Sydney's Closet (SAS) promotes Affiliate Site on everypage.
    I was going to start promoting Sydney's Closet when I noticed they are promoting an affiliate site sowhatif .com on every page. I guessing that they own the affiliate site as will.

Very bad... looks like an attempt to monetize traffic.

You're either a merchant or affiliate. Can't be both.. I don't send my traffic to a merchant only to have it redirected to another affiliate site.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Registrant:
    Next Century Productions, Inc.
    11728 Holly Springs Drive
    St. Louis, Missouri 63146
    US

Registrar: DOTSTER
    Domain Name: SOWHATIF.COM
    Created on: 20-DEC-99
    Expires on: 20-DEC-09
    Last Updated on: 30-NOV-08

Administrative Contact:
    Librach, Phyllis phyllis@sydneyscloset.com
    Next Century Productions
    11840 Dorsett Road
    Maryland Heights, MO 63043
    US
    Last edited by Uncle Rico; March 2nd, 2009 at 12:18 PM.

Thought so I was just going to look at the WhoIs for their sites.

So their paying SAS a percentage of sales that they generate from their own affiliate Site when they are driving traffic back to their main site !!!

15 years and counting
    7 Day EPC $1.87 with an average 7 Day Avg. Sale of $210.66

Something is seriously wrong with this merchant. Not only they are stealing affiliates traffic they are also competing with their own affiliates on their vertical.

They should be banned from SAS.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    That's a nice cookie disappearing trick. You send them traffic, the visitor goes to affiliate site, they click to go back, and your cookie is overwritten!

That's the ultimate parasite - Doesn't even require an install or consent!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Awwwh rrrggghhhh Guess this explains why I've only ever had one sale with em. Have been with em for quite a while, too. This kinda stuff has happened to me before so you'd have thought I woulda noticed it.

I had an experience with another merchant who no longer has a program so am pretty sure this wasn't always the case with them. Maybe this only started fairly recently?? ....can't believe I woulda missed somethin this obvious looking.

Am sorry to say, I know how most of us feel about em and I still do, too (altho recent events has not made me very happy at all) but this shouldn't be allowed on a network level. Merchants bein able to run their business how they want to is one thing but this shouldn't be allowed.

Any newbie types probably don't even know to look for this, may not even visit the site to even know it exists or even understand if they do see it to know what it means to them. Those of us who aren't the newbies shouldn't have to keep visiting a site to keep checking in an effort to see this when it does happen.

ok, my little babblin is over befor a certain person calls me a whiner. They're gettin taken off of my site now, tho.

I have to agree with purplebear on something.. I keep hearing comments that a merchant can do whatever they please (not in this thread, but in others)

This should simply NOT be allowed at the network level.

Publishers are as much a part of this business as merchants, and should be respected & represented by the networks as well. Without our sales, they wouldn't get paid..

Now that is a good trick ... send traffic to your affiliate site, when they click to buy it sets their own cookie which replaces your cookie ... Zappos does the same thing ... as do most of the gardening sites on Linksuck, CJ and SAS ...

The worst part is that Brian is so wasting his time with the toolbar issue, he is not taking care of the real business at SAS.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Has anyone actually reported them to SAS or just talked about it here? It would be nice if they saw it here, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to.

Nope I did not report them I just will not promote them and thought I would let the affiliate here know about it, I did however notice that a person from SAS was looking at these post yesterday.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    I did however notice that a person from SAS was looking at these post yesterday.
    That's a keen eye. Hopefully it gets addressed then.

Click on sowhatif.com ad and then click on the Just For Curves ad. Once on the Just For Curves site click on Plus Size Resources and you will find out that Just For Curves is also an affiliate on SAS promoting several other plus size merchants. I am beginning to see why it is difficult to make sales with some of SAS merchants in spite of being ?parasite? free.

Gene
    TCS

The merchants are crooks, offline, reverse sales all the time, and the network allows toolbars.

What a waste of time to use any merchants at that network.

Personally my problem is not with the network but the merchants, I think all networks has merchants like the one talked about here the not just SAS.

I mostly have a problem with merchants promoting any other sites but if they promote any other affiliate site that really bugs me. And if they promote their own Affiliate Site then *!%$# should hit the fan.........

ABW Ambassador
    Shareasale should never allow a merchant to join their own affiliate program and then promote the affiliate site on the merchant site.

That is something that a network should prohibit. An affiliate should never have to worry about the cookie being overwritten by the merchant, who is an affiliate.

I wonder what Brian has to say about that.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Shareasale should never allow a merchant to join their own affiliate program and then promote the affiliate site on the merchant site.

That is something that a network should prohibit. An affiliate should never have to worry about the cookie being overwritten by the merchant, who is an affiliate.

I wonder what Brian has to say about that.
    Maybe there will be another productive round table discussion on the topic with the same output as the toolbar topic.

ABW Ambassador
    Shareasale still get the network fees, and the merchant gets the commission from the sale.
    The original affiliate gets nothing.

Sound fair?

I'm astonished that a merchant thinks they can do what they want with our visitor once they arrive.

If a merchant wants to be a publisher, they could certainly launch an independent unlinked affiliate site. Maybe then they will see how hard we work for our traffic. But to build on the traffic sent by other affiliates in good faith? Unbelievable.

I have adopted a zero tolerance policy for these types of leaks.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread