Exclamation Walmart.com Discontinues Working With Bloggers
    Just got a tweet that reads like this:

Linkshare sent a message out "Walmart.com has made a business decision to discontinue partnering with blog sites at this time"

Srsly?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

What does that mean? Why would they tweet rather than send a message through Linkshare? Are you a Walmart affiliate with a blog promoting products?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    What does that mean? Why would they tweet rather than send a message through Linkshare? Are you a Walmart affiliate with a blog promoting products?
    No, no, Cathy. I should have been more clear. I got the tweet from an affiliate of Walmart's that got the message through Linkshare.

Just searched blogs, and found a post confirming this too.

Geno

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Some people may have just gotten that message but they sent it out months ago.

It sure seems like an odd thing to cut out. It has to be due to something other than cost. There's virtually no cost to run this since they don't have to pay out until sales are made.

I'd be interested to hear what brought this on.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTyler
    It sure seems like an odd thing to cut out. It has to be due to something other than cost. There's virtually no cost to run this since they don't have to pay out until sales are made.

I'd be interested to hear what brought this on.
    Probably trying to control the brand. I'm sure more than a few bloggers have made some disparaging comments about WM.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drumm
    Probably trying to control the brand. I'm sure more than a few bloggers have made some disparaging comments about WM.
    Not just bloggers though I would think.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I just got a termination e-mail from them, which is really irritating considering that I only recently finished up several projects that made heavy use of Wal-Mart's datafeed. Their commission rate kind of sucked, but they had everything, so they were great for filling in product gaps on niche sites.

What's especially ridiculous is that I don't promote them through any traditional "blog" sites - though the sites do use Wordpress as a CMS for simplicity.

It's stuff like this that drives me away from making any serious efforts to promote the programs of consumer product-related retailers. You never know when someone at their offices is going to get crazy ideas about dropping masses of affiliates for little to no good reason.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanie
    I just got a termination e-mail from them, which is really irritating considering that I only recently finished up several projects that made heavy use of Wal-Mart's datafeed. Their commission rate kind of sucked, but they had everything, so they were great for filling in product gaps on niche sites.

What's especially ridiculous is that I don't promote them through any traditional "blog" sites - though the sites do use Wordpress as a CMS for simplicity.

It's stuff like this that drives me away from making any serious efforts to promote the programs of consumer product-related retailers. You never know when someone at their offices is going to get crazy ideas about dropping masses of affiliates for little to no good reason.

I haven't promoted Walmart for several years, yet I am still in the program.

I'm sure their image in the opinion of those bloggers is really going to improve now.

Plus banning someone because of the CMS they use seems really weird.

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't make much sense.

"I'm sure more than a few bloggers have made some disparaging comments about WM."

But probably not walmart affiliates tho, make more money saying nice things about them The disparaging stuff on blogs about Walmart are probably not going to be their own affiliates.

I see a bump in disparaging comments about WM from their ex-affiliates in the near future.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    It's all about control with walmart. Control your employees, control suppliers, control the local markets. And with control comes profit.

I foresee a day when walmart starts housing their own employees, like China does in the factories manufacturing their goods, only in a westernized cleaned-up version. Kind of like a modern day version of the old Company Store days http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_store .
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread