Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We regret to inform you that you have been dropped from the GoldenMine.com advertiser program, and you will no longer be affiliated with this advertiser as of 9/18/02. This is not intended as disapproval of the quality or value of your Web site. Each CJ advertiser has the option to determine how many and what types of publishers they will approve to their program, and they may also make changes to their program which warrant removing some of their publishers.In this case, the advertiser has supplied the following reason for removal:

No Sales this year. Not a good match.

==================

I suggested they visit the Mondera Forum so they could see what a real jewelry affiliate affiliate manager is like [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Gave them the link to it also.

Heidi
    Fit2a-t: The Center of the T-shirt Universe!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    They dropped me too for 'lack of sales' lololol, I just haven't gotten to them yet, is all. I emailed them and asked, 'Why didn't you just e-mail me and ask if you could help me make some sales', I'd of jumped at that and built a site for em, lololol. Clueless merchants are so......clueless, ya know?

If you try to please everybody, someone won't like it -Rumsfeld

ABW Ambassador
    Particularly smart move for any jewelry merchant to drop ANY affiliate as we enter the holiday season. If there was any time of year that someone who hadn't provided sales might start... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

Poop for brains. Shouldn't CJ be helping these yahoo's learn the business? They need to start a CJ Merchant University.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL .."start a CJ Merchant University" ..call it the School of Hard Knocks.

WebMaster Mike

Hi,

I'm the affiliate manager at GoldenMine. I apoligize once again for pissing off any potential good affiliates. I tried to deactivate only affiliates that did not have a history of earning any commissions on CJ.

From my standpoint, it seems that affiliates primarily push for higher EPC advertisers. I realized some publishers were sending us lots of traffic, with ZERO sales. And our EPC has steadily dropped since our program was ranked #1 by 3 month EPC in June. So I decided to clean out the closet and deactivate underperforming affiliates, mainly to increase EPC and also to make management easier.

Anyhow, I did learn something new from your feedback and I greatly appreciate it, even though it was a little harsh. I don't mind criticism when appropriate.

15 years and counting
    You should have been reading this boards before deactivating a lot of affiliates.
    Too bad, Too late.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Thanks for warning us Heidi. I'll know to stay away from that one when I go live with my jewelry site. Sounds like this one can't convert if they are dropping so many good affiliates for no sales. I've got some good jewelry merchants like Mondera.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

ABW Ambassador
    br33526

I hope that your visit wasn't just a drive by. Hang around and see what communication with affiliates can do for your sales. There are a number of merchants here that through good communication have increased their sales figures.

BTW, The CJ mail system isn't communication. This board and my email address is a good way to start it.

Mike [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

quote:
    From my standpoint, it seems that affiliates primarily push for higher EPC advertisers.

Not so. At least not if an affiliate knows what they are doing. Most of us will join a program with a lower EPC if we are reasonably sure we can promote the merchant successfully, low EPC or not. I've got several merchants with EPC in the $2-$3 range that I do nicely with. It's much more important to have a decent number of return days, an acceptable reversal rate, and not be in bed with scumware.

What most of us will NOT do, however, is take a chance on a program that will ditch us after we've put in the time, money, and effort to make pages, or even a site, promoting them.

Welcome to ABW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

{

quote:
    Originally posted by br33526:
    Hi,

I'm the affiliate manager at GoldenMine. I apoligize once again for pissing off any potential good affiliates. I tried to deactivate only affiliates that did not have a history of earning any commissions on CJ.

Did it ever occur to you to contact all these affiliates that you dropped to find out either why there were no links up yet or what YOU could do to help us convert? Whether it be with better creatives, more product links or ad spin etc?

Sometimes the problem of converting isn't on the affiliate end but on the merchant end. Sometimes its a combination of both.

I certainly don't recall ever recieving a note from you asking any of these questions.

I'm willing to go ahead and give your program a shot - Thank You for re-instating me and taking the time to make your appearance here as I invited you to do.

I like Mondera, but I also like to diversify into as many producing merchants as I can to give my visitors the most possible choices I can give and to protect me from great income loss when a merchant decides to end their program or goes bankrupt.

Please do stick around here and get to know the other affiliate managers, the affiliates and a lot of nitty gritty things that you might not think of on your own. This place is educational for merchants and affiliates alike.

Heidi

ABW Ambassador
    GoldenMine Affiliate Manager:

As far as EPC goes; this is an abstract concept that has very little if any true meaning.

A high EPC help to attract "new" affiliates, but if you did a little homework, you would find that "productive" affiliates don't give a hoot what your EPC is!

There are high-EPC programs at CJ that I can't make a nickel on, and there are low-EPC programs where I make a killing. Surely many others here can say the same. IMHO you have the best jewelry program at CJ, whether your EPC is $1.00 or $100.00

BTW - Welcome to ABW. Glad to see you here.

AS SEEN ON SE!!!

ABW Ambassador
    I just find it funny that instead of posting in here again to the suggestions that have been offered, our boy is off asking how to do email advertising. Nice first impression.

Mike

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

br33526 wrote:

quote:
    I realized some publishers were sending us lots of traffic, with ZERO sales. And our EPC has steadily dropped since our program was ranked #1 by 3 month EPC in June. So I decided to clean out the closet and deactivate underperforming affiliates, mainly to increase EPC and also to make management easier.

WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE PUBLISHERS FAULT WHEN THERE ARE NO SALES?

Did you ever stop to think that maybe there's something YOU - as a merchant - need to do to help them convert that traffic?

After all, the traffic must have been interested enough to click your link. THE PUBLISHER DID THEIR JOB. The site visitor clicked the link and came to your site!

NOW IT'S YOUR TURN TO MAKE THE SALE - THE PUBLISHER IS OUT OF THE PICTURE AT THIS POINT!

I don't care if you're selling flower pots on a tools site, if the click was made there was interest there. Why they didn't buy is another story.

Andy

15 years and counting
    Well Said Crankin'_Deelz, this is my own experience, too. Don't go for high EPC merchants if you don't have the right web site or traffic, it's a mistake too many new affiliates are doing.
    quote:
    A high EPC help to attract "new" affiliates, but if you did a little homework, you would find that "productive" affiliates don't give a hoot what your EPC is!

There are high-EPC programs at CJ that I can't make a nickel on, and there are low-EPC programs where I make a killing.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

There are 5730 working affiliates right here.

This is where your bread is buttered. A lot of the people who sign up at CJ are just putting up banners and hoping for the best. No need to deactivate them. Maybe, they are just starting. Maybe, their friends and family will buy. Hey, a sale is a sale.

But, this is where the real sales force is.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Hey can you update your datafeed with CJ so all the products are in stock?????

It helps when trying to sell products if you actually have them to sell [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Heidi

quote:

It helps when trying to sell products if you actually have them to sell

... and they're blaming affiliates for dropping their EPC???

"The buck stops here"

{

quote:
    Originally posted by eaglefire:
    ... and they're blaming _affiliates_ for dropping their EPC???

Umm yup. And considering I hadn't had any links up, so that meant no impressions nor clicks - it was impossible for me to be one of the ones that dropped their epc to begin with.

I put up their datafeed last night on one of my sites and many of the products take me to their front page instead of to the product.

Heidi

Hi Everyone,

I welcome everyone's feedback. As to conversion, we convert fairly well and have a number of affiliates that do well every month. So I assumed that the few affiliates that send hordes of traffic w/o any sales were sending junk traffic. We also have a few SEO affiliates that may only send a few 100 clicks per month but have an EPC of $30+.

We don't have the resources allocated to our affiliate program to contact and help each and every publisher convert. Our resources are directed at increasing conversion rates, period. We are in the business of selling jewelry and realize that the end game is about conversions.

Heidi, we have not implemented a datafeed yet b/c no affiliates seem to be using them. Yes, I have neglected them since the last update, but that is b/c affiliates have not used them. If you check the other advertisers that have product links, almost none of them are used.

P.S. I would make suggestions to any affiliate that asked for help how to sell better.

If you go to our site and sign up for our newsletter, you'll likely end up purchasing from us.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by br33526:
    Heidi, we have not implemented a datafeed yet b/c no affiliates seem to be using them. Yes, I have neglected them since the last update, but that is b/c affiliates have not used them. If you check the other advertisers that have product links, almost none of them are used.
    [QUOTE]

If you believe this then you haven't been on my 80+ domains. Nor have you been on the majority of affiliate sites that are high earners that know how to push product for the merchants.

Are you sure you know what affiliates do? If Datafeeds aren't important to us then why do we request them and receive them from thousands of merchants????

Heidi

>We don't have the resources allocated to our affiliate program to contact and help each and every publisher convert.

So send them here.

I

Heidi,

I have our entire product data feed that Catalog City uses. It is in txt format. Would this work for you and other affiliates? It is updated every morning so you don't have to worry about out of stocks. It is downloadable via ftp.

Regards,

Brian

It will most likely work.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Yes that would work, Why don't you just put it up on commission junction for all of us to use instead of just catalog city?

Heidi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast