ABW Ambassador
    We're going to be getting a pc for Nova's sister in the philippines and I need some info.

They are 220 volt and I have no idea what kind of converter she would need. If someone can make some suggestions I'd sure appreciate it.

It'll be a basic computer but I'm afraid the shipping is going to cost as much if not more than the fricking pc and monitor itself! If anyone knows a good supplier who builds reliable pcs over there or someone with good rates on international shipping, I'd certainly take a look.

Thanks for your help!

===================================
    Great News - we can now support ebates and pp merchants - they are cleaning up their act and I'll bet it'll be a long time before we see another clip of ebates overwriting affiliate links.

Many power supplies have a switch on the back that you can slide with a screwdriver between 110 and 220. If the computer doesn't currently have this power supply I would recommend buying a new ps with that option. You'll spend about 30 or 40 dollars and it only takes a few minutes to complete.

On a non-scientific poll of the kit in my office..

All of the "brand name" kit is switchable between 110V/230V. My Compaq Evo desktop does this automatically, the rest of the kit has a switch. Some of the "no name" cheap stuff only has a 230 PSU. The people selling you the PC should be able to help with this though, or it might even been in the specifications.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the info on the switch - somehow I envisioned the need for some kind of "black box" serving as a converter unit.

Now if I can only find a way to avoid outragous shipping charges! The Mrs sent a couple of boxes to her family for xmas that wasn't that heavy and those cost $200 to ship alone. I'm dreading to think what a heavy pc and bulky monitor would cost.

Great News - we can now support ebates and pp merchants - they are cleaning up their act and I'll bet it'll be a long time before we see another clip of ebates overwriting affiliate links.

ABW Ambassador
    My aunt is just going back to the philippines and taking all the gifts etc with her.

(that's how expensive shipping is LOL)

I never got my T-Shirt

The Philippines are North of the Equator, aren't they? (my knowledge of world geography is appaling).

Monitors don't work the other side of the Equator because they depend on the Earth's magnetic field to function properly (CRTs, that is...)

SamyT!

G'day, Sheila!

On a similiar subject, I want to take my laptop on a mini vacation and would like to use the laptop during the long drive (no, silly, not while I'm doing the driving). Can one of those plug in cigarette lighter converters do the trick or do I need a special one? I don't want to fry my laptop with power fluctuations.

Thanks!

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> G'day, Sheila! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    LOL Ok Radegast..... you can call me Sheila if I can call you 'Pommie Git' in return

I never got my T-Shirt

Wouldn't it be easier to find a computer in the Philippines and you buy it for her?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SamyT:
    LOL Ok Radegast..... you can call me Sheila if I can call you 'Pommie Git' in return
    [QUOTE]

Fair dos, possum!

Poon,
    I have a book that lists the AC power of countries all over the world. This book shows that the power in the Philippines is 110/220 60Hz (same as the US). The power cord plug is also listed as the same type as the US.
    As other people have said, most PC's have a manual switch or switch automatically.

CDC

I Can't Complain But Sometimes I Still Do

Poon, why don't you get her a Laptop, I never use anything except laptops and I never had a problem using them in several different countries as they come with a power adaptor which covers every kind of voltage, plus a laptop would cost less to ship.

ABW Ambassador
    @cdc - I'm not questioning your book but a hair dryer was one of the things that Nova sent her sister and she said she couldn't use it because of the plugin and differences in electric components?

Either your book is wrong or there is a basic failure of communication between Nova, her sister and me - which could be the case . Anyway thats the basis for my question here.

@JJay - Not a bad idea.

@Zoe - We're Looking for a reliable reference over there as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 7-days:
    On a similiar subject, I want to take my laptop on a mini vacation and would like to use the laptop during the long drive (no, silly, not while I'm doing the driving). Can one of those plug in cigarette lighter converters do the trick or do I need a special one? I don't want to fry my laptop with power fluctuations.

Thanks!

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Ron,

Yes, you can absolutely use a converter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and transforms 12 V down to 110/220. No problem at all.

My husband and I use one on our boat to power up the laptop that has the software for the sea maps, plug into the GPS, and navigate our route.

Just remember to only power your laptop through the 12 V when the engine is running. If you use it while the engine is stopped, you could run down the battery.

Poon - sounds like maybe it is not a voltage issue but just the shape of the plug. It should be possible to purchase a converter plug from any travel/luggage shop that will allow a U.S. two-prong plug to fit into whatever type of plug is used in the Philippines.

Susan

[This message was edited by csm on December 18, 2003 at 03:10 AM.]

Buying there makes more sense for service, IMO.

If you do go with shipping, try calling international movers. Often they have room in a container for cheap.

Check out customs rules also, or on top of shipping your SIL could end up having to pay a pretty penny to release the puter from customs.

Just a note that printers are not usually dual voltage like the monitors and CPU's.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

HP lists some dealers in the Philippines on its website (haven't got the URL, easy enough to find though). That will save on customs charges, give local support and they sell printers too

However, if you do tat, you'll probably want to talk to your credit card company first else they'll probably reject the transaction if shipped to anywhere other than the cardholder's address.
    ________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Moo - will check it out.

ABW Ambassador
    Poon, my aunt tells me what power supply used depends on where in the Philippines they live - apparently it's different top and bottom (i think the top half is more like the USA) - anyway, she tells me you should be able to order one from the Philippines instead of shipping one over.

Keep in mind, she's lived here nearly 20 years (with a few visits back), so my information isn't precise

I never got my T-Shirt

Susan,

Thanks for the info...much appreciated.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Sammy,

Shes in the Manila, Queson City area. I checked hp and did find some of thier partners over there.

I'll check things out, pick her a pc and then we'll probably just wire her the money and let her go pick it up. She's not very tecnical and I wanted to be sure that what she was getting wouldn't be an overpriced piece of junk. I found a decent system that will fill her needs for 36000P.

IBM also sell systems in the Philippines, starting at Ps37,891 http://www.ibm.com/products/ph/

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread