Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm posting this here because I know a lot of you are also included within this site. I hate clowns like this, as I've had to waste a good hour plus writing a copyright infringement letter to him and copying all the business partnerships he has.

Website is;
    [URL Removed]

Go to secondary pages and scroll down and you'll see a lot of your pages listed. You can also check your urls and see what websites include your url within their sites.

To save you some time, here are his business relationships, I've copied in the email, if you chooose to also send a notice to cease and desist;

[This message was edited by Haiko on December 19, 2003 at 01:49 PM.]

[Removed Affiliate info]

[This message was edited by Haiko on December 19, 2003 at 01:49 PM.]

Hope I'm not being naive here...how is he profiting from this? I noticed this site as a referer in my logs, and checked it out, and came to the conclusion it's a free link that is sending me traffic.

I don't see the infringement.

you don't see the infringement? did you scroll down to see the sites listed at the bottom of all his pages? Do you think they're there to benefit the owners of those websites and drive traffic to them?

Hell no, they're there to improve his site rankings by using our title and description tags to manipulate the search engines. Come on, pleaseeeese.....

If you click on one of the links from the list he provide pop up!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

' I suppose it would be tolerable if I didn't have to scroll two miles to reach the listings that were copied off Google. Because of that, it makes it plainly obvious, his purpose isn't to generate any traffic for you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CY:
    you don't see the infringement? did you scroll down to see the sites listed at the bottom of all his pages? Do you think they're there to benefit the owners of those websites and drive traffic to them?

Hell no, they're there to improve his site rankings by using our title and description tags to manipulate the search engines. Come on, pleaseeeese.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops you are right! I didn't notice the listings at the bottom of the page.

Just Lurking
    As far as I can tell, it's one of those one page Clickbank book sellers who prop up their one page site with search engine results. I don't like the practice, it's SE spam.

Maybe Google, MSN and Yahoo should send him/her a letter.

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

OK - the pop-ups are not good.
    He has the Mondera website in there, as well, with pop-ups.

Hate to mention it, but isn't the registrant's name quite similar to an ABW nick-name?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Lovely piece of value added reseller work went into this one. Wonder if he cuts lawns or shovels snow?

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

wooo, I was starting to think I may have an anger management problem....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hate to mention it, but isn't the registrant's name quite similar to an ABW nick-name? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If so maybe they should revoke his membership.

[Cleaned up and moved to the café]

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Still not quite sure where copyright issues are here. We certainly don't own the search results as they appear on Google, Yahoo, etc?

No doubt this individual has neither the talent nor inclination to create content to attract visitors, and is embarrassed enough to push the search results he exploits waaaay down to the bottom.

Interesting that the source code shows Adsense ads but they aren't appearing on my browser. Neither do any pop-ups.

Wayne

Was it determined that this person is a member here? If so, it puzzles me why you would want to protect someone who purposefully infringes on copyrighted material?

Just so I'm straight for the future, is it only against board rules to post url's for those who are known to be actual members?

Thanks

Wayne, the pop-ups (several) appear after closing a site you click through to - makes it look like your site is doing it. Not good.

CY, it's a good idea to avoid posting any URLs, because you can never be sure if it's an ABWer or not.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Dangit, I missed the url before it got cleaned up. I always miss the good stuff.

Haiko, you got speedy digits, man, I cannot keep up! Isn't it your break time or something!!

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

Just Lurking
    It looks like he has his own Clickbank book too and is using the same SE spam techique there. Of course I guess I can't point out that with a url. He's also using Domain by Proxy on that domain.

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CY:
    Was it determined that this person is a member here? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just so I'm straight for the future, is it only against board rules to post url's for those who are known to be actual members?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but posting affiliate urls is a general no no unless they are parasitic or doing something really bad.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    I guess my pop-up blocker is on the job! Didn't see any pop-ups.

Back to the copyright issue, though. I've seen this use of search engine results before while occasionally checking to see who is linking to my sites. I also see lots of sites using DMOZ listings as the content, using even the same directory structure. I really don't have an opinion one way or another about this, though. The sites generally have no page rank nor a hope in Hell of ever getting any.

But again, is the use of Google results or DMOZ listings by a third party actual copyright infringement and, if so, whose rights have been infringed upon? Does "Fair Use" play a role?

Wayne

I did a few searches and can't find any member name that is close or any wany similiar to this guy, but oh well, figured you should know, everyone for him/herself I suppose.

Here's a little coorespondence you may get a chuckle out of, as he responds to my notice and attempts to justify his actions.... lol. funny stuff. I removed any reference to individual.

My response to him is italic, his is bold....

I will remove them for you this afternoon as requested.

However, here is a link to the site you quoted in your email. http://www.chillingeffects.org/linking/faq.cgi

It states that linking has been found to “not” be a violation of copyright laws.

From Ticketmaster v. Tickets.com opinion:
    Further, hyperlinking does not itself involve a violation of the Copyright Act (whatever it may do for other claims) since no copying is involved. The customer is automatically transferred to the particular genuine web page of the original author. There is no deception in what is happening. This is analogous to using a library's card index to get reference to particular items, albeit faster and more efficiently.

"Standard Linking" and "Deceptive Linking" are two seperate and very different things, please don't play ignorant with me. You're linking deceptively by placing those links far below any site content, in order to extract personal benefit.

Twist what you want, but you're playing on a very slippery slope. I'm sure Google and your other affiliate partners will have a very different view, compared to the one you've attempted to present.

I did not design the page to be deceptive.

I used a template that added too much “white space” and I will fix that when I remove your links.

My only “crime” is that I’m terrible with HTML and that is not a “crime”.

Your links will be removed as requested.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

----------------------------------------
    lol... damn boy wake up, u aint as stupid as u look....

If you read that Ticketmaster case, it doesn't exactly state that linking is not copyright infringement. It states in that particular case, it was being done in a way that was not deceptive, as it was in this situation.

Here's the really funny part, here's the culprit of all his whitespace that just happened to appear on his page below. Looks like google may have gotten wind of his game and pulled their adsense feed off his site, which created this big white space....

&lt;script type="text/javascript">< !--
    google_ad_client = "pub-9569310752245892";
    google_ad_width = 728;
    google_ad_height = 90;
    google_ad_format = "728x90_as";
    google_color_border = "993399";
    google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";
    google_color_link = "0000FF";
    google_color_url = "008000";
    google_color_text = "000000";
    //--></script>
    &lt;script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
    </script>
    &lt;script>
    document.write('<div style="height:444%">
    </div><ilayer height="444%">
    </ilayer>');
    </script>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    add this one to Poons "affiliate best practices" forum.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Just Lurking
    Found another one of his clickbank book site where he's place actual Google, MNS and Yahoo links at the bottom. That can't actually help his PR can it? He also is using the same SE spam crap too. He does seem to have a cronic problem with whitespace too.

LOL He's selling a copywriting course too!

Just Lurking
    Ooh found lots of tricky links in Google. But screw it. Doesn't matter. Been here before, one of those gray areas, I guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast