign up (free) for more video reviews. The visitor can get a very clear and honest impression of the product, particularly through the screencast. If they like it, they can buy it or try a demo in some cases (depending on the product).

    The site will of course have banners for the visitor to click onto. These will be obtained from the various affiliate networks or from the publishers of the products themselves.

    Because getting a backend is of the utmost of importance, as I understand it, I will be offering people a free subscription to a members only screencast review portion of the site. The initial screencast which all visitors can see (without the need for signing up) will be to encourage visitors to sign up for more in depth product reviews / screencasts. It will offer a sneak preview of the product, and should wet the appetite for wanting to see the full video screencast review.

    Once they sign up, they get to see 3 - 5 screencasts of the various aspects of the product, so they can see for themselves exactly how it works. These will be all in high quality (flash for cross platform compatibility) and should, I'm hoping, be a good selling point.

    I then get to build a list of subscriptions, and as the old saying goes, the money is in the list.

    My understanding of late, pertaining to affiliate success comes mainly from Ewen Chia, and his main advise is simple :

    Market -> Offer -> Traffic -> Back End -> Duplication

    So I'm posting this because I really wanted to get some feedback on that idea. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is this a plausible business model? Make sense or a waste of time in your opinion?

    Please be brutally honest, niceties will not help me improve and learn

    Thanks a lot


    Stuart

    p.s. Hope I donít get in trouble for such a long post

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador 2busy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Tropical Mountaintop
    Posts
    5,636
    There is no way to answer your question with a meaningful answer. No one can guess how you will fare with a given business model. The outline is one way that you can succeed but it does not mean that you will succeed. What works for one does not work for another.
    There is a site review forum here if your site is up and you want specific suggestions, but forecasting success is pretty much impossible.
    There is probably a limit on the size of posts, but no penalties - they just get truncated

  3. #3
    Full Member OICUAM2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    421
    I think it sounds good in terms of what you will be doing with the traffic once it gets to your site. Of course, you will need to do a lot of testing to refine this process to get it working smoothly. Each site is different and the traffic flow takes some time to get it where you want it. Make sure you test different headlines, calls to action, designs, etc...

    My question is how do you plan to get traffic to the site? This seems to be one of the biggest problems right now for many new marketers with new sites. Even if you have an initial pay per click budget set aside for testing purposes, AdWords might not allow you to advertise if the site is new and has no established online rep, links, etc...

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador superCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,268
    superCool is no expert, but these are his thoughts on this...

    how many products will you be selling and how much time and effort will be involved in producing and maintaining the screencasts? seems like a lot of work unless you are going to limit your scope to just a few items. will the items have frequent updates that will require new screencasts?

    also, superCool would probably not sign up and provide an email address just to see some additional screencasts. some people might, but many won't, unless the screencasts are very very good and provide info you can't get elsewhere - or if the items are complicated and expensive.

    good luck with your endeavor. the traffic question is also key. you can do it, but it will probably take time.

    superCool

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    All looks viable to me..

    In my opinion, "unique" has a much better chance of success than simply following an existing formula. I'll use coupon sites as an example - a lot of new posters ask about launching a coupon site (popular in today's economy), the question is why would someone want to enter a crowded market? Unless they can offer something new..

    Of course no one can predict success - my first site (content) helped me generate the traffic/exposure needed to launch expansion sites. Those are the ones that make money, but the original foundation is still there.

    You've obviously thought this through, and have intentions of creating your own business model. MUCH better chance of success doing that

  6. #6
    Full Member OICUAM2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    421
    Just a thought on original business models. I was looking through the top 100 sites in Alexa last night. One thing I noticed is that all of the top adult video sites in the top 100 use the same technology. They all were basically the same except each had its own domain name and branding.

    I think this is how a lot of shopping sites will be in the future. Some shopping sites will be niche and have their own copy/opinions/reviews/approaches. However, I see a future where a bunch of coupon and mall type sites will all be based on the same basic feeds and technology with individual branding. I think GoldenCan is the start of this with lots of room for improvement.

  7. #7
    Newbie stuart.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    I think it sounds good in terms of what you will be doing with the traffic once it gets to your site. Of course, you will need to do a lot of testing to refine this process to get it working smoothly. Each site is different and the traffic flow takes some time to get it where you want it. Make sure you test different headlines, calls to action, designs, etc...

    My question is how do you plan to get traffic to the site? This seems to be one of the biggest problems right now for many new marketers with new sites. Even if you have an initial pay per click budget set aside for testing purposes, AdWords might not allow you to advertise if the site is new and has no established online rep, links, etc...
    Hi OICUAM2, thanks for taking the time to reply

    Traffic, well, my situation is that my site is built. I need to finished the reviews first. Then I will begin to market it. I was going to use the following methods, let me know yr thoughts:

    Article Marketing
    PPC
    Social
    SEO


    Artical marketing
    Intend to write a whole load of articles and have them submitted to the various directories, either do this myself or out source. Will optimise the text in the articles using nichebot, for the keyword research part.

    PPC
    Dont want to spend too much initially, so PPC will be fairly light, will likely try some of the less popular search engines like Miva, dogpile etc

    Social
    Sites like facebook, and other social sites (myspace)

    Other
    Adverts here and there, pick sites with a google rank and advertise on them, one way links only

    SEO
    Will try to optimize the site, it is wordpress back end, and I will be hopefully adding lots of new content, so should keep the web spiders happy. Use keyword research tools to find keywords without too much competition (hopefully!!)

    Does that sound fairly sane to you? (or anyone else, feedback is really appreciated)

  8. #8
    Newbie stuart.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    There is no way to answer your question with a meaningful answer. No one can guess how you will fare with a given business model. The outline is one way that you can succeed but it does not mean that you will succeed. What works for one does not work for another.
    There is a site review forum here if your site is up and you want specific suggestions, but forecasting success is pretty much impossible.
    There is probably a limit on the size of posts, but no penalties - they just get truncated

    Yes I see what you are saying, really just wanted to outline the basic model, and see if anyone thought of any glaring problems. I do agree with you though, so many variable factors its impossible to say either-way in terms of gauging success.

    The main concern I wanted to air was, perception of using screencasting to review digital software products would be good? Visitors will would be encouraged to sign up to get the FULL screencast showing the product in detail. Its free, and its instant to get access. I need a way to build a list. Any thoughts on that, does that sound like a good way to get a list or will vistors just think its a waste of their time.

    Once again, I know its impossible to give a precise answer, simply becuase you havent see it in action, but just baring the mind the general concept?

    Your thoughts appreciated

    Cheers



  9. #9
    Newbie stuart.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by superCool
    superCool is no expert, but these are his thoughts on this...

    how many products will you be selling and how much time and effort will be involved in producing and maintaining the screencasts? seems like a lot of work unless you are going to limit your scope to just a few items. will the items have frequent updates that will require new screencasts?

    also, superCool would probably not sign up and provide an email address just to see some additional screencasts. some people might, but many won't, unless the screencasts are very very good and provide info you can't get elsewhere - or if the items are complicated and expensive.

    good luck with your endeavor. the traffic question is also key. you can do it, but it will probably take time.

    superCool

    Hi Supercool,

    Valuable critique, thanks. Some good points to think about.

    How many products? Well will basially add more and more as time goes on. Eventually will be many, like any review site. So perfect a review, get traffic, get conversions, move onto the next review. Keep doing that until they are huge amounts of quality reviews. Thats the plan at least.

    Time consuming? Yes, dam right, really hard work and time consuming. More I do, the faster I get at them though (screencasts). Once they are up, should be job done, and move onto the next product really.

    Sign up? Yeah thats my concern. Making the screencasts very professional and informative. Like how to do disk imaging with a certain product for e.g. However, some products just arent complicated enough to warrant a full screencast, and I hadnt thought of that, hmm /scratches head. Have to give that some more thought.

    I need a way to get ppl to sign up, thats really key. I was going to offer more info on the product via a well put together set of screencasts, but as you say, most people maybe wouldnt take the bate. Just more junk mail. Damit! Well any offered opinions / thoughts are gold dust so thanks very much


  10. #10
    Newbie stuart.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    All looks viable to me..

    In my opinion, "unique" has a much better chance of success than simply following an existing formula. I'll use coupon sites as an example - a lot of new posters ask about launching a coupon site (popular in today's economy), the question is why would someone want to enter a crowded market? Unless they can offer something new..

    Of course no one can predict success - my first site (content) helped me generate the traffic/exposure needed to launch expansion sites. Those are the ones that make money, but the original foundation is still there.

    You've obviously thought this through, and have intentions of creating your own business model. MUCH better chance of success doing that


    Thanks very much Teeside, your opinion is highly valued.

    I agree, trying to offer unique or niche, is the way to go. Not sure if my business model is unique enough. The reason I wanted to air the idea with you guys is I want to minimize the risk of investing time and money in a model which really could be racked with flaws.

    Course its always a gamble, and you learn from mistakes, so I will battle on and see where I end up.

    What's your opinion of having a business partner or team? I have a friend who is also an affiliate, and how made quite a lot at one point, then lost the trail. Some ideas have been banded about in regards to teaming up

    Seems to me, doing everything alone is ok for the very beginning, but as you develop, having a team or at least a dedicated business partner is crucial, would you agree?

  11. #11
    Newbie stuart.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    Just a thought on original business models. I was looking through the top 100 sites in Alexa last night. One thing I noticed is that all of the top adult video sites in the top 100 use the same technology. They all were basically the same except each had its own domain name and branding.

    I think this is how a lot of shopping sites will be in the future. Some shopping sites will be niche and have their own copy/opinions/reviews/approaches. However, I see a future where a bunch of coupon and mall type sites will all be based on the same basic feeds and technology with individual branding. I think GoldenCan is the start of this with lots of room for improvement.
    Yes I have seen a lot of that too. I hadnt heard of GoldenCan, will check it out. Thanks

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador superCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,268
    one other thing for what it's worth (maybe nothing) - you might want to consider going live with the site and starting your marketing efforts now. even if you don't have all of the reviews done you will get it out there and see how it goes. you might learn some things that will make your next batch of reviews more effective.

    as long as your site is complete and you have some content, you shouldn't have to worry about making a bad impression on visitors. building your audience will take time anyway, so you might as well get started and learn as you go.

    Good Luck!

  13. #13
    Newbie stuart.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by superCool
    one other thing for what it's worth (maybe nothing) - you might want to consider going live with the site and starting your marketing efforts now. even if you don't have all of the reviews done you will get it out there and see how it goes. you might learn some things that will make your next batch of reviews more effective.

    as long as your site is complete and you have some content, you shouldn't have to worry about making a bad impression on visitors. building your audience will take time anyway, so you might as well get started and learn as you go.

    Good Luck!

    Yeah, that ones a dilemma, have been thinking about the pro's and con's of that for sometime. I think I will go middle way, get some content up first and then start marketing, rather than wait for perfecting the site b4 marketing it.

    Good point to raise, cheers

  14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Business Model for a Niche site?
    By andymisiu in forum Domains & Hosting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 28th, 2012, 02:37 AM
  2. PPC Business Model
    By awaken in forum Newbie Affiliate FAQs & Helpful Articles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •