What are affiliates preferences/demands re: payment method?
    Bill aka Beachy said in the -1ShoppingCart vs others- thread:

"....I saw on your "announcement" post ... that you are paying via PayPal. For that reason, alone, I would not consider promoting your products. I expect to be paid by check or direct deposit. ShareASale does a direct deposit into my business account every month. I do use (and basically trust) PayPal for some things - but not in the course of running my business.

I'm at the beginnings of becoming a merchant.

2 questions as I'm looking at choices for an affiliate network.

1. If it's true that some/most/the best affiliates wouldn't promote a 'paid by Paypal' product because they would incur fees on their payment, does that put ShareASale at the top of the list?

CB (not on list) is out, PDC, (which I'm not really considering), and Click2Sell (which I'm trying to research) don't seem to offer pay by check or direct deposit.

2. Is it true? What is the story around established affiliates and willingness/desires of payment methods? (or please point to appropriate thread with this topic content.)

Thanks

Joshua

ABW Ambassador
    It is true that affiliates will be charged every time they get paid via Paypal. I would not choose Paypal as a payment method if I had a choice. If I didn't have a choice, and Paypal was the only option, then I would not be promoting your program.

What do you sell? Shareasale is a good option, but certainly not the only network that pays by check or directly into a bank account

Maybe I'm just internet search stupid, but I'm having a hard time finding info/recommendations for affiliate networks. (CB, PDC, Click2Sell, Shareasale, CJ, are the only ones I've seen/heard of more than once. Seen complaints about everything except Click2Sell, which I haven't seen/heard anything good or bad)

Click2Sell says 'Click2Sell coordinates sales via five 3rd-party payment processors including PayPal, Moneybookers, WorldPay, Authorize.net, and Google Checkout for merchants to run their affiliate program.'

I'm going with that none of those are by check or direct deposit.(?)

I'm just beginning, but I want to start right. (Staying vague to not cross advertising rules hopefully) I created and now (like, today and tomorrow) have 3 finished and ready dvds, of the 'fix your specific injury' variety. Just about to roll them out on my website, then continue starting into teaming up with affiliates.

I imagine I'll be offering physical product and electronic download, need to look into the pluses/minuses of doing both.

I looking for a network that is safe, fast paying, and as automated as possible for me and the affiliates. Able to handle physical and electronic products, ideally deals with the actual paying of affiliates, and with as many protections, benefits, and time-saving/business efficiency options as possible.

So much information to find and take in! Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    It is true that affiliates will be charged every time they get paid via Paypal. I would not choose Paypal as a payment method if I had a choice. If I didn't have a choice, and Paypal was the only option, then I would not be promoting your program.

What do you sell? Shareasale is a good option, but certainly not the only network that pays by check or directly into a bank account

ABW Ambassador
    visit Shareasale.com and have a look at what they can offer you

I have. Am starting to read through the SAS forum on here and will move SAS specific conversation there.

As Loxly said on there, "You might want to hire a consultant for a couple of hours to get you up to speed on what the differences are between the networks and what your needs and expectations from your affiliate program should be. The network is just one piece of the whole pie. Shareasale is great network with excellent customer service and had good tools for affiliates and merchants."

Thinking I should hire one for an hour or so.

BTW, I meant 'Is it true' that affiliates don't like Paypal, not does Paypal charge. But you basically answered that too.

Thanks.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I always prefer direct deposit first, then by check, prefer NOT to be paid by PayPal.

You can pay affiliates by PayPal without them occurring any fees. It requires you to use the mass pay feature on PayPal. YOU will have to pay a small fee to send the payments to your affiliates. I believe the minimum is $1 per person/company you pay.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Network Rep
    Depends from location of an affiliate.

Ahhh, the plot thickens....

I knew of the existence but didn't know affiliates wouldn't get a fee for getting paid with it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    I always prefer direct deposit first, then by check, prefer NOT to be paid by PayPal.

You can pay affiliates by PayPal without them occurring any fees. It requires you to use the mass pay feature on PayPal. YOU will have to pay a small fee to send the payments to your affiliates. I believe the minimum is $1 per person/company you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    Anyone can answer this....if you the affiliate doesn't like (to be paid by) paypal, is that because of a fee charged?

In the case of mass pay option and you aren't charged a fee, do you still then not want to get paid by paypal?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtck
    Anyone can answer this....if you the affiliate doesn't like (to be paid by) paypal, is that because of a fee charged?

In the case of mass pay option and you aren't charged a fee, do you still then not want to get paid by paypal?
    For me:

1) Direct deposit means I don't have to go to the bank...
    2) Payment by check means I don't have to do a funds transfer from PayPal
    3) Payment by PayPal means I'm not happy because I particularly don't care for them.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Paypal.... I have $3360 in my paypal account that i will never get. I personally hate paypal. Those were my sales when I first started with getting to know affiliate marketing. Went through paydotcom...... had payments made to my paypal account then for some reason paypal wanted to know where who why when so i told them where who why when and poof to date they still haven't unlocked it, i think it is because of my lovely mouth with their horrible customer service. But this is a reason why paypal is hated. not just the fees. they are NOT FDIC insured and are not a bank.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Beachy (and I ) also recommend the BUY.AT network. Small, but growing rapidly, have tremendous resources behind them, and are totally CLEAN. No parasites or Toolbar affiliates are allowed in there.

They also have a forum here at ABW: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=420
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I have no issue with paypal, I can easily put the money from there to my account. As far as fees? SAS charges me $5.50 for DD, so what's the difference?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey
    SAS charges me $5.50 for DD, so what's the difference?
    What are you talking about? SAS didn't charge me for DD. Am I missing something here?

I prefer DD.
    Paypal could be an option(without fees).
    No checks.
    Last edited by mayfly; February 10th, 2009 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    What are you talking about? SAS didn't charge me for DD. Am I missing something here?
    For International (Canada) DD it is $5.50 USF

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey
    For International (Canada) DD it is $5.50 USF
    Ah, that make sense. It's more involved in terms of international money transfer, I think.

I used to work with an indy merchant based in Tailand. Check was a payment option a few years back. Then they changed to wire transfer only. For each transaction, I have to pay $30 for their bank and $10 for my bank.

I have no choice but to drop them last year.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread