Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,040
    I am logged in via SSH trying to unpack a file.

    The files directions say to type in:

    gunzip -d -c filename*.tar | tar xf

    when I do I get the error message:

    r: Old option 'f' requires an argument
    try 'tar --help' for more information


    Does anyone know what I need to do to correct this?

    TIA

    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    68
    Try typing:
    tar vxfz filename.tgz

    It's been years but i believe that should do it.

  3. #3
    Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,040
    Thanks, but that didn't work.

    Here is what I got

    tar (child): filename.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

    Any other ideas?

    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

  4. #4
    Affiliate Miester my2cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    far far away....
    Posts
    2,161
    I dont know much about this... but i ran into the samething.

    are you using a tar file...

    this is the wrong command for a zip file

    JOe

    And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

  5. #5
    Affiliate Miester my2cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    far far away....
    Posts
    2,161
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by my2cents:
    I dont know much about this... but i ran into the samething.

    are you using a tar file...

    this is the wrong command for a zip file

    search the programing forum... for an answer

    JOe

    And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

  6. #6
    Affiliate Miester my2cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    far far away....
    Posts
    2,161


    And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

  7. #7
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    Make sure you're working in the same directory that the file you want to untar is in.

    It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

  8. #8
    Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,040
    I am in the same directory.

    the file is filename-123465465.tar.gz

    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    550
    tar -xvzf filename-123465465.tar.gz

    Andrew Edmond
    CandlePeople Affiliate Manager
    http://www.candlepeople.com

  10. #10
    Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,040
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew@CandlePeople.com:
    tar -xvzf filename-123465465.tar.gz

    Andrew Edmond
    CandlePeople Affiliate Manager
    http://www.candlepeople.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Ok, tried that and got this:

    filename-123465465/
    filename-123465465/filename.pl
    tar: Skipping to the next header

    gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

    and I land back back the prompt

    arghhhhhhhh


    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

    [This message was edited by ~ Michelle on January 07, 2004 at 01:00 PM.]

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador buy_online's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,234
    MIchelle,

    I just went through this yesterday, as I am changing over one of my machines here to Linux Mandrake 9.2.

    First thing, the "filename*.tar" in their suggestion shouldn't have the "*" asterisk in it. Or should I say it needs either the filename or the asterisk, but not both. The asterisk is a wildcard (just like in DOS).

    So, first thing try taking out one or the other. Be careful though, because leaving the asterisk in will un-compress all of the "Tarballs" in that directory.

    Here are some other things to try (maybe repeats of earlier posts):

    "tar xzf tarfile.tar.gz"

    or

    "gunzip -c tarfile.tar.gz | tar xf -"

    Please notice the trailing dash in the second example, I think it was what generated your initial error message(you may not have had it).

    Good luck.

    Fred

    You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

  12. #12
    Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,040
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    MIchelle,

    I just went through this yesterday, as I am changing over one of my machines here to Linux Mandrake 9.2.

    First thing, the _"filename*.tar"_ in their suggestion shouldn't have the "*" asterisk in it. Or should I say it needs either the filename or the asterisk, but not both. The asterisk is a wildcard (just like in DOS).

    So, first thing try taking out one or the other. Be careful though, because leaving the asterisk in will un-compress all of the "Tarballs" in that directory.

    Here are some other things to try (maybe repeats of earlier posts):

    "tar xzf _tarfile_.tar.gz"

    or

    "gunzip -c _tarfile_.tar.gz | tar xf -"

    Please notice the trailing dash in the second example, I think it was what generated your initial error message(you may not have had it).

    Good luck.

    Fred

    You might just be a Redneck if - _Birds are attracted to your beard..._ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


    Fred, please see other thread.

    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

  13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Shared hosting with SSH
    By likemynick in forum Domains & Hosting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 13th, 2006, 03:26 AM
  2. BettyM, Silly SSH Question
    By MSS in forum Cusimano.com Scripts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 16th, 2004, 09:53 AM
  3. Can't install via SSH
    By ~Michelle in forum Cusimano.com Scripts
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 8th, 2004, 10:12 AM
  4. SSH ???
    By Gordon in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 22nd, 2002, 01:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •