Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The affiliate marketing for UGG has come to an end??
    Got this msg from Beckersurf today:
    Please note that the use the word "UGG" or any other wordage/likeness of UGG boots for affiliate marketing purposes or the use of websites other than a retailer’s own specifically authorized site – and use of affiliates of any kind - are specifically prohibited.
    Got this msg from shoes.com last friday:
    Ugg Australia has implemented the following policy, effective immediately: The use of websites other than a retailer's own specifically authorized site - and use of affiliates of any kind - are specifically prohibited in the marketing and selling of Ugg Australia Products. This is a directive that has been sent to all authorized retailers of Ugg Products and not specific to Shoes.com. We appreciate your compliance with this policy.
    So what is this all about then? Some of my big Ugg merchants hasn't say nothing yet. Got this from another Ugg merchant today:
    Comfortable, cozy, and versatile, you're customers are going to love the latest styles that have just arrived -- Like the colorful UGG Classic Cardy and the UGG Wallingford, just to name a few.
    So what is this really all about? Any suggestions??

ABW Ambassador
    the shoes.com aff. manager stated that this comes directly from Ugg.

Just remove all references to Ugg from any sites you have

Well, why should I do that. Just because of 2 merchants? I mean that zappos etc. hasn't told me nothing about this issue. I have to wait until they really do that.

15 years and counting
    From Wikipedia Ugg boots
    "The terms ugg boots, ugh boots and ug boots have been used as generic terms for sheepskin boots in Australia since the 1920s and 1930s."
    "In 1971, Shane Stedman registered the term Ugh-boot and other terms as trademark with the Australian Trade Mark Registry. These trademarks were subsequently sold to the American company Deckers Outdoor Corporation, which also registered other trademarks, such as UGG Australia in 1999. By 2003, Deckers had begun a campaign of legal threats against Australian manufacturers and vendors using variants of "ugh boots" to describe their wares."

ABW Ambassador
    It is up to you if you want to be caught up in between a legal battle.

Legal battle?? Your joking!! I don't have any legal agreements with Deckers. It's my merchants rules I have to follow, not Uggaustralia.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by it2shoes
    Legal battle?? Your joking!! I don't have any legal agreements with Deckers. It's my merchants rules I have to follow, not Uggaustralia.

If Deckers want to stop people from using the Ugg name, and you have Uggs on your sites, it doesn't matter which merchant rules you are following. It is their brand name, not the merchants

Julian is correct, and if you value your merchant relationship, you'll work with them on this one. If they're selling a lot of those boots, the name is worth more to them than you are in many cases.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I am so confused. Does this mean, now no vendor other than Deckers can have Ugg products on their site. Deckers isn't the only vendor that sells UGG.

Also GoldenCan, PopShops and others will have to filter out Ugg products for those vendors who have Ugg in their Datafeed, liek The WalkingCompany etc.

I haven't received that notice from Shoes.com or any of my other shoe advertisers yet, but am not surprised at the move since Deckers dropped Uggs from their program last year.

ABW Ambassador
    TheWalkingCompany has most of their text and banner links featuring the word UGG. They will have to replace most of their links.

These are text links in CJ from the 1st page only.

UGG accessories at TheWalkingCompany.com
    New arrivals of kids's UGG's at
    New UGG arrivals at THEWALKINGCOMPANY...
    New arrivals of women's UGG's at TheW
    New arrivals of UGG Classic Cardy at ...
    Men's Ugg slippers at THEWALKINGCOMPA...

That, and the Walking Co. is the slooooooooowest at responding to anything so I would be surprised to see those taken down anytime soon.

ABW Ambassador
    I have had a different exp though. I get an almost immediate response from their aff manager.

That's good. You must be a TWC superstar. I'm not sure what I did or didn't do, but I've been on brandy's sh*tlist for almost a year. I think my notes go straight to her folder or something.

But not to derail the thread, it will be very interesting to watch the compliance roll out on this new Ugg ban, and the consequences, if any.

ABW Ambassador
    No, I am not a TWC superstar. I am sure they must be scrambling now to react to this, since they had their affiliates promote UGG mainly. I won't be surprised if they close their pgm on CJ. When your flagship product can't be promoted by your affiliates, what's the point of an affiliate program.

I am going to filter out all UGGs from the merchants datafeeds. Argh.. I hate extra work.

It2Shoes you started a similiar tread on this yesterday at:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=115472

It already has a response from Shoes.com
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    From Wikipedia Ugg boots
    "The terms ugg boots, ugh boots and ug boots have been used as generic terms for sheepskin boots in Australia since the 1920s and 1930s."
    "In 1971, Shane Stedman registered the term Ugh-boot and other terms as trademark with the Australian Trade Mark Registry. These trademarks were subsequently sold to the American company Deckers Outdoor Corporation, which also registered other trademarks, such as UGG Australia in 1999. By 2003, Deckers had begun a campaign of legal threats against Australian manufacturers and vendors using variants of "ugh boots" to describe their wares."
    That just means if you sell boots that aren't actually Uggs brands you can't call them Uggs or use Uggs to describe them. If you sell Uggs, you can use Uggs. You can sell a competing boot and even say they're better than Uggs.

Based on responses above it looks like they don't want authorized retailers using Uggs. I guess if they didn't listen to the request, Uggs wouldn't work with them anymore and they wouldn't be selling Uggs on their site. So there's not much you can do about that if the merchant you're affiliated with tells you not to use it, since they could just drop you.

15 years and counting
    I don't know what am going to go. I hate spending my time with lawyers to answer these Cease and Desist letters. I did pretty good with "Uggs Australia". I guess I can sell sheepskin boots directly from Australian Manufacturers or like you said competing boots.
    I don't understand what "Uggs Australia" is trying to do. The day their brand will be fully protected that will be their last pair.

I'm considering replacing them with EMU Australia and I will not even have to remove ugg word from my sites, because its a generic term.

Ok, authorized merchants can still sell Uggs so affiliates will still be rewarded commissions if the traffic they drive to the site converts and in fact buys UGG. That is what Kevins says from shoes.com. So what about promoting Australian Sheepskin Boots or Australian Boots then, will that be forbidden also?

Quote Originally Posted by Nabz
    I'm considering replacing them with EMU Australia and I will not even have to remove ugg word from my sites, because its a generic term.
    I know that you can't use the word Ugg on your site cause it's a trademark therm owned by Deckers. It's only in Australia that Ugg is a generic term.

ABW Ambassador
    There should be some interesting cease and desist battles going on with Deckers over this.

I wonder how many affiliates will just ignore this and promote the heck out of Uggs, maybe even directing all visitors to a competitor

I think if an advertiser asks you to note something or please change your promotions, you should comply. Even if you haven't heard from other advertisers to do the same; we are in this together and some affiliate managers notify affiliates faster than others. Wouldn't you rather be in compliance of a merchant's terms and conditions?

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    >It's only in Australia that Ugg is a generic term.
    And New Zealand.

The trademark was reversed in Australia for that very point, so Aussie Affiliates have nothing to worry about. It does raise an interesting side topic though, Aussie affiliate, site hosted in Australia, Selling to American customers, where does the trademark boundary lie?

Woz
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Ok so Ugg is a no no but would it not be better to promote them as they really are
    Uggly boots made in australia....uggs are hideous.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast