Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    What is the reason to switch to digital signal?
    I have never heard an explanation as to why the government is requiring stations to stop broadcasting in analog and solely broadcast in digital? I realize digital is better, but I must be missing the motivation or benefit to require this change.

Does the analog harm the environment more than the digital signal?

Maybe it's part of the stimulus package?
    They hope people will buy more high definition TVs?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

The reason given in here the UK is analogue singals take up a wide spectrum in the available bandwidth. Digital can be broadcast on narrower frequencies without crossing over wider bandwidths.

Once the analogue frequencies have been freed up the Gov intends to auction these frequences in the same way they did with the 3G bandwidths for mobile phones making them a few billion in the process.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Maybe it's part of the stimulus package?
    They hope people will buy more high definition TVs?
    The federal law requiring the conversion was passed by Congress in 2005 - would not discount a motive of corporate profit for cronies and donors.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markschok
    The reason given in here the UK is analogue singals take up a wide spectrum in the available bandwidth. Digital can be broadcast on narrower frequencies without crossing over wider bandwidths.

Once the analogue frequencies have been freed up the Gov intends to auction these frequences in the same way they did with the 3G bandwidths for mobile phones making them a few billion in the process.
    Same reason basically in the US - running out of signals on the lower frequencies...

But damn the picture is incredible - my Analog TV died on Friday the 13th of this month - went out and bought a HD - DAMN. Now I want to go up another notch and also get a Blu-Ray player along with a device called "Popcorn" to stream media to the TV wirelessly.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by markschok

From what I understand, that's it exactly - both parts, freeing up a lot of bandwidth and spreading the wealth around (so to speak).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I recall hearing something about the switch being to "free up" some signal frequencies to be utilized by improved emergency responder services, i.e., 911 centers, as at least part of the reason.

I Googled "reason for dtv switch" and found at least one story reported by a Texas TV station saying it had to do with more frequencies for emergency responders, with extensive quotations by a local fire chief as to that effect.

Perhaps some profit motive way beyond that is involved, but everything I have heard relates to this improvement in emergency response mainly.

My mistake above: The article I read from the Google search was by a Tucson, Arizona, TV station, not Texas.
    Last edited by writerguy; February 24th, 2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: To correct error -- it was a Tucson Arizona TV station
    Generate more fake news.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I have never heard an explanation as to why the government is requiring stations to stop broadcasting in analog and solely broadcast in digital? I realize digital is better, but I must be missing the motivation or benefit to require this change.
    So the government can keep an eye on you! See http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=116570
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    What is the reason to switch to digital signal?

Does the analog harm the environment more than the digital signal?
    The reason is just to keep an eye on you, SeymourButts activities!
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=116570

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    Same reason basically in the US - running out of signals on the lower frequencies...

But damn the picture is incredible - my Analog TV died on Friday the 13th of this month - went out and bought a HD - DAMN. Now I want to go up another notch and also get a Blu-Ray player along with a device called "Popcorn" to stream media to the TV wirelessly.
    Take it or leave it, but here is a good inside tip...

Wait until 2011 and buy a 3DHDTV, or just wait until 2012 and buy a real HDVRTV (High Definition Virtual Reality TV)

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I think if anyone really researched this issue, it would be clear that the dominant purpose is economic.

The law, the "Digital Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005" (actually part of the "Deficit Reduction Act of 2005") had its beginnings during the George H W Bush adm., when Congress became interested in Japanese technology advances in HDTV, and that led to the introduction of the ill-fated "High Definition Television Development Act of 1989", a fore-runner of much of the 2005 law. That earlier bill stated in part:

"Government action and industry cooperation are necessary to insure that domestic industries engage in long term high definition television research and development and manufacture of high definition television products and related technologies [and] it is necessary for the Congress to take the actions required by this act to encourage and facilitate the development and manufacture of domestically-produced high definition television technologies."

Little, if any, formal action was proposed during the Clinton years, but with Bush 43 and his Congress, the issue, and purposes, were re-visited, and the 2005 bill passed.

Yes, technology advanced greatly from 1989 to 2005, but while a less business-friendly Congress failed to pass the 1989 bill, the 2005 bill, that included a serious economic burden on the treasury with its requirement of a $1.5 billion converter box subsidy, sailed through the pro-business, no-regulation Congress of the mid-2000s.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    The reason is just to keep an eye on you, SeymourButts activities!
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=116570
    That makes sense because I know everyone wants to see my butts!

Love the variety of channels with the converter box

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Did notice last night that the HD channels are behind the analog signal by about two seconds or so.

Had turned the TV on in the bedroom (analog) and went into the living room (digital) to turn that TV off - I thought I was losing my mind - but nope - there is a lag.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread