Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    15 years and counting
    Interspire - Problem Solved
    I started working with them end of January. Made a few sales and noticed they were all extended to April. I checked the agreement, well no agreement just a description of what they are selling. Software.
    How can a merchant extend sales for 60 days if it's not part of an agreement?

But, it's not the worse.
    Today, I had 3 sales reversed:

Amount $495.00 Com: $74.25 Date: 02/09/2009 12:10:07 PM Reversed on 02/12/2009
    Amount $295.00 Com: $44.25 Date: 02/08/2009 12:55:06 AM Reversed on 02/12/2009
    Amount $674.10 Com: $101.12 Date: 02/04/2009 10:24:33 AM Reversed on 02/12/2009
    Commissions voided: $219.62 Reason Others

Why a merchant has to reverse sales for reason "others" if their sales are already extended 60 days? I contacted the merchant and the reason he gave me is unbelievable.
    He said he reversed the sales because "they no longer pay commissions on traffic from coupon sites" How do I know it?

First, the sales are coming from a blog. I had no coupon listed for Interspire because they have none. And, yes, I have coupons listed for merchants that offer them. Does it make my blog a coupon site? Any site is a coupon site if you have a coupon listed? What's that crap?
    If they don't want to work with coupon sites, or with my sites, fine. I've no problem with that. Just say it, at least.

But, why did they accept my sites?
    There's no mention of this restriction in Shareasale, nothing in the agreement.
    I sent them my traffic, they got the sales. THEY HAVE to pay me.
    So, it's an other violation done by a merchant. Where's Shareasale compliance team?
    Is Shareasale going to deactivate this crooked merchant stealing our traffic and commissions?

Just look at their trend. Something is not Kosher.
    http://www.shareasale.com/a-epctrend...erchantID=4623
    You may have to be logged in to see the trend but the 30 day EPC is dropping from $300 to $0 in the last 2 months.

What do you think of this new trick to don't pay affiliates? Don't write anything in your agreement and do what you want with your affiliates commissions.

Ouch am very sorry Zeus and hope you end up gettin paid somehow. I try to skim thru the aggrements cos they're sooooo long and don't understand half of the lawyerly talk but am gonna have to start reading word for word it seems.

Can't speak for this merchant cos never heard of em. Think there's only one merchant I've had tho that doesn't consider me a "coupons site" when it comes to similar coupon policy. They consider me a hybrid (combination content and coupons) Knowing from your posts altho I don't know your blog or site would assume it's along the line of mine (in as far as having a lotta content and not just coupons) so you shouldn't be considered a "coupons site"

Definitely wrong what they've done to you
    It really sucks that these coupon policies I think only started on account of you know who and others. Cos of their bad and least in my opinion unethical behavior, they're makin the rest of us pay the price for it.

And.......don't that person who always chimes in refer to me as a whiner either or I'll bop ya upside the head Not really, wouldn't hurt anybody but you're testing my patience with those remarks.

15 years and counting
    I don't mind the money. If I had a choice, I would like them to be DEACTIVATED by Shareasale.
    If they pay me, they will start an other trick to don't pay their affiliates.

I'm really mad to see this kind of stuff in a network. Give me one reason why you need an agreement if merchants or affiliates don't respect them and the network does nothing to keep them in compliance.

I don't run coupon sites just listing coupons. I've content sites or blogs and I list a coupon if the merchant has one.

Thanks for your concern, Purplebear.

30 day reversal rate of 63.64%. Another example of either a merchant that thinks it's "their program" and they can do whatever they want or another merchant that's just looking for an excuse not to pay their affiliates. Either way, they are wrong and hopefully SaS will get involved to help rectify the situation.

Good luck.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

15 years and counting
    I've other sales from them in Shareasale, I'm pretty sure Interspire is going to see them and reverse them for the same reason if they are coherent.
    In cases like that I appreciate to don't be a PPC affiliate. Imagine paying Google or others and seeing all your sales reversed for a fake reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I don't run coupon sites just listing coupons. I've content sites or blogs and I list a coupon if the merchant has one.
    In the past year I've started listing more coupons for merchants that I promote as a defense against my visitors leaving the merchants site to search for a coupon. I think many others have done the same thing.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

This is confusing.

Perhaps each merchant should delineate the qualities/elements/qualifications desired in the affiliate websites in terms of being accepted or not right at the beginning?

As an example, none of my sites only list coupons.
    My sites are content sites & blogs but sometimes I'll list a few coupons at the side of a webpage or in a certain section/corner/area.
    Does that make my sites coupon sites? What is wrong with that type of combination? What did the merchant expect instead?

A merchant shouldn't drop an affiliate without paying commissions after the affiliate has been accepted into the program, and after the affiliate makes the commissions legitimately.
    If there is a problem, the merchant should be precise in terms of the accusations/explanations.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

15 years and counting
    With "Retail Me Not" tricky left automatic click to set a cookie or other coupon sites doing the same I had no other choice to keep my visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    ...I've started listing more coupons for merchants that I promote as a defense against my visitors leaving the merchants site to search for a coupon.
    That would be an example of what I would do.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    As an example, none of my sites only list coupons.
    My sites are content sites & blogs but sometimes I'll list a few coupons at the side of a webpage or in a certain section/corner/area.
    Does that make my sites coupon sites? What is wrong with that type of combination? What did the merchant expect instead?

A merchant shouldn't drop an affiliate without paying commissions after the affiliate has been accepted into the program, and after the affiliate makes the commissions legitimately.
    If there is a problem, the merchant should be precise in terms of the accusations/explanations.
    According to this merchant, Interspire, you're a coupon site. But, who knows really?

It's the responsability of a merchant to accept you or not. If you're in the program, they should pay you and deactivate you AFTER if they don't like your site.

Why different treatments between affiliates. FatWallet can violate Shareasale TOS and get their commissions paid and others could have their commissions voided on the spot for no reason. Is it fair? What's that policy?

ABW Ambassador
    This is another merchant that needs the boot, old story.

"He said he reversed the sales because "they no longer pay commissions on traffic from coupon sites" How do I know it?"

I just checked the agreement, nothing in it whatsoever about coupon sites. And like you said, you don't even have coupons up for them. So you should get that money.

It is a problem that needs to get fixed. There have been recent examples where I feel it's like a wild, wild west in terms of merchant agreements.

Where a merchant can change something like commission rates from 30% down to 1% without telling affiliates, no notification. It is something they said they will implement, that's good. But it's something that should have always been there.

Where a merchant can put in the agreement that they won't pay on sales if the referring url is "," which is ridiculous. I see that sometimes and any affiliate that's been with SAS for awhile will see that from time to time. That's out of my hands but if I get a sale, I should get paid. That's just the general agreement in affiliate marketing.

There was that one thread where a merchant had that they won't pay commissions if you happen to rank on page 1 for them. He wrote it out wrong, didn't understand the terminology but it seemed that language is ok if a merchant wanted to have it in there.

I'm all for a free market but not a free for all. We have a free market in this country, we also have regulations in place to protect the consumer.

So this is something that needs to be fixed, where merchant can't do this with agreements.

15 years and counting
    That's pretty sad to see that. What is this merchant expecting?
    In two months their EPC went from $300 to near $0. It's not going to last for ever.
    As long as they're able to reverse the sales, they're making some money. Affiliates are not going to promote them without making any money. It's a dead end.

We'll see what Shareasale is going to do. I did open a ticket, too.

15 years and counting
    A new reversal coming in
    Amount $495 Com:$74.25 Date: 01/29/2009 10:44:41 AM Reversed on 02/12/2009
    For a total of $293.87 in one day.

Even after I told Interspire they should not do that.

15 years and counting
    The latest from this crooked merchant, Interspire:
    He's telling me that what he's doing is covered by Shareasale agreement:

Please review your Shareasale agreement found here:

http://www.shareasale.com/agreement.cfm

In particular:

You will receive a Commission for sending a Merchant authorized sales, leads, and/or clicks via Your Links. In order to place Links, You must first be approved by a Merchant to become an Affiliate of that Merchant's program. You understand that the Payout amount may be changed at any time. This information is also available to You at the shareasale.com Member's Area. You are responsible for determining if the Payout for a Link You have placed on Your site has changed or been discontinued.
    The bolded part is his emphasis. But for him it means if I'm not paid it's normal. So the guy decide to don't pay any "coupon sites" anymore, don't change his agreement, don't tell anybody but it's my fault according to the Shareasale agreement.

I'll like to hear what Brian is thinking of this one.

I don't understand the problem they are having with coupons. If they themselves don't offer coupons, why don't they like coupon sites.

I see that they don't auto approve, so they must've looked at your site before approving, so why didn't they mention the "coupon excuse" then.

It is a shame Zeus, I would be boiling too. I am curious what SAS will say.

Also, maybe a new website is in order InspireSucks.com or InspireCrooks.com

You will receive a Commission for sending a Merchant authorized sales, leads, and/or clicks via Your Links. In order to place Links, You must first be approved by a Merchant to become an Affiliate of that Merchantís program. You understand that the Payout amount may be changed at any time. This information is also available to You at the shareasale.com Memberís Area. You are responsible for determining if the Payout for a Link You have placed on Your site has changed or been discontinued.
    I would ask the merchant to point out just where in the shareasale.com Memberís Area that information was made available to you. Using his own crooked logic You were supposed to have been able to determine that information clairvoyantly, maybe?

The latest from this crooked merchant, Interspire:
    He's telling me that what he's doing is covered by Shareasale agreement:

The bolded part is his emphasis. But for him it means if I'm not paid it's normal. So the guy decide to don't pay any "coupon sites" anymore, don't change his agreement, don't tell anybody but it's my fault according to the Shareasale agreement.

I'll like to hear what Brian is thinking of this one.
    Maybe he only permits toolbar affiliates

15 years and counting
    I had more discussions with Interspire Affiliate Manager. The guy doesn't understand what is Affiliate Marketing. He got this position because his boss was too cheap to use an OPM or to train him.

He's blaming me now for using the name of his software in my post. What an idiot! How do you want to promote his product without using a description? I'm not even using a datafeed, just a tiny except of his own product description provided to his affiliates in Shareasale "Merchant provided description"
    This guy is paranoid.

ladidah - I see that they don't auto approve, so they must've looked at your site before approving, so why didn't they mention the "coupon excuse" then.
    Here's his answer
    "The program is not set to auto-approve since last summer so its not possible that you were approved just a few weeks ago as you claim."
    Anyway, to get links, I've to be approved. Before adding links I check the "Agreement" and the different figures given by Shareasale, EPC, last sales, uptime...
    I know my first links were added on January 2009. Is there a way to check the date of approval by a merchant? Anyway, even a " coupon site" can be a Sharesale affiliate and an Interspire affiliate. There's no restriction in their agreement.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Zeus,

This has nothing to do with any other affiliate - this is about you and the merchant.

We will attempt to resolve the issue between you and this merchant just as we have any past issue.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

15 years and counting
    It has nothing to do with ME and the Merchant.
    He has to do with a merchant not respecting YOUR agreement and not using HIS own agreement to restrict affiliate activities.
    He has to do with a Merchant doing what he wants in YOUR network and not paying his affiliates. It has to do with compliance.

It has nothing to do, with Me in particular. All affiliates can have the same problem.
    If it was a problem between Me and the Merchant, I would have been taking care of it myself. I do it with other merchants. I don't post it on a message board if the merchant just make a mistake.

ABW Ambassador
    "This has nothing to do with any other affiliate - this is about you and the merchant."

Have to disagree. Other affiliates might have this merchant up or were thinking about promoting them. This is part of the reason why we have this forum, to out this kind of stuff. I'm glad when people do.

15 years and counting
    Brian, do you know these people have their OWN affiliate program competing with yours?
    Check it at: http://www.interspire.com/affiliates/
    The link to the sign in page is not going to Shareasale.

What's interesting is that they don't restrict "coupons" in their FAQ or Affiliate information. They have "commissions are credited to your account 60 days from the purchase date" I can't find that in your or their agreement in Shareasale.
    Check by yourself: http://www.interspire.com/affiliates/affiliate_faq.php

Don't you wonder why they are doing that with Shareasale? Are they trying to push your affiliates to go direct with them?

Also, read that: Bold added by me
    "We provide example link types, banner ads, button images, text links, e-mail copy, testimonials, suggestions on how to best sell our services, links to top-performing affiliates for examples, an affiliate newsletter, links to affiliate resources on the web, articles you can use on your site, and more."

Do they really know something re: Affiliate Marketing?

Interspire WTF? You are DUMPED!
    Just checked and found this WTF? 0% Commission!!!!

Group Commission Level: Per Sale 0.00%

Webmaster Tools

Interspire
    www.interspire.com

Get Links
    View Program Description
    Read Affiliate Agreement

Group Commission Level: Per Sale 0.00%

Yes

15 years and counting
    Did you receive a termination email?
    It seems a new affiliate manager came onboard last summer and changed the way their program is run.
    Switching somebody to 0% Commission is like stealing their traffic (and their commission)
    If you're in a "group commission level" it means they did that to a bunch of people at the same time.
    And, Brian would like us to keep that private!!!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Thanks Zeus for posting. What they did to you (and probably many others) is wrong.

I can see the objection to coupon sites if a site is promoting a non-existent coupon and thus capturing traffic in a fraudulent manner, but that is not what is going on here. It unreasonable to prohibit affiliates from legitimately making use of coupons. And downright theft to reverse after the fact like this.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast