Alright, affiliate marketting, eh...
    Well, I've been trying to figure out how to go about this for a while now. Basically, well obviously since this is what the site is about, I want to make my own affiliate website (Surprise, surprise).Of course, I should also note I'm in college so I'm not sure how I would put time in this since I am prioritizing school over this for now. But what the site should sell mainly is computer parts. And I want something more like a price comparison site, I noticed price watch, that site is something similar to what I want, but I couldn't really stand it much since it was all a large mess. Everything was in the right place, but I felt things could be done a bit better.

Then it came to me, I could probably try and make a website that can surpass pricewatch when it comes to organization, and design! But then I noticed some difficulties, to make such a website would be simple, but there is no way you can automate it even with a web crawler of some sort? I found a few price comparison scripts on the net but they didn't seem worth it really. Like KaonSoftwares, and PriceTapestry, nor am I sure about this yet. I am willing to put time and energy in it if I feel a bit more confident I just thought I'd try to seek advice here.

I originally planned to sell anime, and video game goods through affiliate marketting since I'm a complete otaku. :P But then I realized a couple things that would make it a bit difficult. Of course this isn't much better either. o_o;; And yes I am aware this isn't gonna be easy, and yes I read the magic bullet thread.

And if this feels like a waste of your time my apologies, just wondering how I should go about it? o_o;; Is it even possible to automate things so I can have more time on school work, and other hobbies, while at the same time running the website and coming to check on how the site is doing from time to time. o_o;; I have no clue, you can say the amount of research I did on this hit a dead end at some point. >_>;;

And yes, I abuse smilies...(just oticed this...)

Things I'm aware I should learn: HTML, CSS...everything else I'm not 100% sure... lol

Reasons: I feel that I have some need for extra income, considering my families current financial situation.

There's pros and cons no matter what decision you make in life. It's not the cons that should stop you, it's how you decide to resolve them. You're not a techie, but you want to do techie stuff. Well, you're going to have to bite the bullet and learn HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, etc. Or else pay for programs/templates/scripts that automate the processes for you.

Look through the Programming/Coding threads here: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188

1. Make a decision about the subject/type of site you want to create.
    2. Get a hosting account.
    3. Start a WP blog and use a free template.
    4. Find affiliate programs to join.
    5. Fail to make money.
    6. Learn more, experiment.
    7. Implement new strategies.

There's tons of free plug-ins for WP that could help you achieve your goals without you needing to learn any techie stuff, that's why I'm recommending it. But for most affiliate programs, you'll need a hosted account, not a free one, in order to be accepted as an affiliate.

Good luck to you in your journey!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

While I wish you luck acheiving your goals, and the Wordpress advice is about the best option if you don't know how to build a site, I do think that the expectation to have it running successfully on autopilot is not too realistic. I would look closely at the instructions offered by JoyUnltd, particularly #5 as that is the most common result. Affiliating is like any other business that succeeds or fails depending on how devoted you are to it.

If you think I should stop writing large amounts of text, say, "Aye!"
    To get into more detail I've decided to try and convert my laptop into a server, just so I can see what I can do with that. Then later on I was planning on moving to a real web host. I found one I liked and decided to save it for later before making any final decisions. So far I have GIMP, and Photoshop so I plan on at least trying to make my own website templates. I have also downloaded the WP software for later usage.

I figured after I play around a bit and learn some of the basics I'd really try to move on to an actual webhost. :P The thing is I wanted more advice. I guess this was a waste of my own time since I didn't learn much new things. Or I didn't put enough detail in my first post. I still do not know HTML but I figured I could practice this on my old dell laptop. And no, I'm not actually gonna use that laptop as the main server, its only temporary till I actually complete it.

I've chosen two subjects: Computer Hardware and Home theater, with Video Games. Or just Anime and video games. Eh, I chose these since I've done so much research on HDTV's and computers lately that I feel this it be a bit simpler. The anime is because as I mentioned before I'm an otaku, so I figured this it be a bit simpler. But I'm not sure if the anime with all the anime pirates out there. :/

Hmm, I mean I already knew that most people would have to learn SCRIPTING but the thing that bothered me about this is that I know someone who tried this before but they said no matter what they did they couldn't make their scripts work right. Yet from what I read so far it seems a lot of people here know how to write their own scripts. Of course I got most of my ideas by a website which uses its own computer from the 90's or something as a server, except I'm using an old laptop that was given to me as a gift. The moment I thought of this I figured, "Hey, this could work! O_O" At least to learn some of the basics. >.>

So what I should have asked is, for scripting, how would you recommend I start with that? o_O;; And how difficult is it to make a script the way I would want?

Since it sounds like automating things won't work I'd have to do things manually at first, but once I learn a thing or two I think I can do it. o_o;;

But to make sure I made myself clear: THE LAPTOP/SERVER IS MEANT TO PRACTICE SOME OF THE BASICS! Not for actual use for the main website. o_o;; Its more like a Guinea Pig! D:
    Last edited by Prinny-Baal; February 19th, 2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Ahem, to add a title

http and a telephoto
    You are making things way too complicated. Read JoyUnltd again. Get a basic, simple website. $3-4 a month for hosting, paid a year in advance. That's about $50-60. Much better than trying to mess around with making your own computer into a "server". You will create way more work and problems than you need to.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    You are making things way too complicated. Read JoyUnltd again. Get a basic, simple website. $3-4 a month for hosting, paid a year in advance. That's about $50-60. Much better than trying to mess around with making your own computer into a "server". You will create way more work and problems than you need to.

Well, at least it sounded like a good idea on paper. :/ I'll just look into this a bit more now. >_>;; Thank you.

And note: if anyone has more advice to give I'm willing to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Prinny-Baal
    Well, at least it sounded like a good idea on paper. :/ I'll just look into this a bit more now. >_>;; Thank you.

And note: if anyone has more advice to give I'm willing to listen.
    You do not need to create a server at home to learn HTML and CSS. If you want to learn scripting, you need to know HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript first. That's the very basics...there's XML, SOAP, Ajax...list goes on and on. You're putting the cart before the horse. You can't learn/understand scripting without knowing how to build and operate a website.

Regarding setting up your laptop as a LAMP server, here's a good guide for a PC: http://www.latenightpc.com/blog/arch...pdt-and-xdebug. If you don't know what LAMP is, you're not ready for this yet.

You wanna be a geek and you sorta, kinda want to start some kind of an online biz. But the biz you really are interested in, anime, has pirates. Here's news for you: there's pirates throughout the aff biz. Read the threads in the ABW Parasite Forum. Do you see people quittng? No, we're all hanging on for dear life and figuring out ways to deal with all sorts of issues running an online biz, both affiliates and managers.

You claim you can build a better mousetrap but you have no idea how to build a mousetrap. You're not even at the bottom of the ladder. Your competition is hard-core geeks who live, breathe and drip coding in all flavors, 24/7. And they might even have a team and venture capital behind them. So if you think you have a better scripting idea, enroll in some college courses and learn from the ground up. Or Google for free, online tutorials.

You're playing mind games with yourself: "I have to do this first before I can do this, blah, blah, blah." How do I know? Been there, done that myself. I know the language very wel, lol!

So which do you want to do? Become a savvy web developer or run an online biz? That's for you to answer, this is your life. As loxly says, you can start on online biz right now for $50-$60, dive in and learn the ropes as you go along. Or you can dedicate the next couple of years to becoming a web developer.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. We can point you to resources, give advice about scripting...but you don't even know which scripting language you would be working in.

Good luck, best to you! Hope you figure out what it is you want to do.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread