Creating GC site with the PHP code

There is a first time for all things... Wondering if someone could offer some insight and help.

I am trying to copy and past the php code for my first GC store into my web editor. I have saved the page index.php and have pasted the code between the <body and the </body> section.

The code I have pasted is the php code directly from GC which is:

$IPAddress = urlencode($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);
    $UserAgent = urlencode($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']);
    $URL = $URL.'&PageURL='.$PageURL;
    $URL = $URL.'&IPAddress='.$IPAddress;
    $URL = $URL.'&UserAgent='.$UserAgent;

After pasting the code and viewing in the preview pane of the web editor all that I see is the code even when connected to the internet. Still I uploaded that index.php file to my web host and I still only see the php code and not a wonderful first web site. Any assistance would be truly appreciated to have a site up and running correctly...

ABW Ambassador
    Upload the index.php to your web host and test there. To view .php on your pc, you need to have apache and php set up. Its much easier to just test it on your web host.

If you still see the code on your host, that means your host may not support .php. What kind of host did you sign up for, a linux hosting or windows hosting. Linux hosting does support php.

If you have a linux host, make sure your file extension is .php and not .php.html or .php.txt. You get the wrong extn if you save the file incorrectly.

Thank you for the reply. I did upload the .php file and test there.

I am using linux hosting and yes saved the file as .php

Still unable to view the full site when uploaded, just see the code.

Would still appreciate some help with this, determined to get a site up and running correctly...

So many different attempts with so many ventures... Determined to see this one up and running...

Tropical Mountaintop
    The code is supposed to be pasted into a page. For a browser to interpret the code it needs to have a page around the code snippet. Go back to GoldenCan, take a look at some of their sample sites. Look at the source code and you can see what's missing. The snippet is missing the instructions for the browser to be able to show you a completed page.

Thank you to those that have commented on this post, your information has been helpful.

I now have my first fully operational GC store up on the web

The main thing that may help others that needed to be correct before my GC store was visible was I needed to have the enabled PHP's allow_url_include option in the php.ini configuration file to be set. This was done by the web host.

P.S. I have also used readfile($URL) instead of Include($URL) which is near the end of the script and this also worked, though I am not sure how this affects the site at a deeper level overall. If anyone knows the difference feel free to comment.

Thanks again

GoldenCAN php script
    Thanks for sharing your solution! After days of fiddling with my test page, at long last my store is showing something nice!

i was wondering if you guys can give a little help. since it's the same question, i thought i'll just post here instead of opening a new thread.

i tried to use Vbadvaned and i tried to upload it on my server, neither worked.

by the way, i use vbadvanced cmps as my front page, and vbulletin as the forum.

If my server is running on Linux, what's the next best programing language to use? there is java, asp,

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread