The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Marketing and meeeting interesting people
    As those who know because I had posted it on the site review page, I have been building a prom dress site.

Anyway, I heard that the President wanted in the stimulus package a phrase that says if a business takes any money from this package they must buy from American businesses. This seemed like a good idea to me, but that is besides the point.

Anyway since the President is on a buy American kick, I decided to find out which of the designers in my prom site actually manufacture the clothes in the U.S. So I went throught my list of 300+ designers, found their websites, found an email contact and asked the simple question "Which country do you manufacture your fashions?" Several people got back to me, I'm sure I'll get the bulk of my answers on Monday. But what I found so interesting was that many of the people who got back to me was the designers themselves.

I expected to hear just from their staff, but it is cool that some people with multi-million dollar businesses answer their own email :-) Now if I can just nuture these relationships :-) I thought it was cool, its sort of like emailing the Yankees about a seat location and having George Steinbrenner answer your email personally.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Yeap, that is nice that they do that. Definitely good business sense, cos they impressed you Think it makes a whole lotta sense for them to do that, cos I'm the same way you are. I've contacted quite a few myself and has always impressed me when the actual merchant takes the time to reply back.

Not sure if it might have somethin to do with the type of business it is or not? Have contacted others and just get a customer service representative give a very blah, blah type of reply back, so not really sure why some take the time and give a very nice reply and others just don't bother. Hmmm was gonna say maybe it has to do with how a person sends or asks them somethin but mine have always been the same.

I'm not anything to go impressing anybody lol but if somebody takes the time to write me a personal email....address me by my name, etc. I always will write back to them, too. If just dear webmaster, affiliate, whatever then it depends. (unless it's somebody asking me a question from my web site, then I'll always answer back their question......as long as they're not askin me bout the size of my anatomy that I don't have. lol

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    But I'm not affiliates with these people, I'm affiliate with the vendors that sell their products. It wasn't like I was looking to talk to them, I simply sent an email to the email address I found on their website.

If you were the brains and driving force of a multimillion dollar enterprise wouldn't you have staff to filter/answer your business emails :-)

Although, the staff simply answered my question (which is what I expected) the boss always asked a follow up question of why was I asking in the first place, which let me tell them about my site :-)
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

nice
    You are really an entrepreneur. You got the spirit and the good "vibes". It's no joke to "mingle" with high profile designers, but you tickled their attention and you should get the most out of it. Just be "formal"

Was the "answer you expected" that most of them are having their dresses sewn in other countires? I saw a program once about this issue and it said most designers send their designs overseas for actual production.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    Was the "answer you expected" that most of them are having their dresses sewn in other countires? I saw a program once about this issue and it said most designers send their designs overseas for actual production.
    I'd also expect that to be the answer.

Oranges, ever heard Bill Tancer talk about his obsession with prom dresses in relation to search term queries? Interesting stuff since you're working on a site... seems the teen magazines have been pushing January as the big prom issues to help boost lagging ad revenue, whereas you'd mostly expect prom searching to be around April/May. Fascinating stuff.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread