Adsense along side your affiliate links.. yay or nay?!

I'm sure some have experimented, is it a good or bad thing? do people like to leave your site through them if they don't find what they like?

I have yet to aquire any real traffic besides PPC(comon google index!) but my small sample test shows about 1/3 of my traffic leaving through the adsense.. 1/3 to affiliate links I targetted with PPC.. and 1/3 I guess leaving in other ways(all estimates based on CTR numbers from adwords/aff merchant targeted/adsense).

The thing is I designed my site with the intention of adding adsense but am not totally sure if it's hurting or helping me gain what small money I happen to be earning.. in theory if all those adsense clicks went through to the merchant instead and followed the same average sale pattern(per hundred clicks) I may have made more money.

... back to planning my valentine pages, and finding a way out of procrastination mode

ABW Ambassador
    Depends on what i am selling, small ticket items - where ebay links exist, sure. Big ticket items, nope.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Due to Adsense's lack of detailed reports to know where your clicks are coming/going and how much you get paid for each, it is impossible to do a truly scientific test to determine when and where you should use it. BUT...if you use this simple formula, you won't have to stress out about where you are placing your adsense code:

First: determine the average $cents you make per click from adsense.

Second: determine the average $cents per click you get from links on the page in question.

Compare the two, and the decision as to whether to use adsense on a particular page or not is easy.

If it's a close call, put the adsense code at the bottom of the page to mazimise the potential of your commission-paying links. If the adsense pays more than the commissionable links do, then put the adsense code at the top of the page to maximise adsense revenue potential.

This system is a bit oversimplified of course, but doing it this way you'll be on the high road more often than not.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

I use them pretty selectively, too.

Several situations where I think it adds value:

1) If I know it's a low-EPC merchant (lower than what I net from AdSense), I don't mind running an AdSense banner.

2) If I know I'm promoting the best price, I love to run an AdSense banner. It helps reinforce how good of a deal I've found.

3) If I know that most of the traffic to the page is already coming from Google, the AdSense banner just seems like gravy. They're sending me the traffic for free and I'm getting paid to send it back to them. Can't beat that.

Times when I don't like to run AdSense:

1) If the product or merchant earns a really good EPC.

2) If a lot of my competition would appear in the ads.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

For the last few months I've been experimenting with Adsense at the bottom of pages on one of my sites, switching the ads on and off randomly, and what I've seen so far is no difference to click throughs whether Adsense is there or not. It seems likely that the ads are being clicked on by people who do not want what I have to offer, and on that basis, as I'm going to lose them anyway...

“There are only two settings, stun and kill...it would be best not to confuse them.”
    --Malcom Reed

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by usefulwebs:
    It seems likely that the ads are being clicked on by people who do not want what I have to offer, and on that basis, as I'm going to lose them anyway...

--Malcom Reed<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, I have them one one site and see no difference.

I would only receommend using Adsense on sites where you know you dont care if you loose a customer, becuase that's what happens, even though we still make money with Adsense but in the end IT IS competition for your site or pages where you have it.

I have found that clicks on Adsense links would not have generated a sale on my site. So, I get the surfer where they think they want to be.

and get a little for my efforts.

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

I host all my sites in the UK, and this means that sometimes I get traffic from google.co.uk which is specifically looking for UK products, but it ends up on a US page. AdSense can then serve relevant UK ads to the visitors so that they have something useful to go and click on.

(If I was really clever I could geotarget the AdSense ads so they wouldn't display for US visitors)

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    For most items, I have had no advere effect from running AdSense. And I don't mean at the bottom of the page, but prominently!

There is one exception, though. It killed sales Dead for a certain LS jewelry merchant. But, I also noticed a decent rise in AdSense money when I put it on those pages--enough to make up for the lost sales, but probably not more.

Other products seem to be unharmed by the presence of AdSense.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread