Different Memeber ID Versus Account ID for the same account?
    For my CJ account-- the member ID that CJ uses for links is different than the account ID. Do you know if this is how they are doing their internal accounting -- or could this account for why I believe my stats look inaccurate?

Regina Thomas-- Q...

http and a telephoto
    You can set up many websites to have individual linking IDs, they will all track to your main member ID. If you are using your Member or Account ID instead of your website PID your links won't track. When you create links they will have the correct ID in them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks Loxly.

I have set up the links correctly for my individual sites. I have even inserted the correct tracking images with the references to the correct sites in the web services feed that is not providing the data.

My concern is really why there is a member ID and an account ID? I am a programmer so this looks odd to me. It could be merging of affiliate programs, but normally this is handled differently.

Why would there be two different numbers? Do you have an account number and a different member id?

Q...
    Last edited by QiSoftware; February 23rd, 2009 at 11:53 AM.

Lightbulb
    I was issued an account number when I joined years ago. I have made sure I have a unique ID number for links on each of my several sites.

http and a telephoto
    You may not like the system, but it's CJ's system and always has been It is great for tracking between different websites when you have more than one.

Here at ABW we may not know the "why" but we know the "how". I don't think CJ will come explain the "why" part because probably the people that built the system didn't bother to explain it to anyone that is currently there
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    FORGET about the number in your browser - the ONLY ids that matter are your PIDs for each website, and to a lessor extent, the member number shown on the upper right of the account manager.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by QiSoftware
    My concern is really why there is a member ID and an account ID? I am a programmer so this looks odd to me. It could be merging of affiliate programs, but normally this is handled differently.

Why would there be two different numbers? Do you have an account number and a different member id?
    Q...
    From a programming point, this makes absolutely perfect sense. If you have several members, but each member has several accounts, you have to be able to associate the individual accounts to each member.

Perhaps, you are thinking about this from the point of view of having only one website. If every member only had one website, then it would make sense that the two numbers would match. And in the beginning that may have been true. Member Number 1 may have PID number 1. But as more members joined and some needed additional PID numbers to associate with different websites the number of PIDs exceed the number of members.

Like at a bank. If you had only one member number, how would you differentiate between your checking account, savings account, and credit card account if they didn't have different numbers? You are one account holder with several accounts.

Same thing with CJ. There are affiliates who literally have over 100 websites. They want to be able to tell which websites are producing income. In order to do that, they have to use a different number to track each website. The alternative would be a nightmare because they would have set up a separate login and account for each website. Then they would have to worry about the websites that don't perform making minimums in order to get paid. For example, say you have only two websites. One has been out there for years, and is producing a healthy steady income. But then you start the second website, but it is only producing $3 per month for the first few months. If you had a separate account for that website you risk having the account closed for not producing enough, and losing the little income you generated. If the second website's earnings are combined with the first website's earnings, then you get paid for all your efforts.

Tracy, good info, but that's not what he's talking about. Look at the screenshot in Post #3, or look at your account manager: Account No. on upper right is different than member id in the url shown in the brower, and neither relates to website PIDs.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Yes, Tracy... I see your point about different members being associated with one account. I work alone. Great point. Logon information for member would be different but link to the same overall account?

Q...

Quote Originally Posted by QiSoftware
    Yes, Tracy... I see your point about different members being associated with one account. I work alone. Great point. Logon information for member would be different but link to the same overall account?

Q...
    Correct. If you have more than one website, and you want to know how much income each is producing, you need to create a new PID number for each website. If you don't care to know how much each site is producing individually, you can use one PID for all your websites.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Tracy, good info, but that's not what he's talking about. Look at the screenshot in Post #3, or look at your account manager: Account No. on upper right is different than member id in the url shown in the brower, and neither relates to website PIDs.
    Okay, I looked at mine, and you're right. The number in the URL does not match my account number. But, so what? All that means is that CJ has an internal method of directing us to information about our account. What do we care how they do that, as long as it works? Neither number should be used when setting up links. Only the PID number is important for creating links.

Everybody should be aware of how to create links correctly and use the PID number, not their Account Number, when creating links. As long as we all know that, we should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Okay, I looked at mine, and you're right. The number in the URL does not match my account number. But, so what? All that means is that CJ has an internal method of directing us to information about our account. What do we care how they do that, as long as it works? Neither number should be used when setting up links. Only the PID number is important for creating links.

Everybody should be aware of how to create links correctly and use the PID number, not their Account Number, when creating links. As long as we all know that, we should be okay.
    Like I said in Post #6 above.

(but I have always wondered why CJ would assign each account two different, but similar, numbers, even for some unknown internal system.)

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    (but I have always wondered why CJ would assign each account two different, but similar, numbers, even for some unknown internal system.)
    Based on an answer to this question in another forum, it seems like the number in the address correlates with the login for the account, and not the account number. Publisher accounts can have multiple logins and access levels for each login, and each login has its unique number in the address.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Based on an answer to this question in another forum, it seems like the number in the address correlates with the login for the account, and not the account number. Publisher accounts can have multiple logins and access levels for each login, and each login has its unique number in the address.
    Thanks for the info - that does makes sense.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread