Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The hypocrisy of it all... Makes you scratch your head.
    I've been watching this week as the Michael Phelps "bong" story unfolded.

Yesterday, when Kellogg's announced they will not be renewing his endorsement deal, and today when the USA Swim association suspended him for three months, I just had to note the hypocritical double standard by which mankind rewards and penalizes for the same actions. I have always opposed smoking pot or taking any other kind of illegal drugs. That's a personal choice, but this one really made me laugh and at the same time angered me with the judgmentalist mentality of the world.

This is NOT posted as a political rant, so please, no politics. But from a common sense / equal justice perspective, does it seem a bit of a paradox that one person can admit to using coke and wacky weed on a regular basis as a young man and be elected president, while another says he one time took a hit from a bong at a frat party and he is fired by sponsors and suspended from competition for three months because he is not a good role model?

The public did not think smoking pot and doing coke should disqualify a person from being president, (which is the ultimate role model position) but a swimmer takes one hit on the bong and he is dragged over the coals? As John Stoessel would say: "gimme a break!"
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

GoDaddy should give him a call. He could make some good commercials for them.
    Stop blaming the parasites, low return days, cookie stuffers, networks, lousy AMs, and TOOLBARS!

People remember recent events. And assume that a person has learned from past mistakes.

Phelps already had a DUI charge from back in 2004, and yet he was still hailed as a hero after Beijing and got lots of sponsors. George W. Bush had a DUI in his younger years and become POTUS.

If Obama was caught doing drugs today or if Bush was caught driving under the influence while he was in office, there would be at least as much raking over the coals as there has been for Phelps.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    I just had to note the hypocritical double standard by which mankind rewards and penalizes for the same actions.
    Obama wasn't rewarded for his drug use... he won the election despite it, not because of it.
    --

Lesson - Smoke weed and you'll be removed as a spokesperson, but you can become the President?

Kellogg's has every right to remove their sponsorship - it's their money and their image, but you notice that Subway didn't recant ... I guess Potheads don't eat breakfast, but do scarf down cheap foot longs.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I would have seen a double-standard had there been no repercussion. He shouldn't be entitled to some of the endorsement deals - they would be rewarding bad behavior.

To me, running for office is different from being paid to endorse products. One is the vote/forgiveness of the general public, the other is a business arrangement where you're being paid for your image.

Sure, it's just a dumb frat-boy mistake.. but a costly one.

No different than Kate Moss losing most of her modeling gigs a few years back - while all was forgiven over time, there had to be quick & immediate action, no special treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Lesson - Smoke weed and you'll be removed as a spokesperson, but you can become the President?

Kellogg's has every right to remove their sponsorship - it's their money and their image, but you notice that Subway didn't recant ... I guess Potheads don't eat breakfast, but do scarf down cheap foot longs.
    LMAO Haiko!! Gut laughing as I write this. Thanks for the chuckle. Subway knows a good thing when they see it. As for Kellogg's, I'd think they could be a bit more concerned about the damaging sugar content in their kid food selections, but sugar is still legal (pending house hearings!)

GHoti - your points are right on, hence the pitiful nature of it.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Hypocrisy is all-encompassing in everything to do with drug issues.

[Before I go on, let me say that I personally take no drugs whatsoever, not even antihistamines or over-the-counter pain killers, but do consume alcohol.]

It is hypocritical that alcohol is legal, taxed, and accepted by society while recreational drugs are not, in particular when you consider the aspects of societal benefits of each category.

Not a week or two goes by without another study being released verifying the medical benefits of alcohol, such as this one released a couple of weeks ago, while certain powerful groups have made it virtually impossible to conduct similar scientific studies of the medical benefits of marijuana.

California and other states have passed progressive legislation protecting the medical use of marijuana, but the Federal government continues to raid pot clinics and arrest proprietors and others, in California.

Perhaps the single most perfect food in the world, high in protein and polyunsaturated essential fatty acids and low in saturated fat, is the hemp seed, that could easily be grown and become a cheap and widespread source of food for much of the world, but the cultivation of hemp is similarly restricted, due to its relation to marijuana.

And then there are people like Rush Limbaugh, who make a career out of ridiculing people for actions and lifestyles he says are improper, yet he himself was shown to be a drug addict.

Yes, hypocrisy is all-encompassing in everything to do with drug issues.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I don't see the hypocrisy in this case.

mankind rewards and penalizes for the same actions
    'mankind' didn't penalize him, kellogs & swim assoc. did.

Different categories of people are judged differently, sad but true.
    Entertainers,
    Pro Athletes
    Employees of businesses, spokespersons
    Politicians...

Even among entertainers, a rapper might be judged on past actions differently than a christian singer or teenybopper idol, for example

Spokespeople need to appeal to the vast majority. Politicians all lie, better ones are good at keeping a low profile.

Get over it, already.

I think it boils down more to embarrassment. Just a few months ago, the media and public went overboard for the swimmer Michael Phelps. They took a good swimmer and tried to turn him into "Neptune, God of the Water". They rode his popularity to make money and now that he isn't living up to the "god" status they gave him, they want to runaway. Michael Phelps just wanted to be the best swimmer he could be, but the media wanted a 'coverboy' and the public wanted a 'hero'. Michael Phelps is only human. He never said otherwise. However, the media and public did. Now, they feel like Michael Phelps let them down. So, they're embarrassed and rather than admit it, they take it out on Phelps.

I don't get the generalized statements about "mankind" and "the public" persecuting Phelps. Anyone I've talked to could care less.

Now "the media" is a different story, they are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I don't see the hypocrisy in this case.
    'mankind' didn't penalize him, kellogs & swim assoc. did.
    Different categories of people are judged differently, sad but true.
    Entertainers,
    Pro Athletes
    Employees of businesses, spokespersons
    Politicians...

Even among entertainers, a rapper might be judged on past actions differently than a christian singer or teenybopper idol, for example

Spokespeople need to appeal to the vast majority. Politicians all lie, better ones are good at keeping a low profile.
    Sim, You make the point (re: the hypocrisy of it all) very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch
    I think it boils down more to embarrassment. Just a few months ago, the media and public went overboard for the swimmer Michael Phelps. They took a good swimmer and tried to turn him into "Neptune, God of the Water". They rode his popularity to make money and now that he isn't living up to the "god" status they gave him, they want to runaway. Michael Phelps just wanted to be the best swimmer he could be, but the media wanted a 'coverboy' and the public wanted a 'hero'. Michael Phelps is only human. He never said otherwise. However, the media and public did. Now, they feel like Michael Phelps let them down. So, they're embarrassed and rather than admit it, they take it out on Phelps.
    Well said Snow. This is a big part of the hypocrisy / double standard.

His contract was up at the end of February anyway, it is just Kellogg trying to get some media attention
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I don't see how this is hypocrisy, but instead a difference in opinion. Large corporations tend to be extremely conservative and prefer conformity. You know business suits, meetings, policy, and procedure, etc.
    Politics has more to do with personal marketing, social skills, and the law. In any case do you really think it is fair to hold experimentation against someone many years later. I'd think you'd run out politicians very quickly!

" a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not ; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion - Webster Online" so who is pretending to have different beliefs or pretending to be what he or she isn't ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    but a swimmer takes one hit on the bong and he is dragged over the coals? As John Stoessel would say: "gimme a break!"
    So where do you draw the line - 10 hits? would that be per day or spread over X period? "give ME a break!"

There is no hypocrisy - there are rules (law and I'm sure his contract as well) and he broke them. Acting on them is called enforcement, irrelevant of people's agreement or others getting away with it in the past. None of that diminishes of what is right or wrong - the middle ground isn't hypocrisy, it's non enforcement or worse --- acceptance / apathy.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    There is no hypocrisy - there are rules (law and I'm sure his contract as well) and he broke them. Acting on them is called enforcement, irrelevant of people's agreement or others getting away with it in the past. None of that diminishes of what is right or wrong - the middle ground isn't hypocrisy, it's non enforcement or worse --- acceptance / apathy.
    Could be used on a few other threads on ABW...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Yes, indeed.

But the stuff continues so what's the *bleeping* purpose?
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound

It is hypocritical that alcohol is legal, taxed, and accepted by society while recreational drugs are not, in particular when you consider the aspects of societal benefits of each category.

Not a week or two goes by without another study being released verifying the medical benefits of alcohol, such as this one released a couple of weeks ago, while certain powerful groups have made it virtually impossible to conduct similar scientific studies of the medical benefits of marijuana.

California and other states have passed progressive legislation protecting the medical use of marijuana, but the Federal government continues to raid pot clinics and arrest proprietors and others, in California.

Perhaps the single most perfect food in the world, high in protein and polyunsaturated essential fatty acids and low in saturated fat, is the hemp seed, that could easily be grown and become a cheap and widespread source of food for much of the world, but the cultivation of hemp is similarly restricted, due to its relation to marijuana.
    Well said AH!

It amazes me that alcohol is legal, seeing as how it is way more deadly than pot or cigarettes.

Many more people are killed by second hand alcohol (drunk drivers, abusive spouses, parents) than cigarettes or pot, yet the persecution of smokers is an outright witch hunt.

Hemp is an amazing plant, for many purposes other than smoking yet it is illegal to grow. Stupid - it's cheap and as natural as cotton but God forbid ...

Kellogs has the right to fire Phelps - meanwhile, I'd bet more people support Subway because they didn't fire him.

And yes, hypocrisy is ugly and rears its head in the righteous, screaming do gooder crowds, while these same people are the nastiest, meanest human beings on the planet. They should smoke a bowl and chill out already. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

LOL Rex. Though the only "bowl" I've ever used is a cereal bowl, I hear ya. We are an amusing society of blamers and righteous philosophers though.

There is no hypocrisy - there are rules.
    And IMO, therein lies the hypocrisy. But no biggie, in the grand scheme........

How so Alan? Rule breakers should be rewarded?

Or it is "pass the dutchie" and 'down' with the "man"?

Grand scheme wise -- your right! What does it matter? People shouldn't give a shoot about doing rules or trying to do right because ... obviously it's not worth it!

What does it matter anymore? Now, that is a good philosphy!
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Of course rules should apply H. That is the whole / simple point. They should apply to all in equal measure, as should the consequences. I posted an observation about the inconsistency in how the rules and repercussions to breaking them are applied, nothing more, so I'll leave it at that. But I DID enjoy your Subway analogy!!

Just to play a little devil's advocate about what "rules" are and when they should be challenged:

If Kelloggs Dumps Phelps, We Dump Kelloggs: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-..._b_164702.html

One Cop to Another: Don't Arrest Phelps: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/norm-s..._b_164346.html
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Kellogg's was founded ... by Will Keith Kellogg as an outgrowth of his work with his brother John Harvey Kellogg at the Battle Creek Sanitarium following practices based on the Seventh-day Adventist Christian denomination. Source
    Facts:
    1. Kelloggs is a company based on an ethical base under the auspoices of an enthusiasm for health and wellness among the general population.
    2. In the early days Kellogg broke many of the common rules and norms for nutrition and even explored various alternate avenues, including diet reform, frequent enemas and vegetarianism.
    3. Since the early days at the sanitarium, Kelloggs has always had a proactive stance with food, values and core beliefs, this has never changed--- from their current corp responsibility report :
    More and more, consumers also trust companies like ours to care about the things they care about. Beyond the product itself, this includes a wide range of social and environmental concerns that arise in our value chain, such as the impacts of agriculture and food processing on climate change, water availability and energy use, as well as food safety. Consumers are also increasingly concerned about global issues like malnutrition, obesity, public health and access to clean water and nutritious foods. To live up to our brand promise, we must confront and address a growing range of issues with humility and creativity.
    3. Michael Phelps sold himself to them as a spokesperson for mutally beneficial reasons and compensation based on a previously agreed upon set of rules and terms.
    3. Kelloggs paid him (it's their money not yours, once it is yours maybe you'll have a diff stance).
    4. Phelps broke his written contract and lied, yes he apologized, but he lied and it's their right to act and you can have an opinion of it, but once again it's not your money.
    5. If he had a bowl of Post instead of pot would it have a difference?

YES, it would!

Why? Because then the masses who should be seeking clarity through acts from BOTH sources, wouldn't jump on the bandwagon of disestablishment and shit stirring, because of some claim of "intolerance" or "hypocrasy".

Remember - Harold and Kumar went to White Castle, there are OBVIOUS reasons why they aren't on the Müeslix box. But, I'm sure I can find someone who knows photoshop to make it LOOK like they are on the box --- But that's another issue altogether!
    Continued Success,

Haiko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast