PS format with html
    Hi all,

I just stumbled acrtoss PS, and very anxious to dive in. All of my sites are strictly html, so please forgive the dumb question here.

Although I cannot find it specifically stated, it appears that PS only works in a blog format, true ? Is there an way to incorporate PS into html pages ? I was hoping to be incorporate PS into a basic html table, picking similar or different products from different merchants. Am I heading to a dead end ?

Thanks !
    John

PS offers several ways to add a shop to html pages. The simplest is javascript but for better search engine results you can choose php or html shops. php is preferable because it is automatically updated via the PS interface. If you're on a windows server they offer other options.

If you can rename your html files to use the extension .php then you are good to go. Or sometimes you can parse php by adding to modrewrite

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .phtml .html

unless your server runs php as cgi. then there is a different way to get it to parse. One of things that varies with hosting setups.

Thanks, I'd much prefer the php, but will settle for html if I have to. I looked but do not see those options described on the PS site.

For some reason I didnt think I could have php file names on an html domain. Can I simply have some pages as html, and those with PS as php ?

And how can I tell if my host can handle the modrewrite ?

John

Options as to how you structure your site or name your files have little to do specifically with popshops.

However, when you put together a shop, you can place it on your site using a few different methods. The most popular method is using generated codes. (you will see this under the "Pop it in" tab when you build shops) This shop code can be in html, javascript, or php. html is a static shop, basically pasting products and descriptions. Javascript retrieves a fresh version of the shop, but many search engines do not crawl javascript. PHP is the most preferred version of the code since it is both dynamic and crawled by the search engines.

okay there are a few other formats... But lets not confuse things any further just yet.

Soooooo to use that php code, you need to have things lined up on your server so the php will parse. Usually just naming that pages file with the.php extension will do the trick. If you want to do that, enough said. Otherwise...pester the heck out of your host about it.

There are also some plugins available that work with different blogging scripts.
    Last edited by jazzylee77; February 24th, 2009 at 01:28 AM.

"Usually just naming that pages file with the.php extension will do the trick."

Just to make sure Im clear... so I can have a site (not a blog) based on html extensions, and also a random number of pages with php extensions ? If so , then issue solved. But I'm sure that somewhere I read you couldnt do this.

So for my 3-4 php pages, I assume I still need to add the modrewrite to my .htaccess file, correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by johncpu
    "Usually just naming that pages file with the.php extension will do the trick."

Just to make sure Im clear... so I can have a site (not a blog) based on html extensions, and also a random number of pages with php extensions ? If so , then issue solved. But I'm sure that somewhere I read you couldnt do this.

So for my 3-4 php pages, I assume I still need to add the modrewrite to my .htaccess file, correct ?
    No I doubt you will need to change your .htaccess file. I have sites with mixed html and php pages. Might not be good form, but it will work. You can always make a simple php page and test it.

try this

Create a file called info.php with this single line:

PHP Code:
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>
    upload it. browse to it and you should see some info. If so you will be ok with .php pages...usually

Thanks jazzylee ! Of the 3 hosts I use, it worked on one of them (I did not touch the htaccess file). Unfortunatley it's not the host I want to use.. lol. Perhaps if I put in the modrewrite for the other 2, the php it would work with tem a well ??

And if I went to a brand new host, is there something I could look for that would tell me the php extensions would work ?

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    if your web host doesn't allow you to make .php pages then it is time to get a new webhost.

A web host without PHP is like a television without color!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread