http and a telephoto
    Leveling program for podcasts
    I recorded a podcast earlier today and even though I tested ahead of time, during the call the levels of the 2 people being recorded were messed up. My channel was faint and went in and out, and the caller's channel was perfect, but way louder than mine. I posted to twitter that I used CallGraph to record the skype call and that I had problems, and apparently CallGraph monitors twitter for comments about their software. Lo and behold, minutes later they twittered that I should use:

http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator

to smooth things out. Well, I was skeptical, especially after I installed it and all it said was "drag your audio file here". What? lol. It wanted a wav and I had an mp3 so into Audacity we went and converted to wav and I dropped the file into the Levelator.

It worked. Seriously. Free software and it balanced the 2 channels perfectly. If you are recording podcasts with multiple people give it a try. CallGraph is also free, and recorded the call in stereo, so I don't know if it can help with calls or files that only have one channel but I am very impressed.

Podcast will be posted shortly, I stopped to post this while it converts back to mp3 and I get it uploaded.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=116414

This is the podcast I used Levelator on. It really made a *huge* difference. Free. Easy. No catches
    Deborah Carney

Quick question...what made you go with CallGraph? I've got Audacity downloaded now. Tried Pamela and had problems. Tried CallGraph and it locked up my computer. But if it really is better, I'll find a way to make it work.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

http and a telephoto
    I use Audacity for editing and for inhouse recording (not calls). I use Skype and have used Pamela and it worked ok, but for some reason even though I bought the upgraded version I can't get it to work. The free version works, but is limited to 15 minutes and although that can be fine, it cuts off no matter what Most of my podcasts seem to go about 20 minutes.

I saw Shawn Collins mention CallGraph and I downloaded and tried it and it worked great. Plus now they are on twitter and found my concerns from yesterday and customer service goes a long way with me

I'm open to finding and testing more recording options, but Pamela and now CallGraph seem to be the leaders. If I could use Audacity to record Skype calls that would probably be ideal
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    I liked CallGraph a lot, but was having trouble with it connecting to Skype sometimes (maybe it's a Vista thing?).

So, I'm back with Pamela for now.

But I did like how CallGraph was available on Twitter.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

We ended up using Pamela for our first one and I think it turned out okay. It was definitely easy.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Tricia yours sounded great except for a small part where I think Angie was talking and cutting out a little bit.

We used Pamela for ours too and had problems with my sound level... Mike was recording it, so I was considered the caller in that case I guess.

Maybe we'll try CallGraph out when we record this week's ep tomorrow. Though Mike mentioned that Shawn was having issues with it in Vista. Are you using Vista too, loxly?

Since I can't edit that post, I'll just point out that I didn't see Shawn's post here before mentioning what Mike told me lol. D'oh!

http and a telephoto
    Leveler works with any file, it doesn't matter if it is recorded with Call Graph or Pamela. I switched back to Pamela, I seem to have the paid version working now, I installed the latest updates (I hadn't updated since I purchased it several months ago).

To use Leveler I had to convert the podcast to a different format, which I used Audacity for, then converted it back to mp3.

Pamela has leveling capability, but I really think Leveler is just easier to use

And yes, at the moment all my computers are Vista. One desktop is the 64 bit version, the other and the laptops are 32 bit.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Leveler works with any file, it doesn't matter if it is recorded with Call Graph or Pamela.
    That's good to know... we had some slight level issues and I spent hours in Audacity messing with stuff. I'll give this a try this week when we record episode 3!

Tricia - how often are you ladies aiming for your show? I can't wait for another lol

http and a telephoto
    Pamela lets you record as a wave file instead of mp3, that is what Leveler needs. Used it on a file again this week, it really works great. If you actually have drop outs it can't bring those up, but it makes both channels level.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    Tricia - how often are you ladies aiming for your show? I can't wait for another lol
    Thanks!! We actually just uploaded one today. It's the Gift of Food.

This time we recorded to a wav with Pamela and then had to level out with Leveler. Then back into Audacity to save as an mp3. I'm sure there has to be an easier way. But it worked. And Leveler made it sound much better.

I've got to head over to geekcast.fm this week and catch up on everyone else's podcasts. It's hard to do with the kids in the house because some of the language is...um....colorful. So I have to do it on the days when they are not here.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    This time we recorded to a wav with Pamela and then had to level out with Leveler. Then back into Audacity to save as an mp3. I'm sure there has to be an easier way. But it worked. And Leveler made it sound much better.
    That's my workflow I actually don't think there is an easier way without a lot of testing before hitting record (you can level in Pamela, but when I tried and it sounded right, it was still wrong, lol).

Looking forward to the Gift of Food
    Deborah Carney

Thanks!! We actually just uploaded one today. It's the Gift of Food.
    Cool, I'll check it out later. I'm enjoying my latest Pandora station far too much right now
    I know all that editing is a pain but with freebie programs, can't complain too much lol.
    It's hard to do with the kids in the house because some of the language is...um....colorful. So I have to do it on the days when they are not here.
    That made me laugh a lot only because our "pre show" part of us talking that I cut out was rather colorful... but we're all business once we start

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread