CJ Datafeed question
    I am currently creating a price comparison site and was wondering if there is any advantage with the datafeed format?

I don't know if which would be the best answer if there is any to the questions below? Could anyone help explain any benefits/disadvantages for each question? Thanks

1. What format would you like to use to receive your data? Choose from one of the following formats:
    a. TAB
    b. CSV
    c. PIPE
    d. XML
    e. EXCEL

2. Which method of transfer would you like to use to receive your product data? Choose from one of the following:
    a. CJ FTP (you access to our FTP servers)
    b. Client FTP (we access to your FTP servers to push the file(s)) with any log-in and password information needed for access
    c. HTTP (you access our HTTP Web servers)

Quote Originally Posted by Davecore
    I am currently creating a price comparison site and was wondering if there is any advantage with the datafeed format?

I don't know if which would be the best answer if there is any to the questions below? Could anyone help explain any benefits/disadvantages for each question? Thanks

1. What format would you like to use to receive your data? Choose from one of the following formats:
    a. TAB
    b. CSV
    c. PIPE
    d. XML
    e. EXCEL

2. Which method of transfer would you like to use to receive your product data? Choose from one of the following:
    a. CJ FTP (you access to our FTP servers)
    b. Client FTP (we access to your FTP servers to push the file(s)) with any log-in and password information needed for access
    c. HTTP (you access our HTTP Web servers)
    Dave, you say that you're creating a price comparison site, but I think that before you start to even think about creating a price comparison site, that at least you should be familiar on how datafeeds work...

To me, only you should know what's best for you to use, because any of those examples you posted are going to work for what you're trying to do, so only you should know what works better for you...

Anyway, I use the a. example on both examples you posted for my CJ datafeeds, but I don't see how that can help you decide...

I use XML feed files and HTTP access.

Since the data is really the same no matter how you get it, I don't think it matters.

My feeling is that a. TAB, b. CSV, c. PIPE is the easiest to use, but then maybe I'm not doing the xml thing right.

How do you get the datafeed from CJ.

I don't find the way. Can anyone help?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by sat_moonstruck
    How do you get the datafeed from CJ.

I don't find the way. Can anyone help?
    you pay for them, unless you earn a ton of commissions, then they are free to access.

Get in touch with cj.com and ask for datafeed access

Can anyone tell me where exactly it is written how to start getting the feed ?
    My task is to get all the promotional coupon feeds of different merchants (thousands) in a combined way from CJ . Same goes for Linkshare and others.
    Can you tell me if I want to have feed from 6-10 Affiliate networks into my database, is it possible or not ? If yes, with a average programming skill how big task is it .. more than a week ? Is there a simpler solution ?

The advantage is using the set up that you are most familiar with. That's why they have options. I like XML off the CJ ftp server.

XML files can get pretty big and CJ doesn't deal well with really big datafeed files. You will have to have CJ chunk your feed files and maybe even chunk them while you process them, assuming you join a lot of programs. To give you an idea, I use tab format, which is more compact, and I am still pulling 11.4 GB uncompressed. Imagine the size with xml tags.

I use xml format for Amazon when I ftp their data files and that's 17.1 GB compressed. I don't know how big uncompressed because I've never uncompressed them to disk or looked at the gzip stats. Instead I uncompress in memory and process in chunks. Its a huge pain.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Affiliate Manager
    Tab and Pipe are the most efficient to parse.

CSV is not a single standard but rather an ad hoc collection of variants that is particularly onerous to work with and must die.

XML is great for transferring data between applications that know little about one another, and/or when the data is inherently hierarchical by nature. Since product feeds tend to have a uniform structure well suited to a tabular format the overhead of parsing XML tags is an unnecessary expense, not to mention what those do to file size.

So my vote: tab or pipe.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    CSV is not a single standard but rather an ad hoc collection of variants that is particularly onerous to work with and must die.
    lol

I agree with Fourthworld.

XML is great for smaller sets of data eg RSS feeds, podcasts etc but far too bulky for any reasonable sized product feed.

I would choose pipe over tab. But that is just a personal preference.

As to method of delivery I would go for a/ CJ FTP or c/ HTTP because those are the systems available for most networks and the same PHP functions can be used to download all the feeds.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff
    I use xml format for Amazon when I ftp their data files and that's 17.1 GB compressed. I don't know how big uncompressed because I've never uncompressed them to disk or looked at the gzip stats. Instead I uncompress in memory and process in chunks. Its a huge pain.
    isellstuff - thank you, that is a good hint. I'm uncompressing the files then parsing them... I can see the advantage of working dirrectly with the compressed files - I did not know it was an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Donk
    lol

I agree with Fourthworld.

XML is great for smaller sets of data eg RSS feeds, podcasts etc but far too bulky for any reasonable sized product feed.

I would choose pipe over tab. But that is just a personal preference.

As to method of delivery I would go for a/ CJ FTP or c/ HTTP because those are the systems available for most networks and the same PHP functions can be used to download all the feeds.

Bob
    I'd choose pipe over tab too.

I'm sort of a newbie with datafeeds too. Is there a good resource on the internet or a good book that helps explains them in detail?

BTW, My vote is for the pipe format.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread