15 years and counting
    Abusive Pending Sale Lock Date Extension
    I've a few merchants extending their lock dates 30 days. I can understand the reasons, trial offers, rental cars, extended warranties...
    But this morning I noticed a sale EXTENDED 4 MONTHS.
    The merchant is Linea Pelle.
    I had a look in the agreement. Nothing, not a word about extended lock dates.
    I went to the site and they have a normal 30 days warranty.

"Pending transactions are transactions that are awaiting confirmation from the merchant partner. You will see a "Lock Date" for each pending transaction. This represents the amount of time a merchant has to confirm the transaction."
    Today is 02/22/2009, Pending Sale: Lock Date: 06/22/2009
    I can expect to be paid on 07/20/2009. In JULY!!!
    The money is already in the merchant bank account. Where's my commission? Where did I agree to finance the merchant?
    Is Shareasale becoming like the other networks?
    What's the reason for not paying the affiliates for so long?

Is there a way for an affiliate to check the extended lock date policy? Don't you think it should be part of the agreement?

Time to find a new merchant or to try to educate this one.

I do agree that SAS should make it easy to identify these types of things in merchants. Perhaps they should indicate merchants who have utilized lock date extensions in the recent past and make it easy to see the average or default extension length.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    I don't know if the merchant can extend the lock date at will or if it's set by Shareasale. Anyway, I agree with you, the information needs to be available somewhere. I was not thinking of an average, why not.

Kiyonna does that too. 30 day return policy and 120 days lock date with nothing in the agreement. All I can figure is they want us to wait past their chargeback limits (?)
    I agree it is information that should be available before the agreement is accepted.

Ouch! And suppose they (or any merchant with a long lock date) terminate their program? They don't have to pay commissions?
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Ouch! And suppose they (or any merchant with a long lock date) terminate their program? They don't have to pay commissions?
    That's a risk we are taking without our full knowledge. During this time the money is not withdrawn from the merchant escrow account.

This problem was endemic in the last dot com meltdown ... Merchants extended the lock and bingo all of a sudden their programs closed and no one got paid ... this was the standard operating procedure on Linksuck and was a few other places.

We lost $100K worth of commissions owed ... and the networks said - oh it's not our fault ... luckily we got some of it back in court. But it was costly in time and effort.

I won't be long before this trick starts to proliferate again. Brian is caught between a rock and a hard place ... toolbars and underfunded merchants. Not good for us affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Even though they have it on hold status would SAS still not subtract the commision from their Balanace that they have at SAS so in 90 days say after the sale we still get paid our commision no matter if the company closes their program??? This is my understanding if not then this is a way for the merchants to get around the " Temp Offline" due to lack of funds problem!!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Agreed it should be part of the merchant information available to affiliates, we'll get it on there.

On the commission, unless it is voided you will receive that commission. Merchants that utilize pending sales must have that money available in their account...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Smile
    Doesnt SaS have a system were Merchants can talk xyz about Affiliates.. and give ratings etc

How about do the same but in reverse, let affiliates talk about merchants!

maybe this feature is already there ?!

*smiles*
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    On the commission, unless it is voided you will receive that commission. Merchants that utilize pending sales must have that money available in their account...
    Perfect Brian just as I thought (and hoped) thank you for replying to this on a Sunday !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magi
    Doesnt SaS have a system were Merchants can talk xyz about Affiliates.. and give ratings etc

How about do the same but in reverse, let affiliates talk about merchants!

maybe this feature is already there ?!

*smiles*
    I think ABW is a much better venue for that. All the information on a variety of merchants regardless of network all in one place. This is the first place I check when looking at a new merchant or when I think somethings a little flaky.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    On a somewhat related question (since the potential problem is compounded when the lock is extended), do you have safeguards in place to prevent a merchant from just reversing all transactions? If a merchant were to reverse all transactions before shutting down their program, would you reinstate all of the reversed transactions? (I'm not saying it has ever happened or ever will, but I wouldn't put it past some merchants.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    I think ABW is a much better venue for that. All the information on a variety of merchants regardless of network all in one place. This is the first place I check when looking at a new merchant or when I think somethings a little flaky.
    -rematt
    That's the way to learn, too. It's hard to know everything.
    Kudos to Brian for answering questions on a Sunday.

this is a way for the merchants to get around the " Temp Offline" due to lack of funds problem!!
    Maybe it would also prevent their program from showing accurate reversal rates?

15 years and counting
    I've an other question.
    How are calculated 7 Day EPC and 30 day EPC? At the time of the sale or payment.
    It's linked also to the reversal rate.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread