Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Twitter links on your affiliate site?
    I just recently started a twitter account for one of my affiliate sites, and I'm slowly building up a following. My question is, how many affiliates actually put a "follow me" link to their twitter account(s) on their affiliate site?

I'd love to get some feedback on whether you have done this, and if so, if it has helped in anyway besides increase your followers on Twitter.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Hey Lana. I have recently put a Twitter follow me link on my coupon site, but it's too early to tell if it's had any affect.

I'm guessin they'd put em on their sites only cos I'm not sure how they would build their following if they didn't (guess you could just build it amongst twitter followers tho?? like Mr. Tweet, etc.) I know a lotta people have multiple accounts tho and include their affiliate sites. Your post reminded me I was gonna do this quite a while ago and ummn forgot to do it So, just added one and umm somehow got an email message from them that you and another person were followin me. ummmm don't know how ya knew that tho since I only just did it. and you're not listed as one of my followers. Ummm have only listed the one site so far tho and ummm think this is gonna be a bit confusing and awfully hard to keep up with since I already can't even keep up with the one of me let alone havin a couple of me's....ooooooooh what have I done. It's already got me havin a person I'm followin and followin me and I don't have a clue who that person is. So.....if you see any new person you're following that has to do with purple......you'll know who it is.

http and a telephoto
    After you get a few followers you might want to look at putting Twitter Counter on your site too, it shows how many people are following you already, and you can add a link under it to have people go to your page. It helps to have a line like "follow us on Twitter for site updates" or some other "call to action" along with the link. The point is to give people that may not want to join an email list a way go get your site updates and find out more about your site.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I have considered whether a twitter icon on my site would be a "leak" or distraction to my visitors. Ultimately did put one up since it helps people keep track of what is going on. I have 2 accts so far.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Your post reminded me I was gonna do this quite a while ago and ummn forgot to do it So, just added one and umm somehow got an email message from them that you and another person were followin me. ummmm don't know how ya knew that tho since I only just did it. and you're not listed as one of my followers.
    I found you by clicking on another follower's profile, then viewed their followers.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    After you get a few followers you might want to look at putting Twitter Counter on your site too, it shows how many people are following you already, and you can add a link under it to have people go to your page. It helps to have a line like "follow us on Twitter for site updates" or some other "call to action" along with the link. The point is to give people that may not want to join an email list a way go get your site updates and find out more about your site.
    I checked out the Twitter counters, widgets, and even buttons. I think I will probably go with a nice little graphic button on the side of my site that says something about following me for updates.

Loxly
    Think I remember you tweeting (still not sure if that's the correct terminology twitting or tweetering maybe? ) didn't you make a podcast having to do with twitter recently? Think so, so am gonna have to make some time to listen to it and learn more on how to be more productive with Twitter. So far I've basically used it for tryin to keep up with offers posted by affiliate managers, finding good resource links by following the seo smarty guys (the ones who are really respected but don't refer to themselves as gurus) They're always posting links so have been using it to learn and the rest is just kinda pssssssst friendly back and forth with people.

Really suck at promoting my ownself lol so hopefully this may help. Keep sayin it but really am gonna try to get myself doin a blog. This would be especially good for somethin like that, correct?

ladidah - "I have considered whether a twitter icon on my site would be a "leak" or distraction to my visitors. "

That's what I've always thought, too. Especially when we're friends with a lotta other affiliates so they're on our twitter pages. Am not really sure who all the people are who are following me there, thinking some are just coming from twitter so maybe it might work in reverse that we'd attract those following twitter to our sites instead of those following our sites leaving to go to twitter??

Which do you think it is working? Are we attracting those already at twitter to our sites or those at our sites to our twitter pages? Then....am not sure if we want those leaving our sites? Especially if we make a blog on our site?? Guess am gonna have to just learn more about it.

"I found you by clicking on another follower's profile, then viewed their followers."

I'm gonna get sooooo confused who everybody is anymore I swear I've got 2 new followers who I thought had been followin me all along, too. One thing with more than one account....we can send messages to our ownselves and talk back to ourselves.

Lol! What if one of your followers is followin' both of you??

All my sites have a follow me on twitter - I use it as building a community
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Definitely link to your Twitter account. It helps put a real person to your site and gives your users a way to reach you that's comfortable with them. In fact I'm planning to let each of my users post a link to their Twitter from their profile on my site. They'll probably see it as another way to promote their Twitter account, so it can motivate them to join and participate.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    It seems kinda leaky to me to have my site visitors go to Twitter or Facebook instead of creating the same environment on my own domain.

But I'm trying to understand ... LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Rexanne I would not link to facebook that would be a leak in my book.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    With all these kind of things, I always try to find the practical ways to use them. I have a regular affiliate marketing Twitter, the one in my sig. I also have another one for my site, coupon/shopping site, more of a placeholder just in case I use it in the future. But how would one use it for a coupon site?

Contact? I can see that I guess. If you have a contact page and somebody happens to have Twitter, it's a way they can contact you.

I had a couple of media people following my Twitter for my site, so that was something I think it might be useful for. If you have some announcement or press release type stuff, good way to get the message out to any media that might be following you, which could lead to more press.

But for regular coupon stuff, I don't see it useful for that. Talking about Twittering every time I post a new coupon or something like that. Not very practical.

There's lots of stuff out there but I always try to find out how I can actually use it to grow my business.

I'd echo loxly, nyfalcon and Snib on putting that "follow me on Twitter" button on your site. I see no serious cons for you to start doing it. It is a perfect way to keep your followers updated on news, deals, contests, new features added, etc... it's perfect for direct marketing. Go for it!

Geno

Trust I have people following my coupon twitter account that automatically post updates whenever I post a new deal. People out there are looking for bargains anyway they can and these people are using twitter. I have a captive audience waiting for my next deal.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, but I have a big coupon site. It would drown their Twitter account if I posted everytime I put up a coupon or deal.

I'm thinking my typical visitor to my site probably doesn't have Twitter. For the ones that do, probably don't live online and whenever they checked out Twitter, it would be more than a few pages of just coupon updates. They probably would also sign up with a personal account, so it would be a mess I would imagine. Plus they can just go to the site for coupons, I have a section just for new coupons. I actually don't know of any coupon sites doing stuff like that. Maybe a few updates per week kind of thing, I've seen a site here and there do that.

edit, was just checking twitter.com/coupon sites

To see how others in my category was using it. Some major ones don't have that many followers and checking some of the followers other affiliates or merchants. Some have a lot of followers and are using things like Twitterfeed to update it.

I think it can work great for some type of affiliate models, not so much with others.
    Last edited by Trust; February 15th, 2009 at 08:58 PM.

"But how would one use it for a coupon site?"
    That's what my thoughts were. Squidoo will say that the Squidoos have been updated for ya on twitter (you could send out a squidcast from there, too tho if ya wanted to) I seem to have some people from there following me but am not sure of the reason. Am kinda more inclined they're just fellow squidooers (not sure that's correct name for us or not) that may just be more outa curiosity or friendship.....but there could be that one maybe who is a possible shopper. It only says it's been updated tho, not what it update actually is.

Maybe the real biggie sites may update thru twitter if they had people doin it for them but I don't think it's too realistic to think it could be constantly updated either?? Or least not for any of the smaller coupon sites.

So, I was thinking more for it as just the reverse of what the others think of it as. Possibility of somebody from twitter who may follow me for whatever reason......then they may wanna visit my site cos they get curious from seein me on twitter?? Just a thought May be I'm look at this all wrong, tho, too.

Just post once a day with your deals then, takes about 10 seconds.

ABW Ambassador
    One post a day? That's not going to fit in 140 characters. Or are you talking about a link to the new deals in one post? See I already have a section for that, so the people that would sign up for Twitter, would already know about that and just go there. If I did that, they would see the same message, every single day. If that's what you mean.

And from what I'm seeing, twitter.com/type some coupon sites names in

There's not much uptake. I'm not seeing one that gets updated regularly with a lot of followers. Looking at sites much bigger than mine, other competitors.

I can see it maybe more with a site that has more social media aspects or users that are more into it/target audience, like what Snib does. For contact, for media, possibly. For constant coupon updates, I don't know. Haven't seen an actual working model on that one yet. I'm open to anything but it has to be practical and something people would actually use.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Yeah, but I have a big coupon site. It would drown their Twitter account if I posted everytime I put up a coupon or deal.
    There may be some people that are willing to follow you to get that sort of information constantly.

If you're announcing new coupons with a blog, just set up a Twitter account about the coupons and use Twitterfeed.com to pull your blog RSS into the Twitter account automatically.

It would all take 5 minutes if you've got RSS being updated already, and then you can test it to see if it works.

I think it could.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Rex, don't worry about leaks. As an affiliate you really have to have "leaks" because customers will see right through a site that uses only affiliate links. My best adivce to any affiliate is to link regardless of whether there's a commission tied to your link. If you do that you'll be able to give your users a much better experience.

Trust, how about you only tweet the absolute best deals that come around. Maybe pick 1-3 that you think are exceptional deals. You could even post your really good exclusive deals. I've been experimenting with this and I've had some luck with some well thought out deals. In fact I've even had some deals retweeted.

- Scott

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Trust, how about you only tweet the absolute best deals that come around. Maybe pick 1-3 that you think are exceptional deals. You could even post your really good exclusive deals.
    If you're doing it by blog and automating it, you could have a category for these exclusive deals and just use the RSS for that category to pipe the links to those blog posts into Twitter.

This is how the structure should work for category RSS if you're using WordPress:

http://yourdomain.com/archives/categ...egory-name/rss
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins
    If you're doing it by blog and automating it, you could have a category for these exclusive deals and just use the RSS for that category to pipe the links to those blog posts into Twitter.

This is how the structure should work for category RSS if you're using WordPress:

http://yourdomain.com/archives/categ...egory-name/rss
    Shawn, that's one way to go but it really helps to put some humanity behind each Tweet. I always try to type my tweets by hand to offer a human touch and add more authority to them. If somebody auto-tweets too much I might even un-follow them.

- Scott

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast