ABW Ambassador
    Anyone know what I would need to be able to use a European Laptop in Miami?

I know I have to get some type of voltage converter but why is there such a huge diffrence in prices? I've seen some for $3 and others for $110 I have to be missing something...

I'm going to visit my grndma this summer overthere and I can't be working from the Library for 2 months

Any experienced traveler here?

Javi

-------------
    <font size="1">There are two theories to arguing with a woman -- neither one works.</font>

Worth checking your power supply. Most laptops accept a huge range of voltages from about 100V - 250V without problems. You WILL need an adapter for the plug - pick up at the airport for a few dollars/pounds/euros.

“There are only two settings, stun and kill...it would be best not to confuse them.”
    --Malcom Reed

ABW Ambassador
    When I use to do a lot of international traveling, I would never take or use a laptop overseas. There's more to it than just current conversion.

Ask yourself this: is it worth the chance to fry my laptop?

Best thing for you to do is put what you need on CD's and look for a company in Miami that rents computers.

By the way, bring your winter underwear. Temp was down in the 30"s (F) last night in Miami.

I'm with usefulwebs - most laptop supples will work worldwide and have the information on the label.

For example, I have a Toshiba laptop PSU on my desk. It takes an input of 100-240V at 50-60Hz which covers both European and US electrical supplies.

My Real Life workplace has offices around the world. Laptops (mostly IBM and Toshiba) from our US offices work in our European offices and vice versa with no problems at all.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Thnx all,

I'll buy the laptop next month (thnx CJ ) so I'll make sure I get one that works overthere.

Javi

-------------
    <font size="1">There are two theories to arguing with a woman -- neither one works.</font>

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Ask yourself this: is it worth the chance to fry my laptop?

Ask yourself this: Why should I scare other people from using laptops overseas (which is partly the reason why laptops exist) just because I can't turn a power supply over and read the voltage rating on it?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

I've used a Toshiba and a Dell in Hong Kong, Japan, UK, US, Argentina and Brazil with no trouble.
    As usefulwebs pointed out, the switching power supplies used in laptop computers generally accept voltages from 100 to 250, 50/60hz.
    Look on the bottom of you laptop for the power designation or if it's equipped with an external power converter (brick) look at the label on the brick. The label should state the necessary incoming supply voltage and Hertz.

CDC

I Can't Complain But Sometimes I Still Do

I used my laptop over in Belgium, no problem. I just needed a plug adaptor. The AC adaptor should state an input of 100V-240V. You don't need a transformer, just the plug adaptor if your adaptor says this. That is probably the price discrepancy you have been seeing.

ABW Ambassador
    I just found the plug adaptor my mom uses for the hair dryer, now I just need the Laptop.. (goes running to the mailbox looking for CJ/Adsense checks)

-------------

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread