Exclamation 16% of Retail Sales Influenced by the Web
    Forrester Research estimated that almost $400 billion of store sales, or 16 percent of total retail sales, are directly influenced by the Web as consumers research products online and purchase them offline. It is estimated that this will reach $1 trillion in sales by 2012.
    [Source: Cooper & Grutzner (2008). Tips and Traps for Marketing Your Business. Chicago, IL: McGraw-Hill Professional. p. 147.]

Mind-boggling!! Do you know of many/any merchants who are tracking in-store/offline affiliate-referred orders?

Geno

Affiliate Manager Peggy - BeachAudio's Avatar
    Very interesting information. I makes sense because I do that all the time. It's more efficient to do the research online and then if you need to touch and look at the item you go to the store knowing exactly what you want. I've never heard about Brick & morter stores tracking this, but it'll be interesting to know if that will evolve.

Affiliate Network Rep ayakobing's Avatar
    This is very interesting. As a consumer, I actually find stuff online, go to store to touch and look at the actual item, then go back online to find the best deal. It's a long process, but worth my time if I really want to buy something

Quote Originally Posted by ayakobing
    This is very interesting. As a consumer, I actually find stuff online, go to store to touch and look at the actual item, then go back online...
    Exactly!! I was actually quite surprised by the above data. I thought we've shifted the other way -- we find what we want online, we come to the store to touch it and feel it, and then go back online to find the best deal possible.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Exactly!! I was actually quite surprised by the above data. I thought we've shifted the other way -- we find what we want online, we come to the store to touch it and feel it, and then go back online to find the best deal possible.

Geno
    Many businesses are now matching internet pricing or getting close to it.

The instant gratification factor comes into play. If you could buy a 58" plasma TV online for $2000 and wait a week to get it or pay $2000 at the local electronics store and take it home with you that day... which would you chose?

If they don't match the internet pricing exactly, they are showing added value to the consumer in dealing with a local business. Combine that with the instant gratification and most consumers willingly pay a little more for the same product.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Many businesses are now matching internet pricing or getting close to it.
    Reminds me of a tweet I saw today, which read like this:

Was @ Nordstrom and saw signs all over shoe department "we will beat any price" - pulled up iPhone app and they matched the cheapest price!

http and a telephoto
    knight01 it depends on if I can take it home or need to have it delivered.

True story, I went online at Staples.com to look for a desk, found it, went to the store to get it. Guess what, *they* had to order it online to have it sent to me! Retail space in NYC is so expensive that many b&m don't have items in stock, they have to be ordered and delivered even if you go to physically to the store. So his research may be flawed.

Remember, almost any data can be spun any way the researcher wants it to be.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Sears & K-Mart have a dedicated lounge/space of computers connected to the Internet.
    Sears & K-Mart encourages shoppers to check e-mail, visit sites, and check out their offerings online.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Mind-boggling!! Do you know of many/any merchants who are tracking in-store/offline affiliate-referred orders?
    Geno[/LEFT]
    I think you need to have RFID chips in consumer's brain and sensors on their head to to be able to track such transactions. Maybe in 10-20 years.

There is one other thing: in-store pick up. I ordered and paid for a laptop in BestBuy.com and picked it at the local store. It tracked like a normal transaction.

Sam said:

There is one other thing: in-store pick up. I ordered and paid for a laptop in BestBuy.com and picked it at the local store. It tracked like a normal transaction.
    This needs to be brought up much more by brick and mortars. It's a wicked valuable tool that they can rely HEAVILY on from their affiliates if they play their cards right.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I think that data may be shifting with the changing economy. Seems that data was written up in 2008, and who knows how long it took to collect data.

I Went to the mall to look for birthday present for my daughter yesterday. 1/4 of the mall stores were closed, out of business, and the rest, well the merchandise just was crap, cheaply made, sleazy, etc. the stores that were open were replaced by expensive name brand stores like Gucci, etc. These are the only stores that can still afford to be open and pay the mall rent, the others just had to close their doors..The mall was a ghost town. So where do these people shop? Walmart? Or are they forced to go online?

I'm suprised the numbers aren't higher. Then again I've always agreed with that old yellow pages tv jingle that exhorted you to "let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages". Why trudge from store to store to know which ones have what you want at a price that is acceptable.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

I too am surprised it's not more like 25 - 30%. Even more surprising to me is the fact that some of u go to the store, take a look and feel, then go back online to purchase. Me, personally, if something I want is in front of me and I dont want to wait for shipping and all that, I'm just gonna buy it straight up then and there. Unless the price i can get it online is drastically cheaper...altho there's rarely the case imo

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Last Friday nite our TV went "poof" - black screen, bright line across the middle.

Hopped online - 30 minutes later I had researched and found the LCD I wanted. Saturday morning went to the store and bought it.

I could have bought it through an affiliate link and picked it up at the store - but you know what - it wasn't worth the effort and hassle for 2%...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

16%? I would think that number should be higher. Nearly every purchases (except for impulse buys) I do research on the internet before buying.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread