Do you use wordpress as a subdomain or a main domain
    Hello All

I was wondering about downloading wordpress and host it myself.

When you run your blog, do you use a subdomain of your site such as "www.mysite.com/mysiteblog" or do you get a dedicated domain for the blog?

Thank you

Al

I do both, depending on what I'm doing with the domain. On the few sites where I have something built without WP, I add WP in a subdomain.

On most of my sites, I actually use WP in the root of the domain, sometimes as a blog, sometimes more as a CMS for putting up merchandise pages.
    Generate more fake news.

I do exactly as WriterGuy says.
    He is one of the W/P masters on ABW.

Download? Yes, I have done that. But a couple of my hosts have CPanel/WHM setups with a one-click install for Wordpress. Check to see if yours does; it makes it really easy.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

This is a good question. I do get myself in trouble when I log in. lol Try to stay logged out cos when I log in I'll see somethin that gets my attention when I just intend to pop in here and out real quick...but will spot somethin and can't help myself from posting. And....gotta get back to work and shouldn't be posting

So...you said: "use WP in the root of the domain"
    Not sure I understand what ya mean (am gettin closer to havin my blog...only taken me a couple years to work myself up to gettin brave enough....but gettin there lol so this question interests me, too )

www. (space left so doesn't end up bein a link ) me.com
    am not sure what it is you're sayin?

are you sayin that it would be me.com/meblog?

Just deleted a big long post cos don't wanna derail this thread with more questions. Guess in relationship to this tho, can the meblog part be any word or does it specifically have to relate to the site? Nope, that's my only question, don't wanna derail anything.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I either have it at the web root or in a subdirectory like in your example. I don't use subdomains like in your question.
    I don't see any reason why I'd want to put a blog on a separate domain.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I either have it at the web root or in a subdirectory like in your example. I don't use subdomains like in your question.
    Yup, that's what I meant to say, about the subdirectory or root domain. I read the question somewhat carelessly. I don't use subdomains either. I either put the WP install in the root or in a subdirectory.

I've really never been able to figure out a good use for subdomains?
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Guess in relationship to this tho, can the meblog part be any word or does it specifically have to relate to the site?
    I think the answer is yes.

You can have your blog url looks like this:

www. me .com/ purplebear blog
    or
    www. me .com/ pinkbear blog

It depends on how you name your folders.

I'm very new to the blog world. Correct me if I'm wrong.

this is a subdomain: subdomain.abestweb.com
    this is a subdirectory: www.abestweb.com/subdirectory
    this is example of dedicated domain for the blog: www. abestwebnewblog .com which is basically just a new domain with a blog hosted in the root.

you can have your blog in either places, like blog.abestweb.com or at abestweb.com/blog

I agree with lostdeviant and writerguy, I would have it in my subdirectory, thus like in the latter example.

I am still debating this one. I have seen it done successfully and thinking about doing this. Maybe your main site is a tight niche and you want your blog to be more of a PR personal touch with your audience and can be any topic at all.

Also maybe flow of link juice/back links? If your blog becomes popular you can get some nice backlinks from your own site. I would host my blog on a different server from my main site though.

Well, this is me thinking out loud...

you can also install wp into a sub-folder but move the index.php to the root to use it as the home page of the site. that keeps your wp code out of the main root folder in case you have other non-wp content you want to keep separate. there's a setting in wp-admin that you need to tweak to make this work. you can find instructions on the interweb somewhere.

superCool is also new to wp, but this is what he's doing for now

Thanks very much guys for explaining it

"or
    www. me .com/ pinkbear blog [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]"

Now, who ever heard of a pink bear?

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Thanks very much guys for explaining it

"or
    www. me .com/ pinkbear blog [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]"

Now, who ever heard of a pink bear?
    Just think of "pink" as "a lighter shade of purple."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

One thing to consider with how you set up your site, if you use WordPress in a subdirectory (or subdomain) and you have your main site in the root directory being managed by some other system/software, if you want both sections of your site to look the same you are going to need to update both locations each time you want to make a change.

To avoid the double-updates, install WordPress in the root directory of your domain. Create a page called "welcome" and a page called "blog" (or something similar). Then, in the WordPress admin area, click 'Settings' then click 'Reading'. Where it says "Front Page Displays" choose "A Static Page" and then select your "welcome" page as the front page and your "blog" page as the post page.

If you want to take it a step further (and you should), go to the permalinks section in the settings area and choose the "custom Structure" option and use something like /%postname%.

Quote Originally Posted by EricTyler
    One thing to consider with how you set up your site, if you use WordPress in a subdirectory (or subdomain) and you have your main site in the root directory being managed by some other system/software, if you want both sections of your site to look the same you are going to need to update both locations each time you want to make a change.

To avoid the double-updates, install WordPress in the root directory of your domain. Create a page called "welcome" and a page called "blog" (or something similar). Then, in the WordPress admin area, click 'Settings' then click 'Reading'. Where it says "Front Page Displays" choose "A Static Page" and then select your "welcome" page as the front page and your "blog" page as the post page.

If you want to take it a step further (and you should), go to the permalinks section in the settings area and choose the "custom Structure" option and use something like /%postname%.
    This option for setting up a static front page and a different page to send blog posts to is relatively new (version 2.3.1, I think), and one of the most useful feature on several of my sites. It REALLY is useful if you're using WP more as a CMS than a blog.
    Generate more fake news.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    This option for setting up a static front page and a different page to send blog posts to is relatively new (version 2.3.1, I think), and one of the most useful feature on several of my sites. It REALLY is useful if you're using WP more as a CMS than a blog.
    I've found a customized home.php file to be very useful.

"Just think of "pink" as "a lighter shade of purple." [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]"

yeap, that is true...just a little tinkering with blue

thanks for all the input.

You all cleared up a lot for me.

Can you folks recommend some webhosts that support wordpress.

Thank You

Al

I think most any webhost will support WP. I use downtownhost.com and love it. Gives me more access to things like fopen, etc. than the "big guys". I do things with tomyinbox.com and the CJ secure api that I couldn't seem to be able to do anywhere else I tried.

Oh, and I also use WP in both places depending on the site and what I'm using WP for, as a blogging tool or as a CMS. I've built a couple of sites recently on it, like http://www.findamug.com

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread