ABW Ambassador
    Angry Randall Scott Cycle Company BLANK TERMINATION EMAIL
    I think a blank email with the title "Randall Scott Cycle Company Affiliate Program Application DECLINED" is pretty rude and downright arrogant. Especially since I have been promoting them for a couple of years with quite a high amount in sales in that time. I think I might have written to them recently as I was wanting to use their datafeed for one of my best high converting websites and this is what you get in return, an arrogant blank TERMINATION email.

I will also reply to their blank email with a link to this thread and I wait eagerly for their response.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    I think a blank email with the title "Randall Scott Cycle Company Affiliate Program Application DECLINED" is pretty rude and downright arrogant. Especially since I have been promoting them for a couple of years with quite a high amount in sales in that time. I think I might have written to them recently as I was wanting to use their datafeed for one of my best high converting websites and this is what you get in return, an arrogant blank TERMINATION email.

I will also reply to their blank email with a link to this thread and I wait eagerly for their response.
    Sure seems absolutely rude and arrogant on the part of the Randall Scott Cycle Company of Boulder Colorado. Especially when the affiliate page on their site claims, "Unparalleled customer service is our signature and separates us from other online retailers." Such a shame.

But, there are some other good bicycle retailers on SAS. I've had an opportunity to meet the folks from JensonUSA. They are nice people and have a good range of products. ShareASale Exclusive, good datafeed - you might want to check them out.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I would "second" Bill's suggestion for JensonUSA. I've never met the people, but I've been using their datafeed for awhile now and make a sale every now and again. Don't think any sale for them has ever been canceled or reversed or anything like that.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes I'm using JensonUSA and I agree it is a good program and datafeed. I was hoping to get some links for other SAS cycling merchants but it seem like the same lazy, arrogant manager is running these programs as well as I wrote about here a few weeks ago: http://forum.abestweb.com/newreply.php?t=116235

It's a shame these cycle companies have managed to hire the worst possible affiliate manager, maybe it's time to contact the CEO or Director of these companies and let them know of the idiots running their programs.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Sankey Magic does this too! *******s

ABW Ambassador
    Just to update this.

Jensen USA have been a good replacement and I'm now sending sales to them daily.

As for Randall Scott Cycles...

First thing is I wrote to a rep I know at SAS and asked her to contact them for me just to see if they would be willing to let me use their datafeed for my cycle shop and not to be used on a coupon or any other website. She wrote a nice letter for me and they completely ignored that. So I asked SAS management to contact them and again Randall Scott Cycles gave no reply or response to their email.

So I thought maybe their email is just not working or something so I rang them myself earlier and I was quite shocked to be honest from the phone call.

I was greeted by a man who asked what I wanted and what my call was about. I asked if I could be put through to the affiliate department. He said they don't have an affiliate department in a very unfriendly and sarcastic tone. I said, could I please speak to someone about their affiliate program. He said "No". I said surely I could speak to someone and he then said I could email them and gave me the affiliate email. I said I had already tried to send several emails but I got no response. He definitely did not want to help me so I said can I speak to a supervisor and he said he is the supervisor. I said well your obviously not interested in helping me, can I speak to a manager, he said he is the manager and proceeded to chuckle in a sarcastic tone. I said I thought you were on customer service front line and then you tell me your a supervisor and now you say your the manager. He said yes he is all of them, I said well your either one or the other in my books. I said are you going to get someone I can talk to about your affiliate program he said no, if you want to know anything your going to have to go through me. I said well you should learn some manners and your attitude is disgusting and I hung up.

What a joke this outfit is. I then checked some other affiliates websites that use their datafeed and I'm glad I'm not using it now anyway as most of their products lead to dead pages and the few that do work have different prices to the affiliates pages. I wouldn't want to put a cent into a company like this who treat people so arrogantly. They also have a terrible reputation in the cycling community as I have visited forums etc for cyclists and it sounds like customers have similar experiences like me in customer service.

Why doesn't SAS terminate their account? If they are not available to SAS reps, I would think they shouldn't be working with them?

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I was greeted by a man who asked what I wanted and what my call was about. I asked if I could be put through to the affiliate department. He said they don't have an affiliate department in a very unfriendly and sarcastic tone. I said, could I please speak to someone about their affiliate program. He said "No". I said surely I could speak to someone and he then said I could email them and gave me the affiliate email. I said I had already tried to send several emails but I got no response. He definitely did not want to help me so I said can I speak to a supervisor and he said he is the supervisor. I said well your obviously not interested in helping me, can I speak to a manager, he said he is the manager and proceeded to chuckle in a sarcastic tone. I said I thought you were on customer service front line and then you tell me your a supervisor and now you say your the manager. He said yes he is all of them, I said well your either one or the other in my books. I said are you going to get someone I can talk to about your affiliate program he said no, if you want to know anything your going to have to go through me. I said well you should learn some manners and your attitude is disgusting and I hung up.
    Wow, if he worked for me I'd want to know so I could show him the fastest way out of the office! Amazing!

ABW Ambassador
    Why doesn't SAS terminate their account? If they are not available to SAS reps, I would think they shouldn't be working with them?
    I wish they had some screening process to weed out advertisers like them but you get bad ones on every network.

Wow, if he worked for me I'd want to know so I could show him the fastest way out of the office! Amazing!
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was the owner running the business by himself. Obviously they are short staffed as their datafeeds are not up to date, they don't respond to emails and if this is the best they offer in customer service then it says it all!

I also forgot to mention that after I asked to speak to someone about their affiliate program he said he would not allow any solicitation, I could not speak to anyone and I would have to email them....!

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the owner running the business by himself. Obviously they are short staffed as their datafeeds are not up to date, they don't respond to emails and if this is the best they offer in customer service then it says it all!
    You're probably right about that.

My bet is they started, or tried to start, an affiliate program, then something changed and it got junked -- but the owner/manager/chief wiseguy or whoever he is thought, "What the heck. I'll leave the program open and whatever is in place, just in case someone makes a sale once in awhile for me."

Definitely sounds like the guy's 1) a jerk, and, 2) has abandoned the affiliate program and any affiliates still trying to work with them.

Ugh!
    Generate more fake news.

15 years and counting
    More likely it was the owner answering you, Scott Randall himself. With an Est. Annual Sales of $760,000 they don't have much room for employees. Year Started: 2004
    It makes the things worse, if the boss is like that, what can you expect of others?

Well, even if they were not screened beforehand - I think SAS should call them, and if this is the response they're giving affiliates, to terminate their account.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    As much as I would love all Merchants to be responsive, as well as wonderful to talk to on the phone - if there is a case where one is not, I don't believe it calls for us terminating them.

Think of it this way - what if you were an Affiliate that was having great success with this Merchant, and generating a solid monthly commission check.

Then you find out that ShareASale has terminated their account because.... "They were unresponsive to another Affiliate".

That isn't going to make you happy as someone who was doing well with the program.

In situations like this, I would simply recommend to an Affiliate who has had trouble communicating with a certain Merchant to move on and utilize one of the Merchants in the niche that IS very reponsive and gives them what they want. Every Affiliate has a different level of comfort in terms of communication - I don't want to try to impose one rule to try to cover them all.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    As much as I would love all Merchants to be responsive, as well as wonderful to talk to on the phone - if there is a case where one is not, I don't believe it calls for us terminating them.

Think of it this way - what if you were an Affiliate that was having great success with this Merchant, and generating a solid monthly commission check.

Then you find out that ShareASale has terminated their account because.... "They were unresponsive to another Affiliate".

That isn't going to make you happy as someone who was doing well with the program.

In situations like this, I would simply recommend to an Affiliate who has had trouble communicating with a certain Merchant to move on and utilize one of the Merchants in the niche that IS very responsive and gives them what they want. Every Affiliate has a different level of comfort in terms of communication - I don't want to try to impose one rule to try to cover them all.
    I understand that and thanks for your input.

Yes I have tried to find other merchants in the cycle industry but they are very few and far between, at least ones that offer a datafeed.

Let's take a look at what is on offer and you might see why I'm trying hard to get active with any merchant I can:

ShareAsale:
    JensonUSA: currently active
    Randall Scott Cycle: Deactivated as above

AvantLink:
    PricePoint: Recently Deactivated most of their affiliates (they were one of my biggest earners)

CJ:
    Nashbar: Was converting until they updated their datafeed after I sent many requests, now they don't convert even though I send many clicks per month. Prices are not the same on datafeed as their site and they still won't fix this.
    Performance Bike: Datafeed out of sync, dead pages etc but apparently getting redone like Nashbar (great, not).

So that's it, I have a high converting cycle shop but I can't get any decent datafeeds besides 1 so that's why it's very frustrating.

I understand that and thanks for your input.

Yes I have tried to find other merchants in the cycle industry but they are very few and far between, at least ones that offer a datafeed.

Let's take a look at what is on offer and you might see why I'm trying hard to get active with any merchant I can:

ShareAsale:
    JensonUSA: currently active
    Randall Scott Cycle: Deactivated as above

AvantLink:
    PricePoint: Recently Deactivated most of their affiliates (they were one of my biggest earners)

CJ:
    Nashbar: Was converting until they updated their datafeed after I sent many requests, now they don't convert even though I send many clicks per month. Prices are not the same on datafeed as their site and they still won't fix this.
    Performance Bike: Datafeed out of sync, dead pages etc but apparently getting redone like Nashbar (great, not).

So that's it, I have a high converting cycle shop but I can't get any decent datafeeds besides 1 so that's why it's very frustrating.
    Hey, I just saw that AvantLink added a new bike merchant, Makai Bikes. Would this be useful to you?
    Generate more fake news.

Cool
    I never thought Iíd have to defend the Image of the cycling industries presence in the Affiliate industry, but some assumptions I guess should never be made. I hope you donít mind me chiming in. I am Jared Saunders and I am the affiliate program manager for JensonUSA. We believe in the success of our affiliate program and are grateful for the work our affiliates have put in. We all know that our affiliates are incredible assets, great business partners, and many even become good friends. The management choices and communications that were made by other cycling industry programs are not something you'll be seeing from Jenson USA. We donít outsource our program management to anyone, and take great pride in keeping us comparable to the best programs on SAS. I wanted to let you know that Jenson USA is strong, stable, and not going anywhere.

Are you, or does someone you know need help getting off a sinking ship? Get in touch with me. We would love to have you as part of our program.

Also feel free to tell me what I can do for you that would help fill the hole in your cycling industry promotions. I know it was mentioned that I have good data feed, what do you consider a great datafeed? What else is there that these other programs had that was appealing to you? I am more than ready for your feed back and participation. If you Need ANYTHING you can Call me, email me, or if you are local come in for a visit.

ABW Ambassador
    thanks Pakiha for your feedback and it's a shame other bicycle affiliate managers don't have the same outlook as you, instead of damaging the reputation of their industry.

Your datafeed seems to work well but if I see anything that I could suggest to improve I will let you know. One thing I would like is to get ftp access to the datafeed. The main thing for me is that it reflects the prices on the merchants website (including discounted prices) and that it is updated regularly. This is happening with your datafeed which is why it converts for affiliates.

Randall Scott Cycle Company Affiliate Program Application DECLINED

Just got this today! good thing I had already switched all my links to their competitor!

I RANDAL SCOTT On YOU!

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey Glinted...just sent you an email, check your inbox when you get a chance

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread