Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Anybody Start A Facebook Group/Fan Page For One Of Your Sites?
    For those that have, how's it going? Any tips? Any problems?

Outsourced Program Manager DavidG-MV's Avatar
    We have a facebook page for our company and have also set many up for our clients. Most of them are doing quite well and have gained many followers. My few tips would be:

1. Don't make it salesy...people don't come to facebook to be sold...they come to interact.

2. Make it interactive (duh)....Give people a reason to come to your page aside from getting some new info...For example, on our facebook page, we provide a keyword suggestion and density tool. Although there are many of these tools available all over the place, it makes it convenient for people who are regularly logged into facebook to just jump to the page and use the tool.

3. Optimize the name of your page....Include popular search terms in your page title.

4. Solicit feedback through group messages and discussions. This will really help to refine your current initiatives and does it in a way where people want to contribute. We constantly submit new polls to our fans and the feedback has been great to date.

5. Don't inundate your fans with messages all of the time. For the most part people fan you on "their" time. This ties in to not being too salesy. Too many messages/updates and they'll block you.

Hope this helps.
    David Green - [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com]MoreVisibility[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com/seoblog/]Blogs[/URL] - [URL=http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497]Support Forum[/URL] - [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=19856]New SAS Program - 1STOPlighting.com[/URL][/B]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I can't get behind building a page for my site on another site. Why would I want to send traffic to Facebook when I can keep it on my own domain by creating the interaction environment on my site?

I did make a page on FB - not sure what to do with it. Once I figure out how to get a freaking blog set up on my site, I'll promote that instead of Facebook.

I like to keep my Facebook account personal and for industry pals, not for my visitors who might be offended by my insanity. LOL

On my own site, I can stay business-like, still be charming and fun but without the rants and raves that my visitors have no business seeing. And I have some friends outside the A.M. industry who are totally unprofessional and post craziness on my FB wall. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I agree with Rexanne. Although I do have a page for one of my sites I would much rather focus on building my sites. Facebook is a fad that will disapear in a while anyway when the next hot site comes along
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I can't get behind building a page for my site on another site. Why would I want to send traffic to Facebook when I can keep it on my own domain by creating the interaction environment on my site?
    The traffic is already at Facebook, the point is to get them to your site. I'm sure there are thousands of people who have never heard of your site that love Facebook and would love to hear about what you offer.

Sometimes we have to think outside of the box.

We have a Facebook Fan Page. It's a good alternative to having all of my members ask me to be a "friend" personally. This way, we can still interact together on FB, but it isn't on my wall and my account. In fact, when I post on my fan page, it doesn't even come up as me personally posting but rather my business.

One of my biggest reasons for starting it was to take better advantage of Facebook Ads. I know that I am much more likely to click on an ad that has a picture of one of my friends above it and says "Laura is a fan of X advertiser." I think to myself, "Well, if Laura likes it, maybe I will, too." With a Facebook Fan page, I can target the friends of my members in my advertising.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

I think you're better off implementing Facebook Connect and just using the about page. It's exactly the same as a fan page except it doesn't have as many media options. I just implemented Facebook Connect and already have 5X as many users for my app than my fan page (which is several months old). Plus through Connect you can send people automatic notifications, give them a profile box, let them find their friends on your site or you can post to their news feed. It's very powerful stuff and the best part is they'll be more likely to sign up to use your site if they can do it with their Facebook account.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I think you're better off implementing Facebook Connect and just using the about page. It's exactly the same as a fan page except it doesn't have as many media options. I just implemented Facebook Connect and already have 5X as many users for my app than my fan page (which is several months old). Plus through Connect you can send people automatic notifications, give them a profile box, let them find their friends on your site or you can post to their news feed. It's very powerful stuff and the best part is they'll be more likely to sign up to use your site if they can do it with their Facebook account.

- Scott
    Very good information!
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    One of my biggest reasons for starting it was to take better advantage of Facebook Ads. I know that I am much more likely to click on an ad that has a picture of one of my friends above it and says "Laura is a fan of X advertiser." I think to myself, "Well, if Laura likes it, maybe I will, too." With a Facebook Fan page, I can target the friends of my members in my advertising.
    That's clever. We have Facebook pages and I recently got into administrating a group for my 10 year HS reunion and it really doesn't take much time to get in there and set up.

I do agree with DavidG - social networks are soft sell environments so you can't go in with guns blazing.

ABW Ambassador
    Bump, since this is a year and a half old. We might have some new members or new people trying it out.

My first post was referencing a group but the replies and other option is a fan page. So I finally got around to making one for a site of mine.

And for those who have actually have one, any tips and how to best utilize it?

First thing, I notice you need 25 likes to pick the username you want - facebook.com/username It starts off with something but you can change it once you get 25 likes.

Trying to figure out the best way to use it. When I make a new post, I put that out on Twitter, don't know if I should do that on Facebook as well?

Or just normal chit chat type stuff?

Oh, and some of the concerns I see mentioned on fan pages:

You're only allowed one account with Facebook or risk getting the boot, so I added it to my personal Facebook account and was worried everybody would see my posts for that fan page. But it's only people who opt in/like the page. And you might have people "liking" the page who will see your posts from that page from now on but they won't be a part of your normal Facebook stuff. Pretty sure that's how it works.
    Last edited by Trust; September 22nd, 2010 at 04:36 PM.

I think your right about the viewing between the fan page and personal. I just recently started a fan page for my site. I actually don't even have it set to be seen to the public yet because I'm still not 100% comfortable with the set up.
    I'm not the most techie person out there, but it seems like the facebook interface for creating pages is really cryptic.

Facebook is a fad that will disapear in a while anyway when the next hot site comes along
    Amazing how my thoughts have changed on this subject. I still think something will come along and Facebook will die like myspace but in the mean time I am taking the faceboob traffic all the way to the bank.

I added a fanbox to my site and like buttons for each post. I found that after I added the like buttons on each of my WP post and fan box, it helped a bit with conversions. Also, starting to see traffic from there. The only negative is that it will slow down your page load since it has to download the css, picture files, js, etc from facebook.

Word of caution if you add like buttons to your WP post. They have to be set up correctly from the beginning ( I googled and found a blog post on how to add a like button in WP post, which was not accurate). Since then, FB has now added some instructions but for many the setup was done wrong and now too late to change unless I delete and start over again. For the proper way go to the facebook page to read all correct instructions, especially the "open graph" tags. The only reason I found out I was not doing it correctly was through a post on WMW recently. bahumbug.

For the fanpage, I created a name e.g. "Myweb Site" where Myweb was my first name and Site my last name. Then created a fan page with that account. I don't know if this is OK or not but this was way back when at the beginning.

I use tweetdeck to post on facebook and twitter at the same time. I don't tweet/post on my wall for every little promotion or post, but try to make it interesting and personal. I respond to each and every person that posts on my wall to keep the conversation going.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    For the fanpage, I created a name e.g. "Myweb Site" where Myweb was my first name and Site my last name. Then created a fan page with that account. I don't know if this is OK or not but this was way back when at the beginning..
    Don't quote me on this but I believe a facebook account has to be of a real person and not a business so there is a chance your account could become disabled. Although, I have seen many business have a regular facebook account and then their facebook fanpage. Because I wanted a fanpage, I had to give in and create a real facebook account.

http and a telephoto
    I think they changed it to: if you don't have a personal account you can have a business account, but you are not allowed to later have a second personal account. Which to me doesn't make sense because many businesses are run/owned by multiple people and should be able to have accounts of their own. They are using Fan Pages as an alternative, but I actually think Groups might be more useful. I can't message someone on a Fan Page, I have to post to their wall. There are Fan Pages set up where I would like to be able to shoot off a quick message, but have to go track other methods of contact and then I just give up and move on.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Well since FB is down now it is causing ugly errors on my site.

The whole FB is so confusing and I think the developers are confused themselves. Seems they make things up as they go along.
    Last edited by ladidah; September 23rd, 2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: need a nap can't spell

ladidah that is why I would never put a Facebook like button on my sites. Besides that you are giving facebook all types of info.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Smile
    I would like to bring this thread back up to date. More and more people are using Facebook now that a year ago when this thread was created.

I use a fanpage for my amazon store. Basically I review items from amazon, tiger direct, etc. Drive traffic to the fanpage and my site. FB is not going away so I finally stepped in.

I will let everyone know how it goes. Please post updates and helpful hints for those already using FB to help with sales.

Thanks in advance!

By the way I am finding myself on this forum way more than warriorforum lately. Thanks!

Jayson

You need to be sure you keep your Amazon links off the fanpage, Amazon is picky about putting their links anywhere but on your own domain. See this recent discussion: social media - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

Outsourced Program Manager JeremyE's Avatar
    I have been using Facebook fanpages for a few of my sites over the past year with great successes. I have found Facebook to sometimes be an even beter platform to get information out than blogging. Most people will visit your companies blog every few days, where often times they visit facebook daily.

While I don't think facebook is a magic bullet that will solve all your marketing challenges. I definitely think the benefits of having a fan page far outweights not having one. One thing however is to build some personality with your fan page versus just spammy posts with an offer. This will help build your overall brand and keep people from deleting you.
    Precious Metals - The Hottest New Affiliate Opportunity of 2011!

APMEX Affiliate Program

I never direct link amazon links. I always update my page and then link to my domain url.

It is easier to track everything this way.

Jayson

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyE View Post
    I have been using Facebook fanpages for a few of my sites over the past year with great successes. I have found Facebook to sometimes be an even beter platform to get information out than blogging. Most people will visit your companies blog every few days, where often times they visit facebook daily.

While I don't think facebook is a magic bullet that will solve all your marketing challenges. I definitely think the benefits of having a fan page far outweights not having one. One thing however is to build some personality with your fan page versus just spammy posts with an offer. This will help build your overall brand and keep people from deleting you.

So you are saying posting news and real posts that will benefit your fans correct? Basically giving them more than just a pitch. I usually post once a day to the fanpage and then post other stuff to the groups that I am in. No spam and always quality posts. I am getting a lot more traffic to my sites thus far so it is working for me. I do IM part time and never really care about making millions. Just supplement for beer money and taking the girl out to dinner. And now gas money.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Question:

How does one handle having multiple websites? Multiple FB accounts (which, I don't think is allowed)?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Question:

How does one handle having multiple websites? Multiple FB accounts (which, I don't think is allowed)?

I have multiple Facebook accounts. Never had a problem. One is my personal one that I never use and the other is for my LLC. I have created an alias one also for testing.

Just use a different email address.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm091 View Post
    I have multiple Facebook accounts. Never had a problem. One is my personal one that I never use and the other is for my LLC. I have created an alias one also for testing.

Just use a different email address.
    How many cell phones do you have for text message verification?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast