ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down Indy Keeps Changing Link Code Stopping Commissions
    I have this merchant that I make a number of sales for each day but a month ago I noticed sales stopped for 4-5 days so I checked and found the link code had been altered. I wrote to them and complained and they brushed it off as it not affecting anything and sales had resumed anyway since I updated the code.

Now I have also noticed sales have suddenly stopped again for nearly 3 days so I checked the code and sure enough it has now changed back to the previous code so I updated my code again. I wrote to them and asked "Is there a reason why the links keep changing and would it be possible to get notification on the change as it is obviously not tacking sales each time it changes.".

I do quite well with them and I can't really replace their links with a different merchant for various reasons so I hope we can work this out but it is disappointing when they do this sort of thing.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    thanks a lot for all the replies, feedback and support folks!
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Ugh! Have they replied to your last email? I'd be very concerned that it recurred, I'd keep an extremely close eye on them. I know you said you do well with them and can't replace them but it might be a good idea to plan for that. If the link changing is intentional to avoid commissions that's not a good sign. If they're changing as part of a test they really need better a better plan.

Let us know what/if they reply. I'd be very interested.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Melanie,
    thanks for the reply. I did hear back from them yesterday :

We havent ever changed the way the links work.

As long as it has (code example) at the end of the link then it will work.

thanks
    The link code was definitely changed, I even took a pdf print so if it happens again I will show them the proof.

In the mean time commissions have resumed and I never bothered to reply back.

I doubt they have much knowledge of affiliate programs as I once asked for a coupon code and they didn't understand what it was.

I can't replace them as I have no1 position in a certain search term that only applies to their products.

It's a tricky situation as I don't want to annoy them so they just tell me to go away and I don't like to be ripped off but this is what you have to deal with when dealing with Independents as there is no network to help you.

Cool
    all you can do in this case is keep walking the tightrope, but document everything in case of a showdown.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread