Hi all, I have read many of your posts from the last several months and I am hoping you can help me!

I have had a successful web development business for the last 6 years and I am ready for a change. I am familiar with web marketing and have built dozens of successful sites that made use of SEO and other web marketing techniques.

I have been researching Afilliate Programs and How-To's for several months. I have found a couple of niche ideas, used WordTracker to research and I think I have a couple of potential winners.

However, as far as HOW to do this, I have run into so much varying information. Frankly, I am SO CONFUSED. I know tons about building web sites, but I am focused on learning about marketing afilliate sites.

I have read: "Write personal recomendations about the products you use-keep it specific to one concept", DON'T build a 'shopping mall' type site", "Build a mall site with a lot of products", "The best way to go is PPC", "PPC is a waste of money", "build more pages per site" ... and it goes on forever.

I get the idea of having more than one web site for affiliate marketing.

I read your posts about don't build coupon sites at this point, etc.

I sense there is no perfect formula, but I really feel less confident about this than before I started my research.

Can any of you provide some direction? Is there a particular method that has been more (or less) successful for you? Is there a forum here that is directed specifically for beginners?

Help...my brain is spinning!!
    Thanks in advance for ANY help, I'll definitely make these forums a routine part of my day!

There is no one way road to success. Each of us has had our own experiences.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    There is no one way road to success. Each of us has had our own experiences.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the best way to learn, it seems is from the various experiences of other affiliates posted within this forum. most of the questions comming to you on your way to making money using affiliate marketing are answered within the pages of this very forum, your best friend is the serch feature.

---
    Enlightened Affiliate looking for merchants with datafeeds/low reversals/great CR/no parasites.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kmkimmo:
    I have read: "Write personal recomendations about the products you use-keep it specific to one concept", DON'T build a 'shopping mall' type site", "Build a mall site with a lot of products", "The best way to go is PPC", "PPC is a waste of money", "build more pages per site" ... and it goes on forever.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It sounds like you have a good handle on it! No, really!

As others have said, you'll get different advice because different things have worked for different people.

Based on the things you pointed out, here is some advice:

1) Doing something more specific to a particular concept can work better than a more general site. My main site is a coupon/bargain site. I know quite a few of my competitors, and some of them have told me how they're doing. The most successful bargain sites are focused on specific categories.

2) A shopping mall type site can do fine if you can get traffic to it. The key is providing some sort of service or tool that other sites don't provide.

3) PPC can work, but it can also cost a lot of money without generating results. A lot of it depends on how well you write the copy and what you are promoting. Many people who are successful at PPC pick out specific products to promote.

4) More pages per site can help with natural search engine exposure. Keep in mind that you don't want more than 100 links or 100K per page.

5) More than one site is fine.

6) Coupon sites aren't what they used to be, but they still work. The key is getting traffic to them, which can be quite difficult now. There's a ton of competition for PPC and SEO because there's a ton of coupon sites now. One good thing about a coupon site is that it exposes you to hundreds of merchants. You can find some real good ones that way and that may give you ideas on sites build specifically to promote certain merchants or categories.

The most important thing is to jump in, get started, and keep trying different things. If you try 20 different things and 18 don't work, you still get 2 winners. Often, you don't know until you try.

Another tip: Try to make things as automated and simple as possible. That'll free up time for you to develop more sites.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    >I'll definitely make these forums a routine
    part of my day!

Welcome kmkimmo:

In January of 2001 I went to a webmaster conference in Vegas. It was there
    that I was told the secret to success in affiliate marketing. "Don't spend
    all your time in the many webmaster forums - Build sites!"

I would choose an Affiliate Manager from a program that interests you and
    pick his/her brain via Email or phone. What you learn may, generally
    speaking, be used across many industries.

PS: If anyone will be in Vegas on 1/7 or 1/8 PM me.

Mike Mackin

hi kmkimmo and welcome to the forum.

i am new here as well, i have had affiliate links on my personal and business websites since 1996 but never really realized the serious potential to earn money with this. now i am building my first real affiliate mktg website and i encountered the same questions and issues that you mentioned.

i think what will work for you will depend on what your niche is, and what your audience will be. what i am doing with all my questions is, i use the search feature here on ABW whenever something comes up that i need some input on, i read all the past discussions, and usually find at least 2-3 suggestions, ways of doing it that have worked for different people. i then use common sense to decide on which of those would work with my site, keeping in mind the audience i am building the site for.

There is such a wealth of knowledge here and so many ways of doing things, you won't find one set of "golden rules" on how to build a successful affiliate site.

I hope this makes sense. good luck!

My goals for 2004

ABW Ambassador
    Trial and Error is your best friend IMO. Stop thinking what you should do and just do something.

Eventually you'll find your magic formula, then just repeat and repeat and repeat.

Never stop reading ABW. Personally I think it's responsible for 75% of my success.

Javi

-------------
    <font size="1">The price of Open Source is your sanity</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2) A shopping mall type site can do fine if you can get traffic to it. The key is providing some sort of service or tool that other sites don't provide. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found that the mall type site works well as a means to diversify and test various merchants. When one area is slow other shopping categories can be hot. Malls offer a way to smooth out seasonal highs and lows. Malls are not very good for making big bucks fast, but can grow at a very nice, steady pace. Don't rely on the mall site alone. When you discover how to make various shopping categories work then build a new niche site based on what you've learned with the mall.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Thank you ALL for your replies! I appreciate the advice!

I am sure I will be posting more questions as I go, and I definitely be reading your posts in these forums.

Thanks again!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>MichaelColey: The most important thing is to jump in, get started, and keep trying different things. If you try 20 different things and 18 don't work, you still get 2 winners. Often, you don't know until you try.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup.. I reckon that 90% of my sites make hardly any money at all. However, the 10% that do make it all worthwhile.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Oh yeah! I almost forgot.. make sure you leave some space for adsense on your pages ( I like the vertical banner)

-------------
    <font size="1">The price of Open Source is your sanity</font>

ABW Ambassador
    The most important piece of the pie is the merchants you choose to do business with. If you are not aware of the parasite issue, start getting up to speed and avoid promoting merchants who partner with parasites "pp merchants".

Promoting merchants with a no parasite policy is not a sure fire success but the odds are improved by multitudes you can not imagine.

Also, broad based shopping with no product focus brings "window shoppers" and conversions usually suffer. Whether you build a mall or a specialty type site, make sure you also provide coverage for individual products. Outlining 15 products in detail from one merchant can be more productive than having 15 merchants with a banner and no real product focus.

Best of luck

** Have you asked for change? **

Your right there is no perfect formula. Some things work and some don't. What works today may not work tomorrow. So many merchants and too many products to choose from. Start with what you know and build from there. Since you already are familiar with SEO you have a great start. You don't need ppc if you can get your site on the first page of the engines.
    I too am getting away from the web design biz and more into the affiliate biz. Still keeping a foot in each door in case google kicks us all in the butt!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread