Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Understanding googlenomics
    Hello All

Perhaps someone could explain something to me.

I have been optimizing my home page for a certain key word phrase. For about a year I did not do any optimization and my site was #1 or#2 on page 2 for this particular key word phrase. In the past 2 months we decided to put some time into the site and did some optimization.

in about a week we jumped to #4 on the first page but this only lasted about 12 hours then we dropped to about #7 on the second page. This baffles me. But what baffles me even more is another site that for the past 2 months is an inactive site. If you click this site you get a message "this site has been suspended please contact billing for further information".
    The thing is....in the past 2 days this site has gone from #5 on page 2 to to #4 on page 1, This site has been suspended for over a month.

Could someone explain this to me. I understand that I need work on my optimization and whatnot, but how does a site suspended for over a month, and not active, jump 10 positions in the serps.

keyword phrase "clone golf clubs"

site in question tourpuregolf.com

my site crosshairgolf.com

Thank you

Al

ABW Ambassador
    With you being on some toolbar affiliates already, I would hazard a guess your program/coupons are as dirty as hell and you are paying the price for some crap linkage.

And pages like this sure aren't helping you
    http://www.crosshairgolf.com/Friends9_ep_48-1.html

15 years and counting
    Your traffic has been going down the hill these past two months. If your optimization is to exchange links with your 9 pages of friends, I can predict you'll be invisible pretty soon.

Don't know who sold you on that link exchange policy - but they "gotcha." Sorry.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Google doesn't care much for that kind of "optimization". Sorry, but I'm glad I didn't see it "before" if it was worse. You might want to read up some on basic html before you optimize any more, and look through the webmaster guidelines. It isn't Google's fault what's happening with that site.

Try here: http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35769
    Last edited by 2busy; February 15th, 2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    With you being on some toolbar affiliates already, I would hazard a guess your program/coupons are as dirty as hell and you are paying the price for some crap linkage.

What do you mean I am on some toolbar affiliates. What are they and how did I get on them.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Don't know who sold you on that link exchange policy - but they "gotcha." Sorry.
    What do you mean by that?

I do not understand. I have had that in place for 2 years.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Your traffic has been going down the hill these past two months. If your optimization is to exchange links with your 9 pages of friends, I can predict you'll be invisible pretty soon.
    How can you tell my "serps" have been going down hill? as for my traffic it has been going up, but for other reasons other than the home page.

Do you have a tool that might be helpful for me?

THank You

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Google doesn't care much for that kind of "optimization". Sorry, but I'm glad I didn't see it "before" if it was worse. You might want to read up some on basic html before you optimize any more, and look through the webmaster guidelines. It isn't Google's fault what's happening with that site.

Try here: http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35769

A little Vague, What do you mean by, that kind of "Optimization"

Thank You

Thank You for all the criticism, I know I do not know what I am doing and I need a lot of work.

I wish I could afford to pay an expert in SEO, but I can not.

I thank you for your input.

but could someone tell me how www.tourpuregolf is rising in the serps and the site is closed. You can all tell me what I am doing wrong, and I appreciate it, but what are they doing to rise 10 positions?

Thank You

Al

Quote Originally Posted by chetf

I do not have an affiliate program and I offer 2 coupons, I do not understand what is "dirty as hell" about offering coupons?

Thank You

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I do not understand what the problem with the link exchange is?

From what I understand link exchanges are BAD. So I joined a group of website owners that link in a different manner.

It works like this I am in group B, I link to group C, Group C links to Group A, and Group A Links to Group B. So, no reciprocal links.

It is really hard for a commercial site to get one way links so we have to get them any way we can.

Thank You

Al

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by agmccall

From what I understand link exchanges are BAD. So I joined a group of website owners that link in a different manner.

It works like this I am in group B, I link to group C, Group C links to Group A, and Group A Links to Group B. So, no reciprocal links.

It is really hard for a commercial site to get one way links so we have to get them any way we can.

Thank You

Al

Very very very bad!

The triangle linking thing isn't hard for google to pick up. These links may not hurt you as much as some people think, but they don't help as much as they used to in the past - either.

Thing is, the type of incoming link plays a part. A lot of your link partners are real estate, flooring sites, so you end up ranking #11 for terms such as "clone golf club real estate" #1 for "clone golf club hardwood"

Thank You

Al
    Three way linking schemes like this were outed years ago by Google. They are as bad as reciprocal links.

You want links from sites that are in your general area of business. Try creating some content about your product beyond product descriptions. Provide useful guides buying golf clubs that help visitors determine the type of club they should be looking at buying. People will naturally link to you if they think your site will be useful to others as more than just a place to buy clubs.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

A little Vague, What do you mean by, that kind of "Optimization"
    Your linking scheme. That is what is discussed (among other things such as keyword stuffing that you have). I thought if you visited the link you could learn how to and how not to do things properly to help your site. I see that others have noticed the same problems.
    You sell golfclubs. Visit sites that sell golf balls, golf shirts, related things. Talk to them about links if you want helpful links. It is best as others have suggested that you provide useful content so that these sites would just naturally refer their visitors to your site.
    Heaven only knows what the other site was/is doing, there are a lot of schemes to boost you for a week or two, but if you're trying to concern yourself with boosting your own ranking, long term, try to add some value that is related to your business. Pages of unrelated links can land you in the supplemental results.

15 years and counting
    How can you tell my "serps" have been going down hill? as for my traffic it has been going up, but for other reasons other than the home page.
    Do you have a tool that might be helpful for me?
    THank You
    I've many SEO tools and they give me the same information. A drop in traffic.
    If you have access to your own logs, nothing will beat them. Compare your traffic last year and this year.
    You can use also some free tools:
    Compete.com
    Quancast.com
    Google Trends
    Alexa.com
    They are not always accurate for low traffic sites but they will give you an indication.
    By example Compete is telling us your traffic dropped roughly from 2.5k to 0.5k in 12 months
    Alexa is showing roughly a lost of 1 million positions in ranking these last few months.

15 years and counting
    but could someone tell me how www.tourpuregolf is rising in the serps and the site is closed. You can all tell me what I am doing wrong, and I appreciate it, but what are they doing to rise 10 positions?
    What you're seeing now is not what Google has in memory to rank the site. It takes time for Google to analyse a site, to check the backlinks, to give an authority... they use years of data. That's how Google can beat the spammers, a sudden change on your site may have no effect for months but don't worry, Google will catch up.

Hi agmccall, you need a thick skin around here - I am glad you are not getting offended.

You should be grateful that your optimization methods have not got you removed from G altogether! G can be fickle. However there are products like WebpositionGold that will compare your page with your competition and tell you what they are doing compared with you. However, WebpositionGold is specifically singled out by G as a program NOT to use but I believe that because of its Reporting feature - not it's Page Critic feature which I am referring to.

Thank You for all the input.

on a previous post chetf posted:

"With you being on some toolbar affiliates already, I would hazard a guess your program/coupons are as dirty as hell and you are paying the price for some crap linkage."

Could someone explain what is meant by "toolbar affiliates" and "program/coupons"

I do not have an affiliate program, I do have 2 coupons available for customers but how can that hurt with google.

Thank You

Al

15 years and counting
    Toolbar affiliates download software on a user computer with the excuse to provide a service like specialized search, an indicator or a quick access to something... plus a reminder stealing traffic from the website the user is visiting and quite often overwrite the cookies of competing affiliates.

Are you trying to get US traffic? It's always better to have the server located in the country you're targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Toolbar affiliates download software on a user computer with the excuse to provide a service like specialized search, an indicator or a quick access to something... plus a reminder stealing traffic from the website the user is visiting and quite often overwrite the cookies of competing affiliates.

Are you trying to get US traffic? It's always better to have the server located in the country you're targeting.
    I have a basic understanding of what they are, but again, my question is. How would I be associated with one, I do not have an affiliate program? Does someone have me hooked up to one to steal my traffic, if so, what can I do?

Thank You

Al

since you're so interested in googlenomics, id suggest google webmaster tools!

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Can you answer me this?

Why on Earth would a website that sells golf clubs have 9 pages of ads that includes everything from "Best SEO Book" to "uk web hosting"?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit other useful sites

Friends1 | Friends2 | Friends3 | Friends4 | Friends5 | Friends6 | Friends7 | Friends8 | Friends9
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by john.smit00
    since you're so interested in googlenomics, id suggest google webmaster tools!
    thank you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast