Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Look like Yahoo has updated it to 2004 but Google still stick to 2003.

What about you?

Should i put 2003-2004 or just 2004?

ABW Ambassador
    Is it time to change from 2002 already??

Do you really need to change it yearly? (serious question, here).

I have 1996 since that was the year the site was developed. Never considered changing it.

Mine has 1999 - 2004... I am a fossil online!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ABW Ambassador
    I changed mine to 2004 about half a year ago, trying to plan ahead

I work in lounge pants

Google lists only the current year in their notice. Personally, it gives me something to do once a year. LOL!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I knew there was something I forgot

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    On some sites I use the copyright years, on others just All rights reserved.

Google put © 2003 instead of © 1995-2003 because that will save them 5 bytes. They always think of ways to reduce their file size didn't they?

DOH! Thank god for server side includes.

Just took 1 minute to updated mine! Yeah, I use PHP include.

ABW Ambassador
    I never update mine, it is set to do that automatically.

IamJaloppy

A little javascript automatically updates mine.

Shouldn't the copyright year should match the year the document was created or last edited?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Shouldn't the copyright year should match the year the document was created or last edited?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think it matters all that much, your stuff is yours regardless of whether you put the notice on a page or whether it's this year or not. That said, I use a .gif and just upload a new identically sized one with the new year in it.

I like having the old year to show the site has been around awhile.

Excellent example of why I LOVE ABW!

I forgot and am now re propagating pages Thank goodness for database driven sites and SSI.

THANKS ABW for Gathering SMART PEOPLE in one place!

SandraR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Shouldn't the copyright year should match the year the document was created or last edited?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought. Hence, mine is still 1996. Looking at that though, some might think that was the last time I used it. Maybe I'll put 1996 - 2004.

Heck..doesn't matter...people just steal my stuff anyway

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Have you changed footer from © 2003 to © 2004? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll probably bother with that in a week or so. No big hurry! I mainly bother to keep it from seeming like the site hasn't been updated in years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hence, mine is still 1996. Looking at that though, some might think that was the last time I used it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's always what I think when I see such old dates...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hence, mine is still 1996. Looking at that though, some might think that was the last time I used it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's always what I think when I see such old dates...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too...now! Never thought of it like that before this thread but now it's all I can think of.

I like the idea of the gif.. when I first made my pages I made most of the pages static and now that they're all indexed with a PR of 3 or 4 I don't want to switch to another format such as SSI or PHP for includes and lose it for however long it takes google to see the change.

All new pages I make are such that I can use php, ssi, static, or asp with the option of switching between each type with no change in PR

But yeah I changed to 2003 - 2004.

What are you talking about. to change to an ssi option you do not need to change the format.

People Geeezeeee

Apache Directives:

AddHandler server-parsed .shtml .html .htm
    AddType text/html .shtml .html .htm

SandraR

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Thanks for the reminder.

Heyder Quote: "Shouldn't the copyright year should match the year the document was created or last edited?"

It is supposed to mean that, but back in the book, paper world, online it's really only so that your cust's can see you have new products, content, etc., and perhaps have been around a few years. Unless you have name recognition like Yahoo, Google then you only neeed "2004", Period

Legally does not really matter online, since people copy your site and steal your money with parasites at the same time.

I use Copyright © 2002 - 2004 ------------.com All Rights Reserved. At least it scares those that don't know the requirements and dont read the law below.

From copyright.gov

The use of a copyright notice is no longer required under U.S. law, although it is often beneficial. Because prior law did contain such a requirement, however, the use of notice is still relevant to the copyright status of older works. read more...notrequired

What is a copyright notice? How do I put a copyright notice on my work?
    A copyright notice is an identifier placed on copies of the work to inform the world of copyright ownership that generally consists of the symbol or word “copyright (or copr.),” the name of the copyright owner, and the year of first publication, e.g., ©2003 John Doe. While use of a copyright notice was once required as a condition of copyright protection, it is now optional. Use of the notice is the responsibility of the copyright owner and does not require advance permission from, or registration with, the Copyright Office. See Circular 3, Copyright Notice, for requirements for works published before March 1, 1989, and for more information on the form and position of the copyright notice. read more... copyrights

I'm aware of the htaccess options to parse html and may add it if my host would allow(I'm at under a dozen pages so it's not a big deal YET). I do like my new site structure though.. clean bookmarks and all

I've read that adding html to the parsing may add to cpu overhead, these shared hosting providers can be really picky about that sort of thing(especially message boards) due to hundreds of other sites being on the same server.

As for copyright notice, that may be the case for US law but I add them to pages to cover other countries that would abide by it. If someone is out to steal your content it's not going to stop them initially anyways.

There's also that bit about websites not being a proper entity to identify as the copyright holder unless it is also your business name.. something like that.. so I use my real name next to the copyright notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast