More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Isn't Autodeposit Supposed to Prevent Temp Offline?
    I have a merchant that has autodeposit that is now offline. Isn't autodeposit supposed to prevent this?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I think most of us probably assumed it but umm unfortunately it's not the case. From what I understand when a merchant goes to the "low funds" status they're supposed to get an email informing them of that and I think when they go offline they're also supposed to get an email.

Sometimes they may get a really big sale and just not have enough money in their account which makes them go offline or guess could be just a teeny sale but if they're close to bein low it could still make them go offline.

Whenever I spot one of my merchants I send em a little note inside the SAS interface to let em know. Sometimes I never hear back (which....definitely don't take as too positive a sign lol ) most times tho I do hear back and they'll quickly put more money into their account. If this happens a whole lotta times tho I remove em from my site. (there's one right now that's uhhhh bordering on gettin removed. Been reaaaaallly patient but once more offline and they're goin offline on my site)

Not sure if this could be the same merchant as you have in this case but one of mine recently went offline. I wrote her and she wrote back thanking me telling me she definitely didn't think that was supposed to happen cos she was on Auto deposit. She said she had contacted SAS to find out why. I had explained to her the same as I just told you. Thought that meant she'd be back online but just checked today and she's still offline. Guess will wait til tomorrow then contact her again. Don't know if she's just not aware of what to do??

Anyway..... definitely not the case that we can assume we won't have a problem even if they are on auto deposit.

Forgot to say: She told me she never received any email. Have no reason to doubt she was tellin me the truth so don't know why she didn't receive an email.
    Last edited by purplebear; March 1st, 2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: forgot to add

This post, http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...&postcount=125, from Celebrate Express indicates one of the issues. The credit card processing takes a couple of hours? Maybe it is not automated?

Outsourced Program Manager
    yes, it SHOULD prevent going offline, especially since you can put in a second, backup credit card. it usually works perfectly. once it didn't and I asked why. never got an answer.
    Jack Kotowski • Certified Affiliate Manager • OPM/Agency - program details: ABestWeb Forum of JackMarketing
    Managing affiliate programs since 1997 | Google Profile - JackMarketing
    Built Zappos.com to #1!! • JackMarketing on Twitter and other social media networks • Inquiries: www.JackMarketing.com

I only have my Pocket PC right now (at the beach). However, it looks like yesterday's email timestamps between the low balance warning and the auto-deposit confirmation show them less than 60 seconds apart.
    Jack Kotowski • Certified Affiliate Manager • OPM/Agency - program details: ABestWeb Forum of JackMarketing
    Managing affiliate programs since 1997 | Google Profile - JackMarketing
    Built Zappos.com to #1!! • JackMarketing on Twitter and other social media networks • Inquiries: www.JackMarketing.com

http and a telephoto
    Lots of reasons why you can still go offline when you are on Auto Deposit, I've posted about this quite a bit when I was running programs that had very large sales and the merchant didn't have a big enough deposit or a high enough warning level.

If you have a sale that the commission puts your merchant account negative, and you don't have a big enough auto deposit to cover BOTH the negative balance AND get you above your auto deposit trigger, you can go offline. The one thing I have requested is that if you drop that low Shareasale should keep hitting the auto deposit until it gets above the trigger. But that isn't the way it works now.

Merchants that go negative too often need to adjust their trigger AND their deposit amount to keep enough funding in their account. Many that are not auto deposit do a better job of staying online because they don't rely on Shareasale to trigger, they check manually often.

The other problem can be expired credit cards, or declined. Shareasale tries 3 times to get the funding, and it is immediate, there is no credit card processing delay.

Merchants *do* get the email, even though their account is on auto deposit, plus the emails that state success or failure of the deposit, so there is no excuse for a merchant not knowing they are offline or that they need to add funds.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The merchant and AM get one email notifying them they are low on funds.
    Then usually with 30 minutes another goes out telling them their account has been replenished (if they are on auto deposit).

BUT sometimes they credit card has expired!! We then get 3 notices telling us that they can not add money to the account and we need to go in and add manually.

So if this happens and everyone is asleep... it could take 6-12 hours till the Am or merchant knows their account was not auto-replenished.

No reason at all a Merhcnat should be off-line more than 12 hours and they can not "claim" they didn't know.

Unless they are on Vacation and no one is minding the store.....

Hope this helps
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

ooooh, not lookin good for me then lol This program just has the merchant managing her program and I've had several emails with her and thought her program was doin well, too. Least was one of the few for me that was lol (well fairly well for me..... isn't probably even on the radar for the rest of ya lol )

Wrote her on the 26th. She told me she never got any email, didn't understand how it could happen and thanked me for lettin her know. I believed her when she told me she contacted SAS and was giving them til tomorrow to get back to her. Why is it that this happens to the programs I do ok with? lol

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    It happened to us at HometownQuotes I think twice, both times due to credit card fraud that required us to change cards. When we closed one card, we would update as much stuff as possible, but sometimes forgot some vendors. If it happened on a weekend, we would probably go offline.

One suggestion (and this may be an option already that I just don't know about...Brian?) is to bill like we billed agents at HometownQuotes. We would bill them BEFORE they ran out of money. We allowed them to set the threshold. So let's say we deposit $5,000 in SAS and we typically spend $500 a day. I would want them to bill me when we have $1500 left (bill $3500). This way, if it is declined, I will get the email, but still have 3 days left to handle it.

Is that possible?
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

http and a telephoto
    You can set your trigger threshold to anything you want Matt, that is already in place. Whether you have autodeposit or not, you can set the amount for them to notify you your balance has dropped below.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    You can set your trigger threshold to anything you want Matt, that is already in place. Whether you have autodeposit or not, you can set the amount for them to notify you your balance has dropped below.
    thanks Lox! I will have to keep that in mind when I sign up with them again soon!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

This happens at CJ too. Some merchants are set up to get a call before they go "Deactive", yet the call never comes.

Post I made in the "Merchants that have gone offline" thread:
    Magazine Discount Center

is relevant to this thread. They are on automatic deposit but it means absolutely nothin. They've been offline 16 times just this year. Not gonna go rrrggghhh'ng anymore bout this and honestly do feel bad bout bad mouthin em. Maybe they will read the post tho and if are serious about their program will change. Gone thru toooooo many second chances tho for me tho.

Why I posted this tho: Just to let others know (specially any newbies)......Do not assume just cos a merchant is on Auto Deposit that they won't go offline. Some will and will uhhh do it quite often.

http and a telephoto
    And don't assume that because they *aren't* on autodeposit that they *will* go offline. Viator is *not* on autodeposit because of the way they handle the corporate finances, but I will say that I anticipate that they will *never* go offline because of the balance they keep on hand and because of the deposits they make well in advance of dipping below their own self imposed threshold.

There isn't any reason for a company with good cash flow to go offline for any reason. I stuck up for my merchants in the past if they went offline while they were getting established, but once established it is pretty clear how much they need to keep onhand to keep their programs online.
    Deborah Carney

One of my merchants was offline for a few days. I sent them an email notifying them and this is the response I got.

"Hello, sorry for some reason shareasale keep declining my card for no explainable reason. I will have the matter resolved very shortly. Thank you."

Brian any ideas what could cause this?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    i think VISA or MASTERCARD got their DB hacked or something. My gf, myself (personal cards) were issued new cards + a I'm sorry notice for security breach.

Everybody in my company got a new CC due to that reason.
    SAS attemp to charge 2-3 times using the old card, and failed. I changed the card last week but when i check the autodeposit, it was no longer valid or enabled.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by janew
    One of my merchants was offline for a few days. I sent them an email notifying them and this is the response I got.

"Hello, sorry for some reason shareasale keep declining my card for no explainable reason. I will have the matter resolved very shortly. Thank you."

Brian any ideas what could cause this?
    Sharesale doesn't decline cards, the credit card processing company declines cards... they need to check with their credit card company, not with Brian.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    SAS attemp to charge 2-3 times using the old card, and failed. I changed the card last week but when i check the autodeposit, it was no longer valid or enabled.
    After I changed the info for an expired card that had been declined, I also noticed that the autodeposit option got "turned off" and I had to go back in and re-enable it.
    Deborah Carney

Hi,

As a newbie merchant in the process of depositing funds with SAS my real concern is the auto funding.

We have no idea how much we are going to sell if anything but our real concern is using a UK issued CC with a USA CC Processor. High %age of failures when processing and cards being blocked by UK Issuers worrying about internet CC Fraud.

Will SAS allow payments to be made by PayPal?

Sean
    Affiliate Manager
    FD

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by sean_FD
    Hi,

As a newbie merchant in the process of depositing funds with SAS my real concern is the auto funding.

We have no idea how much we are going to sell if anything but our real concern is using a UK issued CC with a USA CC Processor. High %age of failures when processing and cards being blocked by UK Issuers worrying about internet CC Fraud.

Will SAS allow payments to be made by PayPal?

Sean
    Affiliate Manager
    FD
    You will need to watch how much you are spending and what your average commission is and just be sure you are depositing enough to cover if you are going to not be someplace to get the email warnings. You can make a deposit with PayPal but I don't think you can use it to fund autodeposits. You can do manual deposits with it. If you talk to Shareasale support they have suggestions for how much you should keep on hand. It's better to keep more than you think you need.
    Deborah Carney

Hi Loxly,

Thank you for your input.
    So far with SAS the comms have been pretty poor.

I can see SAS has a solid following so perserverance with them will be the answer I am sure.

As long as we can manually fund the account with PayPal I will be very happy. As for being out of communication that won't happen as one of my team will be there to manage any low funds emails.

Have a great day.

Sean_FD
    Affiliate Manager

I'm just about at the funding point (obstacles with testing the code and newly discovered downsides to using Paypal) so...

Autodeposit can only be done on SAS with credit card (or debit card that acts as credit card).

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Autodeposit is the best!

Just monitor it once in a while to make sure auto deposit button is checked off. If for some reason the funds are not added from the credit card it will place the auto deposit back to 'off'. So double check it's on and ready.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread