Thumbs down Magazine City - anyone deal with them?
    Back in October 2008 I purchased a subscription to a magazine - JAZZIZ for myself through Magazine City on Commission Junction. I got confirmation and my credit card was charged. I have yet to receive the subscription so I sent an e-mail to Magazine City asking them to check on it and have yet to get a response. Today I called their customer service line which went into a voice mail message to call between 9 and 5 pm eastern time and just disconnects you. I then called JAZZIZ and they have no record of receiving my subscription from Magazine City.

They are still active on CJ. Anyone ever order from them or have a problem with them?
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

I promote these guys and have made sales but I just did a search and found this:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...om-c28360.html

It looks like the company will pay our commission but won't deliver the products to the consumer. I counted 10 complaints of non deliver to consumers. Who will the consumer remember if Magazine City doesn't deliver the magazines and the consumer got there from your site?

Jazziz is trying to contact Magazine City direct for me. I hope they have better luck.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Angry
    I did a little more research on MagazineCity with the BBB.

http://richmond.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Repo...&firm=37016799

They have over 450 complaints of non delivery and an F rating with the BBB!
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    It looks like the company will pay our commission but won't deliver the products to the consumer. I counted 10 complaints of non deliver to consumers. Who will the consumer remember if Magazine City doesn't deliver the magazines and the consumer got there from your site?

Jazziz is trying to contact Magazine City direct for me. I hope they have better luck.
    This seems to happen a lot with magazine sites, and some complaints even exist with Magazines.com.

The latest - My contact at Jazziz has tried contacting Magazine City for two days with no luck. They are going to send me the latest issue of the magazine and continue to try and contact Magazine City. If anyone from Magazine City reads this please contact April at 1-888-834-3023 x7721.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

We have never received a response from MagazineCity and have filed a complaint with the BBB and our credit card company.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    4 more complaints at http://ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?q5=magazinecity&Search=Search&q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search!

I would not promote them, regardless of how well or how much they pay in commissions.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

My wife ordered a magazine through Magazine City via my site. It took us over six months to resolve this issue and finally begin the magazine subscription. In settlement for the delay, Magazine City also gave her a free subscription to another magazine of her choice. She is now receiving both magazines. Their customer service has become very poor. When I first began promoting them, it seemed ok. Now, I am considering dropping them.

Gene
    TCS

I'll add to the list of woes. We bought our grand-son a $35 magazine subscription back in August of 2008 and he is yet to receive it. My wife started checking last Friday and did get someone at MC by hitting zero on the phone to break the recorded routine.

They said to check back on Monday as it was to late that day to do much. We will see, but now I feel that the money will be lost.

I stopped promoting them months ago.

John,

Do not give up. Keep after them daily until you either get the magazine or a refund. When you are able to make contact, ask to speak with the director of customer service. Do not rely on them to call you back if they say they will. You have to keep the pressure on them by calling relentlessly. The first person to whom I spoke was named Allison. You must go past her. Do not let them tell you that they will check into it an will call you back, for they won't. They will try to tell you that the process has to go through a third party. The director of customer service can make direct contact with the publisher to get the magazine started. I don't remember her name now. I did threaten to file a complaint with my credit card for refund. This seemed to expidite things.

Gene
    TCS

Thanks for the info Gene. I passed it on to my wife who is working the problem.

Refund Given
    Quote Originally Posted by thecool
    I did threaten to file a complaint with my credit card for refund. This seemed to expidite things.
    We tried everything advised here with no luck. We got action yesterday with an email to newsstand(at)magazinecity.com It said:
    Hello,
    I have attempted to get refund by phone and am giving up. I am on hold
    with the Virginia Attorney General as I type.
    Thanks,
    John Powell
    A reply came back in 3 hours wanting more information so they could check into it. I sent the order information and today I got a phone call and was told my visa is being credited. That will take 5-7 days to confirm, but I feel that it will happen.

MagazineCity is just cog in a big magazine machine. They are part of City Circulation Group. They have several duplicate websites listed on the lower left. The lady today said that there records showed that I actually bought from Magazania which claims to have a CJ program. CJ doesn't have Magazania now that I can find. My visa charge was to MagazineCity though.

Contact your state's Consumer's Protection Agency as well as your state's Attorney General Office.

Let them both work on your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Contact your state's Consumer's Protection Agency as well as your state's Attorney General Office.

Let them both work on your problem.

The latest saga in dealing with Magazine City. I filed a complaint with the Richmond, VA BBB. They contacted Magazine City and received a response from a Devon Lyon of MagazineCity who stated that they contacted Jazziz and my order was overlooked and the magazine would start in 4-6 weeks. I contacted Jazziz and they still did not have anything from MagazineCity. I faxed over to Jazziz all my receipts and confirmation letters from MagazineCity. I informed the BBB that Jazziz still says they did not have my order from MagazineCity.

This morning I received an e-mail from the BBB saying they were closing my complaint as "MagazineCity.net LLC has addressed the disputed issues."

What a scam! I will take Burger Boy's suggestion and fire off letters to Louisiana's and Virginia's Attorney General's Office.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

What a scam! I will take Burger Boy's suggestion and fire off letters to Louisiana's and Virginia's Attorney General's Office.
    Try the email address I gave above with a threat to file complaint with the VA Attorney General. Demand nothing less than a refund. I got my VISA credit a couple of days ago.

John,

A fellow ABWer provided me with the e-mail address of the CEO of MagazineCity and I had an e-mail of another person at MC who was a "Compliance Officer" that I have e-mailed. I also have the e-mail of the Editor of Jazziz whom I have e-mailed. I told them either give me a refund or proof from Jazziz that they will start my subscription or the Attorney Generals in Louisiana and Virginia will be hearing from me.

I told MC that they are not going to get rid of me that easy!
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

The saga with MagazineCity comes to an end - maybe!!??. Friday I sent out several e-mails to MagazineCity indicating that I was going to contact the Attorney Generals in Louisiana and Virginia. I blind cc'd Jazziz Magazine. Over the weekend I received several e-mails from Jazziz Magazine indicating they still had no record of MagazineCity ever sending over my subscription. This morning I received an e-mail from Jazziz saying they were going to start my subscription even though they have no record of MagazineCity paying for it.

Should I still write to the Attorney Generals even though I am receiving my subscription. From the response of this board and over 400 complaints with the BBB in Virginia, something should be done about MagazineCity.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

I would write them and tell them MagazineCity appears to be running a scam on the internet.

They take people's money for magazine subscriptions and then do not send it on to the magazine you subscribed for and you never get the magazine and they do not respond to you when you try to contact them about it.

I would also send them a link to this:

http://richmond.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Repo...&firm=37016799

If you guys had any experience with magazine agents, you'd know that these problems do happen from time to time, even with reputable agents such as Magazines.com. Glitches can and do happen along the way in the magazine world, between the agent, the fulfillment house, and the magazine. I'm not sure what's taking so long with MagazineCity's refund, but they might have to go through some sort of process to confirm the subscription wasn't set up. My best recommendation would be to order magazine subscriptions direct from the publishers, as it's probably not worth the potential hassle over a few dollars.

Joshua, a quick read of this thread makes it clear that this is not merely a few problems typical to the reselling of magazine subscriptions. This particular company appears to simply ignore most complaints.

Yes, there are many "bad companies" (dishonest and/or incompetent) in this particular industry (magazine subscription resellers), but this isn't necessarily a reason to bypass and buy all subscriptions at higher rates directly from the publishers.

The publishers themselves have their own lapses, as I've recently learned when several magazines announced unilaterally that they were "auto-renewing" our subscriptions, even though we had ignored earlier renewal solicitations and we didn't want to continue paying for the magazines.

While I don't think consumers should bypass all magazine agents, there is certainly a very strong argument that web publishers should consider skipping any magazine-agent affiliate programs, because of the "high problem rate" common in this industry.

As to the question of whether a complaint about this company should be lodged with a state Attorney General (or law-enforcement), here's my opinion: You should never threaten to initiate a complaint like this, and absolutely never state that you will file a complaint "unless" a particular action is taken (you're really just trying to extort a favorable response, and extortion is a crime itself!).

Just submit the complaint.
    Last edited by markwelch; March 16th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.

Hmmmm,
    I was just about to launch a programme promoting magazines ;(
    Does it sell on the internet?

Question
    MagazineCity is not active at CJ now

do you know more details ?

They go offline alot I pulled them more then a year ago.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread