Cool Help with Outbound link Anchor Text
    Need everyone's suggestion on the following:-

Everyone knows the importance of internal links with keyword anchor texts (for getting internal link juice). Also, links from other sites pointing to your site with keyword anchor text also helps your pagerank.

Now here is the question that got me thinking!

What about the outbound links pointing to other sites from your own site? Obviously we must use some anchor text to describe the outbound link to another site. However, should we use keywords that are targeted for our own site or use related/topical synonyms type keywords? If we use targeted keywords to benefit our own site then it will indirectly give advantage to the external site (as it will become a good backlink with a keyword for that site!!!).

Also, suppose I use the keyword "locksmith tool" for an outbound link, if I am targeting my own site for that particular keyword for search rankings then I highly doubt if it will help my own site's cause! As the competitor/outbound site will get the backlink credit with the keyword!

So how do we get around this or is there a specific guideline to using anchor text for outbound link?

Everyone please shed some light on this.

Cheers,

Mottobiz

Looking forward to everyone's suggestion.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Just my somewhat unproven opinion is that outbound anchor text is important too.

Anchor text that matches your site theme will help your status as an authority site in that theme. I think. . . This is really something only the coders of search algorithms would know for sure.

And why not help the other site? If they are a competitor, then don't link to them. If they provide additional helpful info in a non-competitive manner, then let them benefit.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Thanks a lot Cheesehead.

I appreciate your insight. I think its best to try out a few things and may be I can learn from my own experience.

Thanks again,

Chetan

You mentioned PageRank so I'm assuming your focus is on how Google sees your site.

The anchor text you use is credited to both sites. You certainly will be passing some "link juice" to the outbound link with keyword relevancy of the anchor text.

Google appreciates websites who link out to more information. If the keyword phrase your optimizing this page for, has links to more information about these keywords, you certainly get some credit for this.

If your looking for great internal linking practices, take a peak at wikipedia. Big G loves them and they internally link like crazy.

When I have a good article and want to link out with the anchor text keyword phrase, I'll write a good blog post on the subject, and link to that with the anchor text I'm concerned about.

Don't forget about the rel="nofollow" tag if it's applicable.

Smile
    Howdy calebtheredwood-

Thanks for sharing your tips. You are right.. My focus is to make my site google friendly. I will also consider the "nofollow" option for outbound links that's not all that relevant to my page theme.

Few more questions if you don't mind-

What if I use a keyword (this keyword is targeted for my site) as anchor text on the affiliate outbound link? As you said earlier, it's not a problem as long as the anchor text is credited to both sites. But do you think the prominence of the keyword will decrease as its linking out to a competitor? In this case, my affiliate becomes my competitor cuz the page theme is the same!!!!!).

Do you think I should put a "no follow" on the affiliate link to solve this?

Thanks once again- I really appreciate your help on this

Mottobiz

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    OK, I have a blog question related to the outbound links. I write a blog, and I link out to other articles sometimes for more info, but I try to use the titles as the anchor text & alt text. Good practice or so-so?

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    OK, I have a blog question related to the outbound links. I write a blog, and I link out to other articles sometimes for more info, but I try to use the titles as the anchor text & alt text. Good practice or so-so?
    I did an experimental site about a year ago where I focused solely on outbound linking to relevant pages for my target keyword phrase. For link text I used mainly the author's name in the case of blog posts and/or the site name I was linking to. I made no effort to include keywords in the outbound link text, nor did I pursue inbound links. I don't want to go into detail, but the experiment worked quite well and the ranks have lasted without further input. That's not to say including the keywords in the link text would be a bad idea, it just wasn't part of my experiment.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Hey Trisha,

Just read this entire thread from the beginning, it will give you some good insights. I had a similar question as yours & it turns out that using targeted keywords can help both the outgoing site & your own site as well. But the big question that remains is- Should we use our site's primary keywords or kinda work it around (use sub keywords relevant to your main keyword) so that it doesn't look spammy.

By the way, when you said "titles" as anchor text- you mean your own page titles or the outbound article's title?

Look forward to hear from you.

Starchet

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I meant the outbound article's title. For example, if I'm blogging about PPC bidding and I see a really good article called "PPC Basics for Everyone", I may link to that and the anchor text I've used is "PPC Basics for Everyone", just the title of the article.

So what you're suggesting is that instead I write the sentence "Everyone should learn the PPC basics before you begin" and use just the "ppc basics" portion as anchor text? (Just to make sure I'm understanding you right)

Hi Trisha,

Before I can suggest about the anchor text on the outbound link article. For the page (your own page/site) you are putting this outbound article link, are you targeting your page with a specific keyword? If yes, then you should try adding your own targeted keyword along with the "ppc basics" anchor text. This way your page will be optimized for your own target keyword and it will also describe what the outbound link article is all about. It is always wise to describe your outbound link in a natural way so that your visitors can stay well informed.

Hope this will clear the smoke.

Look forward for your suggestions.

Starchet

The anchor textof outbound links from your site goes towards your keyword density.
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Cool
    Hello Niche,

I have so far heard contradicting views on using keywords on outbound anchor text. Earlier I used my site's target keyword in the outbound links but then I read a lot of different articles (Seomoz, Website magazine etc) that outbound link anchor text should not contain your own keyword but rather a topical or relevant theme keyword.
    The reason given for this was the following- if you are putting outbound link with your own keyword then your outbound site (competitor) gets the backlink with the keyword instead of your site getting any kind of keyword density. Plus the search engine will be confused about giving you credit for that keyword as it links to an outbound site. By putting own keyword in outbound link, you are indirectly creating competition with the outbound site! On the other hand, I have also read that by putting primary keyword as anchor text will give credit to both the outbound site and your own site also.

I am still confused how to decide on this matter.

Any more suggestions?

Look forward to hear from you.

Starchet

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread