Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fatwallet launches ToolBar
    http://www.fatwallet.com/toolbar/

I know they tried at one time but they pulled it back due to issues..
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Looks like a very valuable tool for FatWallet members..
    Stop blaming the parasites, low return days, cookie stuffers, networks, lousy AMs, and TOOLBARS!

Hmmm. I never had a problem with these guys. They're big with SAS though, aren't they? Wonder how that will pan out.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Interesting development
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

I tested the first iteration (years ago) and found it clean, haven't tested this version. However, realistically I have no indication that Tim would do anything wrong as he has always always taken the high road in all his business and personal efforts.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

So does that mean a toolbar to insure the shopper sets the cookie at the right time is ok sometimes but not all the time?

ABW Ambassador
    I know the one years ago was tested and was called an advanced bookmark or something like that. Didn't quite understand myself.

So if anybody tests this new one, can they specifically post how it differs from the others in easy to understand language.

ABW Ambassador
    Just download it to my Firefox. Will look at it more later but I see this:

I went to my site, clicked some of my affiliate links going to merchant sites and I can see the little Fatwallet logo turning red in my address bar and when I hover my mouse over it, it says:

Shopping with FatWallet.com can save you money with this store!

So I guess this brings up a lot of issues. I know some "clean networks" forbid toolbars before but just read the current post in the SAS forum that this will be looked at and lots of things discussed.

Pop up notification vs. something turning colors in the address bar.

Standing down from affiliate traffic. There are some called parasitic that don't stand down from affiliate links, some that do. Should toolbars like this do? From my affiliate links it doesn't.

Lots to talk about.

This, and the Brian thread, is going to get cloudy. But so many of our discussions are in this line of work.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Well all the ones who are called parasitic can just glow or turn colors in the address bar, not stand down from affiliate traffic and all is good now. Yeah, lots to talk about. We should all get our own toolbars.

What are the differences between all these toolbars? Not really seeing that much. Nowadays most of the ones we don't like and call parasitic are knowingly downloaded by users. They visit the merchant site and there is some kind of notification. Kind of the same in that sense.

I know some might automatically set a cookie, while others you have to click something or some have automatic redirection.

If the toolbar motivates the shopper to buy from specific stores, that adds value for the merchant. If the toolbar pops/glows/yells when the shopper happens to visit a particular merchant, then they're stealing from the merchant... and any affiliate who may have driven the traffic.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    If the toolbar pops/glows/yells when the shopper happens to visit a particular merchant, then they're stealing from the merchant...
    Absolutely.

Is there a way for merchants to opt-out of Fat Wallet's toolbar?

http and a telephoto
    If it doesn't stand down from affiliate links it breaks one of my merchants TOS.

I'll be downloading it and testing it to see, but from what Trust said, it sounds like it is doing what we don't allow.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I would download it to test it. (you just added that as I was typing ) I clicked an affiliate Viator link. What happens is they have that little logo in the address bar and it turns clear to red when going to the Viator site from affiliate links or direct.

What it does is tries to steal your comish by making them the last visit.

Say someone goes to your site, and click a link to a merchant.

When they get there their icon in the address bar lights up, hover it and it says shopping with fat wallet saves you money.

Click it, it takes you to fatwallet.com and shows you offers for that merchant.

Click a link your cookie is overwritten, they hit the back button it isn't.

I say it shouldn't be allowed.

If it is allowed, then why not allow OneCause to do what they do?

Plus doesn't it violate TOS for merchants. Once the customer is on the Merchants site, to give them an alert to say hey we have deals here visit us to get them, that's basically stealing the merchants traffic.

HG,

What Onecause is totally different from this. They auto redirected and overwrote traffic without any click or even being logged in.

Doesn't mean this [FW Toolbar] isn't right nor the fact that it needs to be addressed and FAST.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

15 years and counting
    You can check what the FatWallet members are saying about the toolbar. Many would like more obvious warning than just an icon turning red.
    It has been going on since Dec 17th for beta testing. Is Brian counting the cookies...
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fatw...86198/?start=0
    I like this one:
    "captainlynne said: I tried to use it and it says I need cookies enabled. I already have fatwallet.com as a permitted cookie. Is there some other cookie I need to have enabled or do all cookies have to be enabled? Right now I only allow certain sites I trust to send cookies."

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    What if, instead of a simple "last click wins the commish" rule, there was a "last click wins the commish unless it's a toolbar" rule. Is that do-able?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    What if, instead of a simple "last click wins the commish" rule, there was a "last click wins the commish unless it's a toolbar" rule. Is that do-able?
    Rhea, that wouldn't work.. The whole point of Fatwallet's toolbar is to allow their members to earn cash-back which necessitates Fatwallet earning the commission.
    Stop blaming the parasites, low return days, cookie stuffers, networks, lousy AMs, and TOOLBARS!

Personally, I don't see a problem with this type of toolbar.. The only people that are going to use it are people that use and understand Fatwallet. Most of these people make sure to use a Fatwallet affiliate link anyway to get their cash-back. The Fatwallet toolbar might help the 10% of so of folks that forget to use a Fatwallet cashback link. It's not going to have a dramatic difference on anyone's earnings.

We must remember, the people that are going to use this are the people that WANT TO USE IT.

Code Monkey - are you kidding? (Assuming you're right about the 10%): 10% is a HUGE amount of money

So let's change the scenario a little bit.

The people who sign up at FatWallet are similar to some of our sites. They sign up because they want to get cash back.

What if those people ASK for a download that insures you will set the tracking cookie for them when they visit any store that offers to pay cash back and THEY want it to run in the background so it does the work for them.

The customer has initiated the action by asking for the code to download to handle the task for them in future.

If FatWallet's tool bar operated that way would each of you be more or less opposed to it?

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I don't get what you are saying Howard but I see the words customer and ask and all I have to say is what the customer asks for isn't in the contracts. Don't touch my cookies with your software- period.

I can ask for a lot of things, that doesn't mean I get it. I can walk into the grocery store and ask for 1/2 off my total bill, that might be good customer service for them to provide it for me. But there's more to making business decisions than what the customer asks for, especially when they have no idea (and really they don't care) what's going on behind the scenes.

Run your business as you see fit but don't come trampling all over mine. Stay out my store parasites.

15 years and counting
    OK, I'll bite.
    The visitors of my site have my toolbar that will set the tracking cookie for them when they visit any store. I've no content, so they don't stay on my site but they like your website because you have a wonderful design and plenty of offers.
    How nice of you to allow me to get all the commissions after entertaining my visitors. I like it, thank you. I wish more networks would accept my toolbar. I'm sorry to see your income going down. It's not my fault but the choice of my visitors. We have to respect them.

Question
    Aren't all these "Cash Back" sites going to have issues with reporting the $ transactions of there users?

Do they ask users for there social security #?

Isnt the IRS getting all the online credit card transactions ( Paypal ) now ?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast