Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Avantlink Merchants and Popshops
    I don't know if I should post this here on on the Popshops forum, but how come Avantlink merchants aren't on Popshops?

That would be really helpful and it's one of the main reasons I haven't fully promoted Avantlink merchants.

By the way, you guys don't allow toolbars do you?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Although PopShops is a great product, we offer most all the same functionality that third party tool providers offer (and if we don't offer it now, we will soon)...integrated directly within the network.

Use of this technology is free for qualified merchants, and Affiliates.

Which tool would that be?

Product Display Builder?

And no drama intended, for my own personal reference- toolbar affiliates Y or N? You can PM me if you can't answer that publicly.

The Product Display Builder is actually being re-written and re-launched as a new tool, as we speak. Keep an eye out for the Product Ad Widget, more info soon on that.

...so hopefully the next generation of the Product Display Builder will fit your needs more.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    I don't know if I should post this here on on the Popshops forum, but how come Avantlink merchants aren't on Popshops?

That would be really helpful and it's one of the main reasons I haven't fully promoted Avantlink merchants.
    I've wondered the same and think that, even if Avantlink offers those tools, not having Avantlink merchants in Pop Shops is a disservice to all involved. While I'm creating a Pop Shop, I pull from available merchants and not gonna go make an entire *new* page to drop in either above or below the Pop Shop at Avantlink and with only 1 merchant at a time. Doesn't make sense to me. Would love to undertsand the reasons behind ommitting Pop Shops as an additional tool.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I promote brand names on my websites and use PopShops exclusively to do this. It cost nothing to a merchant to be on PopShops and would open your merchants to many more affiliates such as myself. Several of your merchants are on PopShops such as Skechers, Altrec, Backcountry, Moosejaw, ProBoardShop, Shop Sansa through other networks just to name a few. So for the affiliate that uses tools such as PopShops, it does nothing for us that you offer a similiar tool when our entire sites are built on other tools.

I have 2 sites that many of your merchants would fit in perfect but your merchants are missing out on potential sales due to the limited access to their data feeds.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

In regards to the question about toolbars, here is a link to the current clause for that in our terms of use for Affiliates:

http://www.avantlink.com/terms_and_conditions.php#sec12

Gary, I think it's a huge mistake for you to exclude PopShops (and probably the other datafeed aggregators) -- and I say this even though I've decided that those firms won't meet my needs personally. (I'm currently working aggressively on building my own in-house solution to import and manage datafeed content and to integrate them together with original content into my niche sites.)

Essentially, you are saying that an affiliate who wishes to create a storefront on their site must choose between PopShops (which provides access to datafeeds from hundreds of merchants across many networks -- including many Avantlink merchants who also have programs through other networks) and your solution (which is much more limited). It's not a difficult choice for an affiliate to make -- I think you'll lose every time.

I'm sure that your product-display and store builder tools are great and very useful for many affiliates. I don't think they could possibly provide a service that truly competes with what PopShops offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    In regards to the question about toolbars, here is a link to the current clause for that in our terms of use for Affiliates:

http://www.avantlink.com/terms_and_conditions.php#sec12
    Gary, thanks for your stand. I'm not sure how to integrate your tool into what I've been doing but I'm on my way to sign up. I need a 'safe haven'.(no replies, drama or comments please)
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    I also don't promote AvantLink merchants due to the fact that they aren't available through PopShops. I would love to see that change.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Avantlink tools are far and above the best available for any network.

I can see using popshops to insert products from multiple merchants at one time, but if you're targeting outdoor shops or any Avantlink merchant, Avantlink product displays are super easy to build. It takes no longer to build an Avantlink product display than it does on popshops. Unless the merchant you're using for your popshops displays is at SAS, I would choose Avantlink over the other networks (I love SAS too) as I've never had any issues with tracking.

And the customer service is second to none, I've placed requests for certain features in RSS feeds that Avantlink did in less than 24 hours while with popshops it was added to a list of things that they would look into. It cost $30 a month to get popshops rss, avantlink = free.

I will give props to the popshops wordpress plugin, that feature is awesome.

Disclaimer, I was not paid by Avantlink for this post

ABW Ambassador
    dflsports - I don't think anyone is arguing that AvantLink should do away with their tools, they obviously offer some great tools. But their tools doesn't always fit affiliates business models, which many times limits their merchants from having access to some affiliates joining their program. There is nothing wrong with having addtional tool options available.

I agree with dflsports that except for a few kinds of display, AvantLink tools are superior. If you can edit a simple html template and tweak the css you can have autofeed of a merchants' full datafeed with virtually zero maintenance using the datafeed client and it's free. Best of all is that the page titles and descriptions are dynamically populated too so there are no duplicate titles and descriptions problems. If the shop generates 200 pages each one is unique and different - and gets indexed. The AvantLink shops are very seo friendly. PopShops is a great tool too but it requires care and feeding and it does have its price. I use both. Now, if I could get SAS merchants via AvantLink datafeed client..

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Best of all is that the page titles and descriptions are dynamically populated too so there are no duplicate titles and descriptions problems. If the shop generates 200 pages each one is unique and different - and gets indexed.
    I just got approved a little while ago and haven't logged in yet.. dinner you know... but I don't see how you can avoid dup content from a datafeed that doesn't get 'hand held' at some point.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

So is this something you guys will be considering anytime soon? I'm sure your tools are great and I will explore them in the future, but as for my existing sites, popshops is what's working for me.

Hopefully you'll at least have a look at what we have to offer soon PWA (I thought you worked with our network a bit already), but no we don't have any plans for utilizing Affiliate tool/technology providers, when we have the same functionality in house.

Gary M

ABW Ambassador
    You have great tools but it's more a reach and availability issue. With functionality, with PopShops, you can combine products from merchants from different networks, with yours only merchants at Avantlink. There's a major difference right there. Plus your competitors (other networks) are using Pop Shops. And it's just easier for affiliates so you're leaving some sales out there that you could be getting just by being available. And just with this thread alone, there is a lot of interest from affiliates using Avantlink to getting into some of these other tools. Hopefully in the future. More money

I just got approved a little while ago and haven't logged in yet.. dinner you know... but I don't see how you can avoid dup content from a datafeed that doesn't get 'hand held' at some point.
    You will see it when you edit your setup. The title tags and descriptions work like WebMerge, (only it's php) pulling in relevant keywords that make each page different enough. Another thing that helps is all the options available when you set up your feed. No two shops are likely to be identical unless the template is uploaded raw. It is very configurable to match the rest of your site.

ABW Ambassador
    I've joined avantlink for a while. It took me quite some time to get a little familiar with avantlink's tools(even after a few email tutorials from their nice tech supports). Honestly, I'm still not comfortible with using those tools. I know they are great tools, but just hard to combine the products to my existing popshop pages.

It will be wonderful if Avantlink provide their merchant feeds on popshops as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    And it's just easier for affiliates so you're leaving some sales out there that you could be getting just by being available.
    Leaving money on the table is an understatement, especially considering recent events. People are looking for options that don't seem to exist.

There's always been talk about these two great, clean
    networks but it seems that one "won out" (so to speak)over the other due to the fact that they had a wider variety of merchants. But they were both trustworthy.

Oh how the tide turns, yet its easy to stay with
    where you are because of availability. You may have the functionality, but you still have the limited merchants issue. If I have a site about blue socks, you may only have one merchant, and I need to be able to easily pull from multiple networks. I don't want to go back and fourth and have formats not matching.

By choosing to stay "insulated" you are missing out.
    Not only is there interest, but the circumstances
    seem to be in your favor, unless there is something
    I don't know because of the lack of a direct answer to my question and I don't speak TOS legalese.

Yes, my interest has now risen towards your network, all I am asking is that you make it easy for me to promote your merchants.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread