Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I have to laugh when I read an email like this.

It should start with "I have a bridge..." if they think we are all that stupid.

-----

Eddie Bauer is committed to making the affiliate program successful and effective for everyone. As of the first of the year, in an effort to better align our affiliate program with our other marketing programs, there will be an important change to our standard commission structure.

Effective January 1, 2004 the standard cookie duration will change from 15 days to 0 days (or a single user session). To balance any reduction in sales volumes from sales that occur after the initial session, we will be increasing the standard revenue share from 5% to 6%.

This change will not affect the payment process or available creative and will not require any action by the affiliate.

We are excited about this change and look forward to a strong 2004. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    Isn't spin great? It's like the email I got from Amazon saying how excited they were to be cutting my direct-link commission for books in half. These AM's must think we are a bunch of dolts.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the heads up, I must have deleted that email by mistake.

I will be deleting all of my EB links this evening, because I just won't support zero day cookies.

Lily

Do what I did,

Thank you so much for sending me your exciting news.

I must tell you I have voted Your Company "Eddie Bauer" for the Idiot Affiliate Director of the year award.

Congratulations!

I hope you win

SandraR

I haven't had the pleasure of receiving that missive yet, but when I do I'll be sure to use that response.

gahhhhh!

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

Message to Eddie Bauer:

Thanks for advising me of the upcoming change to your cookie duration. In this effort of "making the affiliate program successful and effective for everyone" may I ask how this is going to help me? Preventing me from collecting a commission on a customer who returns to your site at a later time is business suicide. Why would I want to send you traffic FOR FREE?

I'm sorry, but a 1% increase in revenue share isn't going to cut it. This is just another way of making sure Eddie Bauer is the only one making money in this partnership.

I'm sure you are exited about this change, now you can see how many publishers you can avoid paying commissions to. I hope you find most of your publishers dropping you over this, it's really a terrible move on your part.

Andy

as of right now I don't see the change showing on the performics site for Bauer or Bauer Catalog. It'll probably happen as soon as I sign off for the night, though.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Hey, but they increased the commission rate 1% !

As Homer would say "WooHoo".

Always Keep The Legs Moving!

and we're ALL SO pleased to get that 1%.

Advertising Revenue Service
    Paying more, and more often, than anyone else.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    No sweat. This AM and the whole company will be out of Business by July. Has been brand if ever there was one!!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I agree about great spin in the email It should be interesting what some of the merchants have planned for the New Year. It will be more interesting to see which merchants survive online

Response sent!

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

[This message was edited by DaPackster on December 30, 2003 at 01:36 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Weren't they already at 6%? I thought they went to 6% when we were forced to go from BeFree to Performics.

Michael

Just out of curiosity, what wording would have made that news better? Since "we're excited about the change" (likely referring to the increase in percentage) isn't conveying the bad news/"good" news, what would?

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager | eastwood.com
    e: patrice@eastwood.com | v: 610.323.2200x2206 | aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

Patrice, does this mean you soon have to break some bad/"good" news to us?

"Sometimes I feel like a pelican. Whichever way I turn, I've still got an enormous bill in front of me..."
    (Edmund Blackadder III)

"Excited" to be cutting affiliates out of commissions and reducing ad costs I suppose...

They will be dropped by me today as well...

Fortunately, I don't have that many links up for Eddie Bauer...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Patrice wrote: Just out of curiosity, what wording would have made that news better? Since "we're excited about the change" (likely referring to the increase in percentage) isn't conveying the bad news/"good" news, what would? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Patrice,

With something like this, there's no way to put a spin on it and make it seem like a positive. Think about it: they're reducing the return time from over 2 weeks to ZERO! How can a lousy 1% increase compensate for that? It can't.

In a case like this, the honest, down to earth facts are best: due to poor economic conditions in our market segment, we must reduce return days to capitolize on shoppers who are ready to buy immediately... etc.

But whatever the reason is, it better be honest and truthful: we have our sources to investigate and verify information, too.

If the company can't afford it any longer, say so.

If the CEO's wife needs to redecorate the Palm Beach Estate again this year, and the affiliate program is getting cut back because of this, well...that's a tough one to justify.

I doubt this is the case with Eddie Bauer, but I'll remember this move next time I'm out shopping in the brick and mortar or Internet worlds, and I'll likely go to their competition, just because I know what kind of a company they really are and I don't believe in supporting companies that do things like this.

Andy

This might be the explanation for the zero cookie:

AP Wire Article

No, I have no bad news to break, that I know of! I was just wondering. I write alot of business copy and I would have never written that email in that way, but I was just curious as to what would have focused the comments you guys have to exactly what the issue was - cutting the duration. What would have stopped adding the insult to injury. Andy's reply was exactly what I was looking for.

I think most people prefer honesty over spin. I think spin is good for consumers at large - that's the essence of marketing - but for business partners, honesty rules. But not everyone sees affiliates as pure business partners.

-patrice

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by terrymc:
    This might be the explanation for the zero cookie:

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p...></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely.

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone seen one of these from Spiegel too?

It is obviously another program, where the AM has little control over what happens in the program. If the AM were really dedicated to the program, or understood it, or had more control, he could have at least held on to a two or a five-day cookie. But zero, sheesh!

This is management's way of owning the customer and the brand. "Send us the visitor, we'll take him from there. And if he buys something the first visit, we'll send you a little something."

Not for me - who should I convert that traffic to?

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    My forecast still stands. Seems these major brand retailers like FAO Swartz employ 3rd party Ad Whore AM forms to mis-manage their value-add sales force. Show me an AM wearing a sales managers cap and I'll show a program where this BS doesn't take place.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread