Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Worst termination letter ever...
    This message is to inform you that you have been removed from the affiliate program of the merchant: Engraved Crystal Shoppe The reason given was: No clicks, no sales, no response to email
    That was the entire email right there.

So I emailed this response...

Billy Kay, What email? Last email received was on 2/18/2009 titled "Engraved Crystal Shoppe St Patrick's Day Coupon and Banners".

As for No Clicks, No Sales - have to say our fault on that one.

But you know - it really is stupid to drop a non-performing affiliate, because you never know where your next sale will be coming from. I guess you have your business down to where you can handle it.
    OK, I feel better...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Wow, I am really surprised! The program hasn't been running all that long, a few months now. Sometimes people join a program, then have to put it on the back burner for awhile. This doesn't sound like Billy. I know he's very successful, however, I hope he realizes that a lot of his affiliates are several thousand ladder rungs below him.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

ABW Ambassador
    That is surprising. He's usually starting these type of threads with emails like you received.

That termination is about as logical as the following:

"This message is to inform you that you have been removed from our email list. The reason given was: No clicks, no sales, no response to email"

Some people will never get it, I guess.

Strange indeed, maybe it was the merchants decision to remove innactive affiliates

I applied and was auto approved on 9/25/2008.

I received a total of 4 emails from them excluding the cancellation.

One was where he terminated his OPM.

Oh well...

That's one of the last people I would expect to do something like this, especially after being so vocal when he's been on the receiving end of similar emails. There has to be more to this story.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The worst letter I got (from another program, not the one mentioned above) was the following:

"We want to let you know that you have been dropped from our program. This is not to say that your site has no value whatsoever."

Reassuring to hear that their's some slight chance your site might have a smidgen of value somewhere!
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    That's one of the last people I would expect to do something like this, especially after being so vocal when he's been on the receiving end of similar emails. There has to be more to this story.
    Maybe he just had a bad day...

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Why would I have links up that produce no clicks, much less sales?

Answer: To make my site much more extensive in scope to produce repeat visits. Lots of variety (diversity) as opposed to a just an extension of a single merchant or small group of merchants. I have one niche site with over 25 merchants, all within the niche. Would be nice if they all produced sales, and maybe they will someday if I can ever get the traffic. But for now they don't. Yes, this waters down the selling power for any one merchant but its what I need to do in order to have an edge. Otherwise, it's one sale and done.

This is another reason for going with SAS. Very few merchants drop you for low activity.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead

This is another reason for going with SAS. Very few merchants drop you for low activity.
    This happened on SAS.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    This happened on SAS.
    Wow, that is really unusual. I am trying to think of the last time a merchant dropped me at SAS. I am in programs I have not touched for years. CJ on the other hand . . . I get plenty of terminations.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Is it the same "Billy Kay" who used to be pretty active here? I read a nice interview about him on Revenue magazine years ago. I thought he is an affiliate.

If he become an affiliate manager now, he should know better it is not wise to terminate an affiliate for "no clicks, no sales" for only few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    So I emailed this response...
    Has he not responded to you?

I know he knows of the thread because he said he was banned (a lie) to someone who pointed him to the thread.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    Is it the same "Billy Kay" who used to be pretty active here? I read a nice interview about him on Revenue magazine years ago. I thought he is an affiliate.

If he become an affiliate manager now, he should know better it is not wise to terminate an affiliate for "no clicks, no sales" for only few months.
    Same Billy Kay. He was very active here, as an affiliate, and then he started the site in question as a merchant, with Rolet (Aunesty) who also used to be very active here, as his OPM. He even did a paid announcement when he started his affiliate program. They started another site together, as some of you well know.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Has he not responded to you?

I know he knows of the thread because he said he was banned (a lie) to someone who pointed him to the thread.
    Yes -

Sorry, but 7 months without a click means you weren't serious. You're free to rejoin if you decide to promote the program.
    and a copy of part of the email sent 1/26/2009

Hi,

As I mentioned in my newsletter, I let Aunesty/Rolet go as our OPM, and I'm currently going thru each affiliate prior to handing over the reigns to the new OPM.

Can you tell us where our links are on your site? I can't seem to find them.

Thanks,
    Billy Kay
    Here's the actual email sent 1/26/2009.

Hi Everyone

Just a quick note to let you know about some changes. You can view it here:

<link to competing forum removed by Convergence>

1. I let Aunesty go as my OPM and there will be a 3 week period before the new affiliate manager is available.

2. During this time, I'll be visiting each affiliate site and probably contacting you asking where our links are... because, well... I can't seem to find them

3. I'm running a Valentine contest with a special coupon and special landing page. Details are available at:

<link to competing forum removed by Convergence>

4. If you need ANYTHING, even a special coupon, please contact me at
    <email link removed by Convergence>

5. Upcoming Holidays and Ocassions

St. Patricks Day is well covered on our sign site at

<link removed by Convergence>

and Valentine's Day is featured on our Crystal site at

<link removed by Convergence>

Thanks for partnering with us!

Regards,
    Billy Kay
    I didn't "reply" to that email, because we hadn't started promoting his products.

Case closed -

Yes, apparently the case is closed.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I'll have to send him a link to this thread:

What To Do With Inactive Affiliates

Or maybe one of these two:

New Trend - Keeping Just the Top Performing Affiliates

Some days, this business is... er... comical

It's amazing how quickly some people forget where they came from.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    WOW! I never expected to the name Billy Kay pop-up in this manner. That is one of the more shocking things I have seen on here in quite some time.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    "Sorry, but 7 months without a click means you weren't serious. You're free to rejoin if you decide to promote the program. "

If it is on AUTO approve, what is the point of terminating an affiliate?????

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Too bad we don't have a category for "Most Ironic Thread, Ever." This one would win hands down.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Too bad we don't have a category for "Most Ironic Thread, Ever." This one would win hands down.
    Indeed. If this post was made on or near April 1, I would have assumed it was a joke.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I can't / wouldn't comment regarding Billy as I hold him in high esteem and aside from his wacky sense of humor, he is a proficient guy on many levels; at least that is what he has told me on numerous occasions. But when he is not here to offer a reply, it's a one way conversation. That aside, it has been my observation over the years that once one who has been an affiliate (marketer/salesman) becomes a merchant,(business owner) their view of the other side of the tracks sometimes changes their view of where time and effort is best spent.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    How is somebody not putting up links, wasting anybody's time or effort?

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Trust, I'm not arguing whether it was a good or bad thing. Just citing the observation that views change depending on which side of the track a person is on.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast