Ca. affiliate friendly thread possibility??
    Wanna say that I'm not from California or New York but am really sorry this might be gonna happen to you guys, too. I reaaaallly hope somehow you can stop it from happening but in case you're not able to, pretty sure it was Mellie who had made a thread for the NY affiliates and was thinking it might help you guys too to have the same type of thread.

What do you guys think about making a thread for the California affiliate friendly programs so if it does happen to ya, you'll have at least a little bit of an idea which merchants ya might be able to use to replace those ya might end up losing. Could save ya some time at least?

Was just a thought.. Hope it doesn't happen but just tryin to help since I know you guys are focusing your attention right now on tryin to stop it. This way if it was here now... by the time it might happen it might help some to already have the list.

If I shouldn't have posted this, please just delete it. Am just tryin to be helpful

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Wanna say that I'm not from California or New York but am really sorry this might be gonna happen to you guys, too. I reaaaallly hope somehow you can stop it from happening but in case you're not able to, pretty sure it was Mellie who had made a thread for the NY affiliates and was thinking it might help you guys too to have the same type of thread.

What do you guys think about making a thread for the California affiliate friendly programs so if it does happen to ya, you'll have at least a little bit of an idea which merchants ya might be able to use to replace those ya might end up losing. Could save ya some time at least?

Was just a thought.. Hope it doesn't happen but just tryin to help since I know you guys are focusing your attention right now on tryin to stop it. This way if it was here now... by the time it might happen it might help some to already have the list.

If I shouldn't have posted this, please just delete it. Am just tryin to be helpful
    No, this IS a good idea!

A start:

I know that the following merchants already collect California sales tax:

Cooking.com
    SurlaTable.com
    Target.com
    (Caveat: This is on the target.com site: "Target charges sales tax in all U.S. states other than Vermont. Amazon dot com at Target.com Inc. charges sales tax only on orders shipped to Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota and Washington." [It seems likely that they would add Ca to that list if the tax measure passes.])
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Oh good Thought maybe the affiliate managers could post or somethin cos I know the NY affiliates had said how hard or time consuming it was trying to find other merchants to replace, so thought this might help at least a little.

This is a good idea, but as a practical matter, it only makes sense to list merchants who already collect California sales tax.

Because AB 178 will almost certainly be amended (at least once, and perhaps several times) before enactment, and of course because it's not yet a law, it's impossible to evaluate any promises by merchants who don't collect California sales tax.

And merchants who currently have no policies excluding NY affiliates may simply rely on their knowledge of the sales volumes of their current affiliate base, or perhaps even on ignorance or misunderstanding of the NY law; such policies could change at any time.

I certainly would expect that any merchant not based in NY or CA who doesn't exclude NY affiliates will probably not exclude CA affiliates, unless the law is significantly different in some way, or unless the merchant's sales volume to California is significantly higher than to New York (which is certainly likely).

Note that merchants who already collect NY sales tax, who were never impacted by the New York law, might still exclude CA affiliates if AB 178 becomes law.

But I would be especially wary of merchants who currently accept NY affiliates only if they submit a signed agreement. There is no "certainty" that such signed documents provide any meaningful "safe haven," even in New York; since we still don't know how AB 178 will evolve, there might be more or less confidence in any "paper trail" process. And of course since there are likely to be many more California affiliates than New York affiliates, a California law might triple the paperwork volume, potentially making it unmanageable.

Bottom line: it certainly might be useful to list merchants who do already collect California sales taxes. (Since we expect similar bills to be introduced in other states, it probably makes more sense to identify all states for which each merchant currently collects sales tax.)

I think it would be less useful to list merchants who don't collect California sales taxes but pledge not to exclude California affiliates even if AB 178 passes; they could quite reasonably change their minds later.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    PrintPlace.com already collects sales tax in California, Texas, and soon NY as a third production facility comes online so there's no chance we'll be excluding any CA affiliates any time soon.

I also live here in CA so I wouldn't let that happen anyway

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    I also live here in CA so I wouldn't let that happen anyway
    You can state that, but unless you are the company owner you can't make that guarantee. There were companies that no one expected to kick out NY Affiliates that certainly did. Ones with very agressive proactive managers and others that were thought to already collect NYS sales tax. So as Mark said, you can really only guarantee companies that really do collect the CA tax via their online cart, and those that are exempt from sales tax.

Viator.com, one of my merchants, sells products that are not subject to sales tax, so we are safe.

Loxly Gallery, when it gets to the affiliate sales volume that requires it, will collect the sales taxes required.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I should have said that I will do everything in my power to not let that happen. Regardless, they already collect sales tax for CA though because they have physical nexus. So this bill would not necessarily affect them in that regard.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    I should have said that I will do everything in my power to not let that happen. Regardless, they already collect sales tax for CA though because they have physical nexus. So this bill would not necessarily affect them in that regard.
    That part was clear, just reminding folks that an OPM isn't always in control if that was NOT the case
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread