Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Just an observation and suggestion:

To those merchants that just send email just for the heck of it please read. I received this email an hour ago its the second time from same merchant in less than 60 days. Names removed to protect the innocent.

Here's how it starts:

-----Original Message-----
    [mailto:xxxx@xxxx.com]
    Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 7:42 PM
    To: xxxx@xxxxx.com
    Subject: Temporary Remove Notification

Dear xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx:

We regret to inform you that xxxxxxx has removed you from its Affiliate Program. We are streamlining our affiliate program and are removing affiliates who have not posted our links and banners. Over the last three months we have sent many emails regarding our "house cleaning".

We have attempted to remove only the affiliates who have not posted our links, but we do recognize that this process may not be 100% correct. If you find that you have been removed from our program, but have posted our links, sent us clicks or sent us sales, please email me at the address below, and I will reinstate you within 24 hours.

Thank you for working with xxxxxxxxxxx!

xxxxx xxxxxxx
    Affiliate Program Manager
    xxxxxxx xxxxxx
    p. xxx-xxx-xxxx
    f. xxx-xxx-xxxx
    c. xxx-xxx-xxxx
    xxxx@xxxx.com
    xxxxxxx.com

My immediate reply:

Hi xxx,

1 - Yes, we are still adding links and banners to our sites, but we do have a banner (skyscraper) on this page xxxxxxx.com/xxx.html left hand side.

2 - I believe this might be the second email in less than 60 days in reference to removal before verifying if any links exist. Just a suggestion, during the time that we are deactivated a potential customer might visit our site then click-through to your site from a banner or link and see this message: "You have clicked on a link that has expired or been deactivated. The link was used to facilitate relationships between merchant and affiliate members of the xxxxxxx Network. We apologize for any inconvenience.

xxxxxxx Corporation develops technology to manage and support affiliate marketing programs for companies doing business on the Web. Our programs provide Web-based marketplaces where online merchants and other businesses may create and manage performance-based marketing partnerships on the Web. Visit us at xxxxxxx.com for more information."

I don't think this type of message makes us, and I mean my website look good, I think it sends the wrong message to the customer that we were canceled or that we did something wrong, only to later be back on 24 hours later, well perhaps I probably lost a future visitor and you might have lost a customer because he/she does not trust my banners or that links will work, etc.

I look at it from a customer point of view, once a customer sees this, they will just go away and go on to next search engine, click-through or where ever they came from, we both loose.

I know its policy and good business to weed out the bad guys or sites that have not made any sales, but we are in this together and perhaps a policy change as to sending an email first before deactivation will help all of us.

3 - Since your last post on on ABW on datafeeds has this changed, do you provide any feeds now. (removed ABW post, but basicaly it said no datafeeds availbale for free, you had to pay for it)

Please don't take my email above as being mad or personal or making your life impossible, just thinking maybe a better way for future deactivation notices, not only from you from xxxxxxx or other merchants and networks too.

Thanks again,

xxx xxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

Am I wrong in asking for this? Am I being too harsh?

I do like to receive and give chances, but pretty soon we start feeling like I did do something wrong, which I didn't, so in order to keep the sanity, I'll just remove everything myself on the 3rd same email.

_____________________________________________________________________________
    My slogan says: "A market for everything", Yeah, except "deactivated House Cleaners.

[This message was edited by jrami on January 05, 2004 at 09:27 PM.]

please re-insert the merchant name so we can avoid them

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

web_novice,

For some unknown reason on this board everyone comes up with some excuse as to why they will not give up the merchants name. Granted as time goes by many of us start to complain about the merchant but no one is willing to HELP. Not even in a PM.

Yah, yah, yah, lawsuits and all kinds of CRAP excuses come up. If you are stating a fact; it’s a fact! The problem keeps happening, we are stuck in an endless cycle of repetitive whining and complaining.

Once we are SCREWED we should share it with everyone and prevent the problem from happening again.

Help each other? Not on this board! Better to make everyone guess.

SandraR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, lawsuits and all kinds of CRAP excuses come up. If you are stating a fact; it’s a fact! The problem keeps happening, we are stuck in an endless cycle of repetitive whining and complaining.

Once we are SCREWED we should share it with everyone and prevent the problem from happening again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, out the bums!

It's been proven that I'm not going to let any identifiable information about any member out so no worries there.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Hello web_novice, SandraR, others,

Why do you assume I am complaining or whining, or even afraid of lawsuits.

I did not see the point in stating their name since the only thing this merchant did wrong so far was not send an email first to see if I had any links before removing me. Yes, their policy is abd descision making but I don't think I should bad mouth them yet.

I believe that if they sent me this letter then others, maybe only a few here, got this letter too and would know who I meant.

If I make their name public some here might complain or state that they do business with them and have no problem with them, etc. and then start a fight and a long thread getting mad with me.

My post was to make a suggestion so that merchants get an idea and send out verification emails before removing affiliates and having dead links for 24 hours.

Now, don't get me wrong I will post their name and remove THEM myself depending on their reply back to me.

If the majority really wants to know then i won't keep you guessing long.

My slogan says: "A market for everything", Yeah, except "drive-by crooks".

Well you go ahead and profligate there bad behavior. But please keep your childish posts to yourself. Your post is not helping anyone, if you think posting a cryptic message to find other possible individuals similar to your situation helps anyone, you are very mistaken.

In fact you are being irresponsible by not warning others.

Affiliate marketing is a serious business and childish behavior such as your recent reply should be ignored.

SandraR

coldwatercreek

<a href="http://www.link4shop.com>Link4shop.com</a>

Well, I guess YOU are wrong, SandraR,

You are already calling me names and if you notice in my suggestion (I don't think this type of message makes us it's meant for all of us.

---
    In fact you are being irresponsible by not warning others.
    ---

Isn't this what I was trying to do here as a message to the merchants so that they don't do this any more.

I think I was trying to help YOU and others, but you just proved my point, you are calling me names and insulting me with no reason.

Why can't you see the benefit in my post as being responsible enough as to not post names of merchants but at least making a puplic statement that can benefit you too in the long run.

Maybe you are the one being "irresponsible" with attacking an ABW member without even knowing me personally or how I might help you in the future.

Is this what you call helping a friend, when you are attacking me and I've never met you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shman:
    coldwatercreek<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks shman. Most helpful information!

SandraR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shman:
    coldwatercreek<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks shman. Most helpful information!

http://www.ssan.comhttp://www.artgoo...oon_avatar.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, how was that most helpful to you. Are you going to remove them from your site now, or does'nt matter to you, since they did not send you a letter, or it's not really affecting you right now.

Can't wait for your post that you removed them from your site?.....

I will congratulate you and from then on tell you everything you need to know.

jrami,

Remember, affiliates will judge merchants by their actions/decisions, and trends of thereof -- The big picture will be seen!

Although this individual event may not be a reason to drop the merchant, but in conjunction with X, Y and Z prior events it may be time to do just that ... that's the beauty of documentation.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Thank you Haiko,

I am now going to review stats and keep a watchful eye on there movements. If I do receive such a letter I will immediately make contact with their AM and have a chat, then go on to explain the ramifications of such a letter.

I would attempt to explain how prior notification could obtain a more beneficial action by all involved.

SandraR

ABW Ambassador
    There are always people who try to silence the truth for one reason or another... that's the only possibility I can think of for keeping certain information to yourself... If you don't give them a name, they have no bandwagon to jump on... That's not how I am, as I think the truth ought to be known, but I see it all the time!
    It's funny how someone can say Merchant ABC did this or that & then anyone who does well w/ that merchant, or has something to lose, will jump on your back and try to discredit anything you say... So, I can see why some may not want to out a merchant so quickly. Again, I don't think it should be that way...facts are facts!

Edited to add:
    It can work both ways... I'm sure we've all seen someone out a company just to have someone else w/ a personal vendetta, or a bug (or bird) up their ass take away from the validity of your post just to restate their same tired defamatory comments.

Die Parasites Die!!

[This message was edited by Celicaphile on January 06, 2004 at 03:00 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If I make their name public some here might complain or state that they do business with them and have no problem with them, etc. and then start a fight and a long thread getting mad with me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people are just too sensitive.

This message board would have no purpose if we didn't use names.

Should we stop using names for GOOD comments too?

I got the exact same letter from Coldwater Creek.

<P class=sig align=left><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=red size=4>Diane
    </FONT><FONT face="Times New Roman,Times,Serif"><FONT color=purple>Interested in Philosophy? Visit my forum: </FONT><FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality &amp; Kabbalah</FONT></FONT></P>

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread