Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Can anyone give me any info on what they think of the main brands of computer? Which is your favorite? Which ones do you hate?
    Can anyone add any main brands other than these?
    Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, Sony

I have looked at all of the above at their own websites, but they are very similar in price when I customize the computer. I am looking to buy a new computer, but I am finding it hard to decide which one to go with. I have a budget of around $3,000.

Anyone got any ideas on where to go to buy a really good computer? For business purposes, not multi-media or gaming. I do not want a 'ready to ship' computer, I would like to customize it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I only use Big Blue - IBM!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Currently running a dell and a gateway. buying an alienware next otherwise i'd buy another dell.

Dell all the way! There's nothing like configuring your own machine!

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

<TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=600><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

ABW Ambassador
    I like to find a good local shop that will build you a computer exactly the way you want it.

For 3K I could have the latest of everything AND a modest computer surround sound system to go with it.

This way if anything goes wrong you can take it right in to them and say "fix this please" and I don't have to wait weeks on end to get parts and/or labor from a big company.

It also gives me the satisfaction of supporting the little local guys and gals.

I used to build my own, but it's cheaper to have them do it. Also saves on shipping.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> For business purposes, not multi-media or gaming <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found that if you buy a top of the line gaming machine it can do everything and anything you would ever want.
    1. Upgraded graphics card is easier on your eyes.
    2. Tons of memory for opening data feeds like bettymills.
    3. Super fast CPU because, who doesn’t need that?
    4. You can write it off.

My .02

ABW Ambassador
    I forgot about IBM, thanks. I currently have a Dell, and have had no problems with it. It is just time for a more powerful computer. This one just does not handle the large datafeeds that I want to work with.

Which is better? A 3.0 GH with 2G of RAM or a 3.2 GH with 1G of RAM?

Is the extra .2 worth the extra $$$? or is getting more RAM better? Or should I just spend the extra and get a 3.2 with 2G RAM?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Find a local techie kid in college and hire him.

Barring that, try Alienware.

IMHO Dell and HP can't match the quality. And Sony and IBM are too expensive. Gateway's not even in the game...

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

ABW Ambassador
    Never heard of alienware

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Julian,

I bought a Sony Vaio desktop, fully loaded a few months ago. I swear this is the 1st computer I have ever had that is 100% problem free.

I had a Conpaq that was nothing but trouble. So I told the computer sales guy, I don't care about price, this is my business. I need the most reliable computer you have that gets no complaints or returns. He said Sony's hardly ever come back or get complaints. Got a screaming deal too. It was not that expensive.

I LOVE MY SONY! I can't tell you what the piece of mind and increase in productivity is worth! No more crashes, no more getting bogged down. I can always depend on it 100% and that's worth alot to me!

I'm sure alot of systems are good, but be sure to read user reviews on ZDnet and Cnet 1st and get something very reliable. Your business is worth it!

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

Hubby just bought his first "name brand" computer and he's already crashed it trying to flash the bios (big dork). He's always built our systems. I told him he has to stay away from this one unless he's giving me more memory....I need lots more memory...memory is king.

One thing to keep in mind, many computers don't come with boot disks, or any other kind of disks anymore, it's all on the hard drive. With the HP we just got, we can make 1, that's ONE back-up copy onto CD. Oh, and don't try flashing the bios unless you have a back-up chip. LOL.

Don't forget athlons new 64bit chip.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I agree with finding a local guy. I just bought the latest and greatest and save over $300 compared to the same Pc at Dell. Plus many local guys are usually good about supporting the PC's they build.

Dell is good though!

One real important factor in any system is backup. Make sure you get yourself a ZIP or CDRW drive so you can do scheduled backups of your critical files.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

<TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=600><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am on my third Dell and also buy them for the company I work for. They used to have next day on site service, I think now it is same day four hour service for warranty repairs. The local guy might make you leave it for a week.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Don't forget athlons new 64bit chip. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don't think we will need the 64 bit chip for a year or so. IMHO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Which is better? A 3.0 GH with 2G of RAM or a 3.2 GH with 1G of RAM? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    RAM, RAM, RAM that’s what my pappy used to say. Not really, but if they had computers in his day that is what they would have said. If you get 2GIG of ram you will notice a speed difference. If you get the 3.0 or 3.2 you will never notice the difference. You will not NEED or notice anything over a 2.5 really. If you are not gaming it's just big GIG hype. Go for the memory.

Back up is king! If not for my CD-RW, I would have had even more pain when my HDD failed. Better yet, invest in a DVD burner, they are faily low cost and your budget can definitely handle that!

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

Don't know if you have them in the US, but a few months ago I bought an Acer desktop/laptop and it's a ripper.
    17" monitor, that looks more like a 19" because of the slim surround, Pentium 4,80gig, 512, DVD/CD-RW, running XP Pro all for around $3k.

The great thing about it is being a laptop/desktop (weighs 6K) I can work on the desk, or use it anywhere I feel like working.

I've always stuck with IBM but the Acer has really impressed.

CJ,

I just bought a Dell Desktop and Laptop and so far I am really happy with them. The old computer was an HP which I was also happy with but the kids had so much crap on it, it was time to surrender it to them.

I didn't have the budget you had of 3000.oo for a desktop however. What I ended up getting was 2.40 GHz with 1 Gig of Ram. The computer flies with a cable connection. The free offer at the time was a 17 inch flat panel monitor plus a rebate. The computer is wireless, also wireless keyboard and mouse and like I said it really moves.

I agree with Squiggie, I would go for the Ram. JMO

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks everyone

Dumb question:

presumably the wireless keyboard and mouse need batteries?

(RAM is definitely the stuff to go for, by the way...)

Radegast, no such thing as a dumb question I just had to actually look at the keyboard to see about the batteries and I was the one who put them in The answer is yes to both I knew the mouse had batteries because I had to replace them already So far the keyboard batteries are holding up though. I think it's been about 2 months now, so I guess thats not to bad for the mouse.

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    You can now buy a rechargable mouse that has it's own charger base. You just put the mouse on the charger overnight. It is awesome. Made by Logitech.
    You never have to worry about the batteries running out (as long as you remember to put it on the charger, which I don't always do)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Go to TigerDirect and look over the dual processor Xeon server deals from Vision or the others. If you do database and even gaming they rock. Anything over 1 Gig of memory is a waste with multi-threading cache and pick out a hot swap raid level dual HD model for mirroring data and backups. Add the 18" LCD or go for a 19-20" Hi-res CRT and your within budget. What ever you decide use a EC link...Charlie needs his allowance.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anything over 1 Gig of memory is a waste with multi-threading cache <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's right! Don't waste your money on ram buy a 64 bit processor instead. It doesn't matter how much ram you have if your processor can't keep up with it which is the case with all computers. Ram memory is great but your clock cycles aren't as fast as the ram meaning the whole system can not run at the speeds of the ram.

Would you consider an Apple? I recently bought a Power Book notebook and am very impressed with how well everything works.

For $3K you could get a loaded eMac or iMac, MS Office for Mac and some other goodies (DVD writer, iPod, etc) and still have some money left over (unless you buy LOTS of goodies). Office is compatible with the Windows version in case you need to exchange documents with other people. I often create a document on one system and wind up editing it on another. Haven't had any problems.

Also the operating system on Macs (OS X) is built on top of Unix. It comes with Apache Web Server installed and it's easy to install PHP, mySQL or other items that you might need.

If you have a lot of money invested in PC software already I wouldn't recommend it as you would have to find Mac alternatives and purchase them.

Just my $0.02. Good luck with your purchase.

ant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast