ABW Ambassador
    Is One Better then Other - .com or .info
    Hi: Is one better then the other - of course GoDaddy is telling me that .info won't be recognized as fast by the search engines - is this true. Also said to register domains for 5 years or they aren't ranked as high. Keep in mind .info are on sale for .99 cents and .com are costing $9.99.

Now keep in mind that this is strictly for informational websites that will be scanned by the search engines and not marketed on paper.

Please let me know if they are giving me accurate information.

ABW Ambassador
    domains that are set to expire soon may not be indexed as well, but you don't have to register for 5 years (although it is so cheap, why not just do it)

If your sites are for information, then the .info site would fit nicely.

.info sucks known for spam sites and isn't trusted by many.

In fact a lot of websites automatically block .info domains from being linked to from their sites.

ABW Ambassador
    These are not going to be sales sites - just information sites to provide information only - I'm not selling anything on them - does that change the opion of whether it sucks or not. I have read mixed reviews.

.info isn't the way to go because recent studies show that info domains aren't reliable and trustworth agencies and even the goverment is telling people to make sure the domain has .gov .edu or .org before you trust the information.

Google doesn't even like .info domains. .info sites have been known to magically disapear from google.

Microsoft even censors .info domains from MSN messenger not sure if they still do.

ABW Ambassador
    oh ok good information thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Agree with HG. If i see .info, I just figure it is a spoofed version of a real .com site.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by JadaKiss
    Is One Better then Other - .com or .info

Hi: Is one better then the other - of course GoDaddy is telling me that .info won't be recognized as fast by the search engines - is this true.... .
    Come on Jada!

You joined ABW on 2001, so how come you need to ask that question on 2009?

Even after just a decade, do you think that anything else can beat a DOT.COM?

Perhaps Jadakiss's account has been hacked - or sold

Seriously though, I saw an add "WTB - Ebay account with 100% positive feedback, minimum 100 feedback score". Perhaps I am being naive, but that surprised me.

ps. so that this post isn't too off topic, I wouldn't touch a .info with a .php string a mile long.

ABW Ambassador
    Talking
    LOL!! I just read your comments. Come on guys give me a break! You know I had a windfall of success with affiliate marketing back in 2001 and then became one of the affiliate marketing SE victims when yahoo switched its algorithum and I lost all traffic hence all income in like a 10 month period.

So after that, I got out of affiliate marketing and I did eBay for 5 years and then started building my own product sites thereafter. I haven't been in the affiliate game or buying domain names for affiliate purposes for many many years. So cut me some slack on the .info question.

I always come to abestweb because its like family here (I'm one of the original Commission Junction) forum members, so when I have a dum question I know I can ask. And I love Haiko, Leader and all the other ones that traveled over from CJ so long ago - for all their help and support over the years!!

.com is just the "natural" extension that people are going to type when they remember your domain/company name. No matter how much brand recognition you have, the domain extension just doesn't seem to embed itself in memory along with the name branding. Even large well-known organizations buy the matching .com domain to redirect it to their .org site.

Why start off with a handicap, yanno?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    .info ranks above .biz, but that's the only positive it has.

I, too, am not a big fan of .info or .biz. However I do have two infos and one biz that earn some $ for me EVERY day. I also have a site based on a .to (TOnga) that is among my best producing sites. It a travel site that, already today (early afternoon on a Sunday), has had four nice hotel bookings.

Dot-com is admittedly the best choice for a domain, but there are other factors in play that help make a site successful. (I also have a couple of dot-orgs that do well, but only one dot-net and one dot-us that do anything meaningful.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Howzya Been Jada

Wow JadaKiss.. it's been tooooo long!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Heyder!!! I have been blessed!

Hi Dynamoo!! I know right!! LOL!

Hey..I will never ever forget my abestweb family no matter how long its been. I love you guys..seriously!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    It's always fun to see an old name pop up. Hiya JadaKiss.

In order of extensions that I like:

.com
    .net
    .org
    .tv
    .us
    .everything else..... If the right keyword was available, I might drift into the lower extensions, but that is a rare thing for me. There are lots of folks around here with more domains than I, but I've got around 350, none of which are .info.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

elbowcreek - what about country specific extensions like .es when you are aiming for traffic from that country. Better than .com right?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Advoco, I do not have an opinion on that one way or another, I stick mostly to .com .net and .tv, and I already have more domains than I could develop properly in my lifetime, lol.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Definetely .com is the king...it is popular, practically become synonimus with the World Wide Web, and loved by Google
    .info is challenging ranking in search engines, mostly used by spam oriented sites due to low price, also hard to remember and loosing direct traffic this way.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by Advoco
    elbowcreek - what about country specific extensions like .es when you are aiming for traffic from that country. Better than .com right?
    It depends on the country.

German's love their .de (and interestingly hyphens too).

Mexican's don't like .mx that much - because the price of the domains are very expensive so they usually opt for a .com instead.

Pom's will hang out at .co.uk for local news and shopping but have no problems with .com

I am a fan of .info, just purchased 66 .info domain from godaddy today.

I would recommend the following

Look for a domain with exact keywords extension does not matter! If you can find it in .com go for it, if not .info could be your choice.

Also if you want to do some kind of experiment then go for 10 .info instead of 1 .com.

Here's what I did recently. My Experiment

I purchased 2 .info domains daily for a niche. Did this for 8-10 days.
    Parked these domain on top of my main .com domain
    Each domain fetched me around 5-10 uniques per day.
    === so it was a cheap source of traffic====

Days passed, months passed.

Again after 2 months, checked stats of all .info domains. One of them averaged 650 uniques for the first month. And it has reached at 550 uniques for this month.

Now I don't see any reason why google would rank this .info domain and not others.

So heres the conclusion
    Its just a matter of competition... and the extension really does not matter (unless it is country specific)

All comments on this are welcome!
    Thanks

many people will type in .com out of habit regardless of what other extension you register, however if you are not selling anything and are focused on information then it should be fine. search engines will recognize your site to be valid and you should not suffer from the effects of the .info's that have been abused. .com's can get banned just as fast as a .info.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread