Tax Paying Member
    What a day
    Early this morning, about the time that my wife yelled......."Honey, our web sites are down"......I got a message from my web host.........Simply said
    Your account has been suspended
    No explanation of what the problem might be. But they did give me a telehone number.

I am locked out. Can't fix it. Can't even see what the problen is.

The nice young man on the phone tells me that one of my sites is developing entirely too many errors.............Ok, I cant figure out the problen with out some access. His supervisor granted me ftp access and problem was fixed in 2 1/2 minutes.

While I was on the phone, my internet provided decided to interupt all service for about 15 minutes.

I may bet on Portland to win the super bowl...............What do you mean, they are not playing.............Oh well................

Things are back on line and my host is expecting a renewal check in 3 weeks....... .......I don;t know that they did anything wrong other than they made it difficult to fix the problem. They shut me down with 30 minutes of when the problem began without any warning..

Lots of lessons learned about domain name being registered with my host, e-mail service being tied to my domain, data feed readers need data or they may burp, shared hosting, etc.........

What a day.........BTW, I did pack up the Christmas tree today.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Wow, quite the day.. nothing comes close to the panic of NO websites!

For what it's worth, stuff like this always serves as a terrific reminder to review paid services. I had a similar problem myself last year, and I've now split my hosting. Left the 'problem' account in place, which handles my basic sites, and opened a VPS account with a new host for the other sites.

I think you need to put your feet up now - enjoy the rest of the day!

http and a telephoto
    Yes, take a breath and relax now that it's fixed. Then this week be sure to divide the hosting from the registration, and use google apps for your pop server. That gives you more control over what dies when your hosting goes for whatever reason.

I have some of my domains using g apps for email and need to get the rest changed over. If you ask any host they will tell you that email processing take more server power than almost any other process.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Yes, take a breath and relax now that it's fixed. Then this week be sure to divide the hosting from the registration, and use google apps for your pop server. That gives you more control over what dies when your hosting goes for whatever reason.

I have some of my domains using g apps for email and need to get the rest changed over. If you ask any host they will tell you that email processing take more server power than almost any other process.
    What Loxly said. Plus, if you are making any serious money with aff marketing and have several sites - make sure to spread them among two different hosts. Then you will never be totally off line.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    My sites are spread over 4 hosts. I'm looking to add a 5th even though it's not neccessary, I am just paranoid for many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    My sites are spread over 4 hosts. I'm looking to add a 5th even though it's not neccessary, I am just paranoid for many reasons.
    How many sites per host?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    What a day

What a day.........BTW, I did pack up the Christmas tree today.
    Sorry Witzer, but you just have triggered two keywords on my mind, so...

Stop with the halve empty glass thing and think about the halve full glass thing, ok?

--------

Oh What A Night!

I don't know if I could take all that, wow, Never had a problem with my site, pay 20$ a month to our server/hosting service. I can relate though, with verizon when my internet goes down I might have to spend 6 hours on the phone and get nothing fixed.

I had a host problem years ago. A few weeks later, I read a story about how the CEO had gone crazy and started unplugging all the servers and then drove off in his convertible.

ABW Ambassador
    Great timing for this thread. My host made some changes to their firewall last week and for some reason Canadian surfers couldn't see any site hosted behind the firewall - including my Canadian niche sites! (The host is in the US) This is a strange but true story direct from their help desk. The problem went on for about 8 hours but it had a definite impact on my natural search results. It has taken a few days for my search results to come back but they seem to be on the mend now...

Thanks for the lessons everyone - I will be shopping for a couple of new hosts today...

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Why I never obtain my domain name through the host.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I used to run our servers out of the house. The small town I had moved to didn't have DSL, so I had to get a T1 and figured I might as well. Unfortunately I didn't know about how the dust devils in grass seed country whip the drying hay into the air and drape clumps of it over the power lines. One morning, one of the countless outages/surges finally went right through the UPS and fried the Cisco router. That was a chaotic day!

I finally had to load up the servers into the car and drive 40 minutes into town to a little colo facility where they let me park 'em on the floor next to one of the racks. Fun fun...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

This is the right time to practice - PATIENCE - to the truest sense of the word. Nothing can beat the benefit of this virtue especially nowadays that everything we do tend to be all rush. And because of this fast pace lifestyle, we develop the habit of making a big fuss out of small things. But in your case, I can't blame you for acting somewhat worried or what because of the "yell". Experiencing on-the-spot suspension without warning is really a nerve wracking experience. But still you manage to calm yourself. That's great.
    Last edited by yollyp; February 4th, 2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread