Datafeed images- hosting locally?
    Does anyone know of a script or method to rename/cloak/cache datafeed images on my site datafeed image urls to make them unique?

e.g.
    A link on mysite.com/images/product181.jpg is way more unique than

theirsite.com/images/thisimage.jpg which everyone is using & would set off dup content filters......

Is this possible with a script instead of downloading & renaming 10,000 images?

http and a telephoto
    Not sure why all the threads about hosting images locally all of a sudden, but here is another reminder that you need to check with the merchant about locally hosting product images or other banners/creatives. Some do NOT allow it. Others won't care. But you need to find out before you take the time to do it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

If there is another way around it (eg cloaking the link). I'm all for it....

I really don't want to host locally...but, if there are 100 sites all with the same imagelink with the same text,

1.How hard is it to figure out that it's an affiliate site in general (both visitors/and SE)

2.How easy is it to trip a dup. content filter?

Seems like a big hurdle....

ABW Ambassador
    The image shouldn't be an issue. The content is what triggers the duplicate content filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    The image shouldn't be an issue. The content is what triggers the duplicate content filters.
    Maybe this is a bit "off topic," if so, mods, just delete this. But -- has anyone doing datafeed affiliate sites seen evidence that using datafeeds is a duplicate content issue or whatever? I would be interested in knowing.

I have several datafeed driven sites, and I'm not aware of any dup content issues. But then, I'm not sure I'd really recognize a "duplicate content filter" whacking one of my sites if I saw it.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Maybe this is a bit "off topic," if so, mods, just delete this. But -- has anyone doing datafeed affiliate sites seen evidence that using datafeeds is a duplicate content issue or whatever? I would be interested in knowing.

I have several datafeed driven sites, and I'm not aware of any dup content issues. But then, I'm not sure I'd really recognize a "duplicate content filter" whacking one of my sites if I saw it.

If you created a page with only content from a datafeed, then you would get a dup content penalty. In effect, you would be creating an identical page that any affiliate could create (and they do)

However, if you add the datafeed content to a page that has other content on it, you should be ok, as long as you present the data in a way that is different

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    If you created a page with only content from a datafeed, then you would get a dup content penalty. In effect, you would be creating an identical page that any affiliate could create (and they do)

However, if you add the datafeed content to a page that has other content on it, you should be ok, as long as you present the data in a way that is different
    Thanks, Julian. After posting above, I did a search and found this link on the Google Webmaster Central blog that discusses the matter of "duplicate content penalty" and how it applies. That link, too, specifically mentions the issues you did above regarding affilate sites.

Very helpful.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    Images shouldn't trip any duplicate content filters, people hotlink to images on other sites all the time.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    In answer to your other question, how hard is it for SEs to figure out it's an affiliate site: You don't have a shopping cart on your site = you are an affiliate site.

The question is "do they care". As long as you provide a value add, no they don't care. If you just slap up a feed with no added value... they care.
    Deborah Carney

Great replies...but a lot of my data says, yes, they do care...it makes sense...if they see aff links all over your site (or merchant image links)-would they really want to rank it?

After all, what about the SE ads..

SE tech is pretty advanced these days...and affiliate image links would be a trivial thing to detect

http and a telephoto
    I'm not going to continue to attempt to change your mind, but I did run a very large affiliate program that absolutely does not allow you to host their product images on your own website.

The product image links are irrelevant. Affiliate links are relevant.

I don't know your background, and you don't know mine, but you should understand that yes I know a thing or two about SE strategies, and I know even more about things that are allowed, or not allowed, by merchants. And I know a heck of a lot about online images.

If you think hiding where the images are coming from and cloaking the links on your site keeps any search engines from figuring out if you are an affiliate site or not, you are wrong. The search engines know. They can tell that you aren't the merchant.

What the search engines *do* look for is whether your affiliate site adds some value to the shopping experience. As alluded to above. If you slap up a datafeed, with the images hosted on your own site, it is *still* a datafeed with no value added. If you instead incorporate a datafeed into a site that has reviews, presell and relevant content surrounding the datafeed, the search engines won't care one bit that your site has affiliate links.
    Last edited by loxly; February 26th, 2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: futher clarification
    Deborah Carney

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread