ABW Ambassador
    I recently saw a post from that evil moronic ninkompoop "ecomcity" that basically asked why was it that ABW doesn't have an affiliate best practices policy to follow? Now, I know the old geiser spews out foul tasting fodder to many but as usual, I see more than just glimpses of where the post has some outstanding points to consider. With that said, I won't question why this thread doesn't exist but rather to ask if one should be started?

All of us (well most of us) should have a vested interest in teaching affiliates especially newbees how to act more responsibly and protect themselves from the many unfair terms we are subjected to. Making change comes slowly but only with change will we ever be able to change merchant perceptions and the many shaddy practices we have to be on our toes with.

Gearshopper started a thread concerning one day cookies and the best advice IMO is very simple. Always communicate with a merchant and let them know you wont promote them "for whatever practice" or that you have dropped them for whatever practice. I'm sure many of us do this but I also feel certain there is a large percentage that doesn't.

Having an area where we can consisely list items like this, may impact small changes that help us chip away at how effective a merchant is in not only abusing us but making them better aware of how many of us "are aware" and will not fall into their abusive traps.

I bring this topic up not so much to be a start of a best practices list but rather to see how most of you feel about the concept and whether one should be implemented or not. What do you think?

===================================
    Great News - we can now support ebates and pp merchants - they are cleaning up their act and I'll bet it'll be a long time before we see another clip of ebates overwriting affiliate links.
    ===================================

I like it!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

All for it.

"I did'nt get where I'm at today by worrying about how I'm going to feel tomorrow."

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.atrustedmerchant.com/criteria.htm

Something like that?

I work in lounge pants

Just Lurking
    About D@MN time!

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    http://www.atrustedmerchant.com/criteria.htm

Something like that?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More than willing to expand on that list ... let's get it goin!

</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Well do this then. Open a forum and have a straight list of 1 day cookie merchants, that could be the title "1 Day Cookie Merchants" or something more clever. Then affiliates can easily check then maybe fire off an email to merchant, or maybe the merchant lurks and doesn't want their name on the list and will give better cookies.

1 Day Cookie Merchants Forum

Merchant A
    Merchant B
    Merchant C

So someone can check real quick, really simple.

Also the idea i had posted in the private forum over a year ago, Merchant A Day Ratings. Every day pick a merchant, and have people post the + and the - of the program. This will bring more merchants if they see some negative feedback on their program. Exposure will get results.

Merchant A Day Forum
    Pick A Merchant - Merchant name in Subject line so it can be found easily. Let people post what they know, are they with parasites, cookie duration, how good is their AM, do they have a feed? coupons? how is their creative? reversal problems?

Stuff like what i posted above can be very beneficial to affiliates and will grow this forum even more.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on December 18, 2003 at 06:51 PM.]

I just finished a "Best Practices" project at my day job and I think this is an excellent idea!

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar

Merchant A
    Merchant B
    Merchant C
    ------------

Perfect Solution!

I may be new, but this 1 day cookie thing just doesnt cut it for me. Why would I limit myself as a merchant in how many sales my affliates make, I just don't get it.

Note to merchants: If you don't care about me, then I don't care to market you.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I can't believe this... The Poonster puts some parrot poop on a baited hook and casts it into fertile waters....

Whoopie lets do the same old same old ...roast some sleezy merchants practices and out some BHO's and run the flaming routines we all know by heart. Monitor the network reporting and watch the Feds and corporate legal bull dogs tar & feather some Duper spammers. Great fun as I volunteered time to all the above causes.

But serious folks look at the meat of Poonmeisters plea...

"evil moronic ninkompoop "ecomcity" that basically asked why was it that ABW doesn't have an affiliate best practices policy to follow? Now, I know the old geiser spews out foul tasting fodder to many but as usual, I see more than just glimpses of where the post has some outstanding points to consider."

This is a call for an "affiliates best practices policy", which when adopted and applied will dictate to the merchants and networks the rules of engagement, if they want to play ball on a level playing field and recruit honest ethical affiliate partners. The riff raff is being taken care of as we speak.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> which when adopted and applied will dictate <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(That part about dictating to "networks and merchants" doesn't add up--the proposal was for an AFFILIATE best practices policy)

Now--did anybody get into this business to be dictated to?

Nobody?

Didn't think so!

It'll be a 90-degree Michigan February before I go along with anybody "dictating" to me.

A "guideline" is one thing, but when people start trying to *dictate* anything (no matter how good it sounds), I will oppose on principal. Following orders--and getting ordered around--is for soldiers and corporate slaves, not self-employed business people.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrami:

Merchant A
    Merchant B
    Merchant C<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go For it ... http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&...9&f=3766078225

</font></p>

Well, to talk about best practices, you must of necessity talk about bad practices.

So, do we tell people not to put beans in their ears? A lot of people who never even thought of putting beans in their ears will go out and do it after it has been "suggested.

Uh, what are the "bad" practices anyway? Do They make a lot of money? How can I do them and get on this gravy train, too?

Eagerly awaiting responses so I can get rich. Please, list the ones that take little if any cost and effort first.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ( EC puts his Psychic hat on, and sees a stunning number of merchants switching over to a 2 day cookie )

LOL!

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread